Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What's the best map to purchase for Bangkok, Chiang Mai?

Nov 27th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

I have heard a few people mention the Nancy Chandler maps, but I was looking on Amazon and they recommend it being a secondary map to a regular one for Bangkok. I want to go ahead and order them now so we can familiarize ourselves with both cities before going there.

Thanks! 27 days and counting until we leave!
Nov 27th, 2007, 06:30 AM

I'd just get the two Nancy Chandler maps. The only other map I use regulary is the Skytrain map for Bangkok - get it free at a Skytrain station.

The Nancy Chandler map is not to scale, but it will orient you to the city and gives great recommendations for all kinds of things.
Nov 27th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathie. I know you were the one who mentioned the one for Bangkok. Not sure how much we'll be doing on our own but I want to have a decent map for when we do wander off!
Nov 27th, 2007, 07:25 AM

no need for a map of bkk....it is quite easy really....it sort of defies mapping...

nancy chandler will help, but in and of itself it is a bit difficult until you have been to bkk...
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Lonely Planet do a v. good folding map of Bangkok. They also have a road atlas of Thailand, Lao Cambodia and Vietnam which has street maps of the major towns (inc. Chiang Mai)
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:55 AM

I have several different maps of Bangkok, but the one that always gets packed is my Nancy Chandler map. I like that the sois are well numbered. Some maps that I have hardly number the sois off of Sukumvit. Happy Travels!