Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What outwear would you pack for late August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm heading off tomorrow to visit Japan for the first time and was wondering whether I should bring any outwear or just a wrap for the plane. I can't imagine that even a light trench would be welcome with temperatures in the low-70s to mid-90s and high humidity. Last minute sartorial suggestions particularly welcome from female travelers.
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 01:45 PM

No outerwear.

I had a longsleeved, thigh length sun wrap for the plane- very lightweight knit, just enough to keep me comfortable in A/C while asleep, and cool enough to wear on the way to the airport.

But I can't imagine wearing any kind of coat in that humidity, just buy an umbrella if you don't like getting wet. The light rain was a relief to me- I used my umbrella only in downpours and as a sun shade.
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 03:15 PM
ltr

I just returned yesterday from Japan. No outerwear. It is just too hot and humid. The plane was cold though so something light for there would be fine.

I wore long cotton skirts and capris with cotton t shirts and still felt like I was in a sauna. I was in both Tokyo and then traveled south to Kyushu.

Have a great time!
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 05:34 PM

I concur with the two posts above. You need a light hoodie for the plane and trains, and it can also serve as a "robe" over your pajamas, if, for example, you have to run down to the front desk of your hotel. I also take a North Face polar fleece quarter zip jacket. It's very thin and light weight.

Take an umbrella with a windshield, a $2 Coleman plastic poncho (or you can probably get one in Japan), and drink tons of water to combat the humidity.

Kyushu is amazing. Have a wonderful trip, and please report back.
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 07:04 PM
kja

In general, I'd take a rain jacket and silk scarf.

But of course, it depends on where, exactly, you plan on going. For example, mountain tops can get cold or windy at any time of year....
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 07:36 PM

kja, you are correct, now that I think about it. I have a North Face waterproof jacket that works well in the Japanese mountains. It can be worn over my fleece pullover.

I would not, however, take a jacket with a lining. It's way too warm in Japan for that.