Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   What market to choose??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/what-market-to-choose-669534/)

olemiss Jan 11th, 2007 07:07 PM

What market to choose???

Hello Fororites:
To my dismay, I only have 2 full days to spend in BKK. We are staying at the Tower Inn of off Silom(We don't have those miles like everyone else). This is my 1st time to SA. I will be heading to CM and Phuket also. What is the best way to spend this precious time?
DAY 1
morning-GP/WaPo/WatArun
afternoon-klong ride/ massage
drinks-bed supper club
dinner?
DAY 2
morning-
-Should I go to the floating market or Chatuchak weekend market?
-afternoon- JT House
drinks- Oriental, dinner ??
Thanks for any input you have. I have thoroughly enjoyed this talk forum! It is a plethora of information!!!!!

OJudy Jan 11th, 2007 08:23 PM

Since you will be in Bangkok for only two days, you might want to consider the Suan Lum Night Market or the Patpong Night Market (a little dicey), both fairly close to your hotel. The floating market would involve a half-day, due to its distance. The Chatuchak Market would also involve a half-day, due to its enormous size.

crellston Jan 12th, 2007 12:12 AM

Here is a link to Fodors own suggestions for a 2 day visit:
http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...;feature=30002
This pretty much covers most of the key sights to see and I would suggest that your your first day is pretty much spot on!.

As far as your second day is concerned, how nmuch do you want to see a market. Chatchuchak is by far the biggest and best, but, as Ojudy has pointed it is a half day trip ( my suggestion would be to leave really early, say 6.00 am and return mid morning. That way you miss the worst heat of the day. Be aware that the market only runs at weekends. I was not impressed with Suan Lum market - too touristy. If your hotel is close to Patpong, this market is woth a visit just to say you have been there!
There are some great hotels in BKK and with only 2 day IMO you should decide what and where you would like to eat. Search on this forum for bangkok restaurants or try http://www.bangkok.com/tatler/index.html

Have a great time

hobbes Jan 12th, 2007 02:05 AM

Depends on your agenda. If you want to shop without necessarily a shopping list for the fun of a flea market is in the discovery, then Jatujak - despite the heat, distance, crowded nature of stalls - is a treasure trove. The floating market is entirely an experience with less shopping opportunity IMO. Also, Bed Supper Club is an experience for dinner, not drinks IMO. The whole sitting on a bed and being served a course meal is the reason to go. Drinks there is just another bar. Near Silom is Sirocco for drinks and dinner, amazing view of Bangkok, dress warm and is a tad expensive. Also not far is Vertigo at the Banyan Tree for a similar view, drinks only.

Gpanda Jan 12th, 2007 02:22 AM

With only two days, I would not go to the floating market. It's at least 1/2 day, much of it riding in a car through boring scenery. I'd go to Chatachuk market, assuming your second day is on the weekend. Make sure you get a Nancy Chandler Map of BKK. It has a map of the market and makes it much more accessible.

simpsonc510 Jan 12th, 2007 05:30 AM

olemiss

I agree that you should do your dinner at Bed Restaurant, not just drinks in the club. The experience in the Bed restaurant is worth doing, in my opinion. I've never had a bad meal there, and the "entertainment" is most certainly unique!! I'll be happy to explain that comment, if you want to hear about it.

I've been to Chatuchak many times, and yes it is hot, crowded, and HUGE. Since this is your first time to BKK, you might consider spending a couple of hours at this market, just for the experience. Who knows, you might end up buying things! There are shippers right on the grounds of the market, if you should happen to buy too much stuff. Since I've been to Chatuchak a number of times, I often opt for Suan Lum night bazaar instead, because it is cooler and less crowded... but you don't find as much stuff to look at!

Sirrocco restaurant is at the top of one of the tall buildings (State Tower) near the river. The view is truly awesome!! But I would go to the top of this building and have only a drink (expensive) at Sky Bar, and save dinner for another place, such as Face (Thai) or Guisto (Italian). In my opinion, Sky Bar is more upscale than Vertigo, with a better view of the city. Dress nicely for Sky Bar... they don't allow the backpacker look or chunky sandals, flip flops, etc. They do turn people away who are not in appropriate dress. Expensive drink, but worth it for the view!!

I hope you will enjoy BKK as much as the rest of us, and make time for a few more days in this vibrant city on your NEXT TRIP to SEA.

Have a great time.

Carol

rache2005 Jan 12th, 2007 05:52 AM

Yes both the floating market and the chatanuck market, will really be a full days worth, becuase of size and distance. The floating market is very far, and with traffic even farther. We got up really really early to go to the floating market, and it took the whole day between the travel time ther, and the time spent there, and getting back, it was actually very late eveining when we got back to the hotel. The weekend market we got there about 10am, and were back at the hotel by 5pm, but we were totlly exhausted. Its quite a hike up ther by skytrain, and after walking the enormous place, then getting the skytrain back to the nearest station to china town then getting a cab back to the hotel, we were really tired and just spent the rest of the evening in the hotel.

I agree for such a short time I think the night market would be the best plan

smiles,
rach

BillT Jan 12th, 2007 06:04 AM

Best way to maximize your time and do/see as much is to GET Ratt!

Kathie Jan 12th, 2007 07:41 AM

I would take a diffeent approach.

You have a mere two days in Bangkok, a city which has weeks and weeks worth of things to see, do and explore. So if I were you, I'd choose to spend both days IN Bangkok, and I wouldn't choose things that I could do on other stops on this trip. So:

Day 1: GP/Emerald Buddha/Wat Po Note that if you take the water taxi, these are all at one stop.

mid-day break for lunch

In the afternoon, take a klong tour, ending at Wat Arun (or stopping for you to look around a while at Wat Arun).

Dinner: Bed is one option, but I don't find it uniquely Bangkok. It's a well-worn concept (eating on beds) and while the food is good, it's western or fusion and I didn't find it all that interesting. I'd opt for a high-end Thai place instead. Or, make late afternoon/eaerly evening spa appointments at Face, followed by dinner at LaNa Thai or Hazara - Indian food -(both at Face)

Day 2

If you've read other posts of mine, you may already know that I am not a fan of the floating market. It's not at all a place to shop, merely a tourist photo op. Indeed, I'd suggest you not visit a market in Bangkok. There are many other things to see and do, and you'll be visiting markets in Chaing Mai. For the same reason, I'd cut the idea of teh weekend market.

So, day 2, I'd start with merit-making at Wat Ben, I'd go to the Prasart in the morning (you have to have an appointment in advance, and you'll need a driver to take you there). Alternatively, you might visit the Suan Pakkard Palace, maybe the teak palace too.

In the afternoon, visit the Jim Thompson house. Also, do any shopping you must do in Bangkok (jewelry? Jim Thompson outlet?)

Drinks: Bamboo Bar at the Oriental, Dinner - depends on what kind of food you want.

olemiss Jan 12th, 2007 12:40 PM

Thanks for all your discerning information!!!!
I am definatly blowing off the Floating market. It sounds interesting but I can't waste that much time. The weekend market still sounds interesting/crazy. Being a girl from the deep south, I can handle the heat. On the other hand, my born and bread Bostonian travel buddy might have some isssues!!
Bed has tweaked my interest! If we go I will make sure to wear pants instead of a skirt!!Love to hear about the unique "entertainment".
We will make the Sky Bar and Bamboo Bar.Thanks for the dress code info.

Totally off the subject:

Have you known of anyone swimming over to the small island(Koh Pu) of of Kata beach in Phuket? Is it safe??
Thanks

BillT Jan 12th, 2007 12:50 PM

Go see the Calypso Cabaret at the Asia Hotel.

simpsonc510 Jan 12th, 2007 03:02 PM

olemiss...
re: "entertainment" at the Bed

I've been there probably a half dozen times now, and each time I see something different. The first time I went, the entertainment was an "art film" being shown on the far wall, just above the staircase. The film was of chunks of bread (like rolls) being broken apart and then going back together again... strange!

Another time, there was a girl walking around, striking a pose, and then either spraying perfume or blowing bubbles into the air!

There are sometimes DJ's playing some really GREAT music.

The most interesting and unique entertainment was the last time I was there. There was a "car" (full sized, on rollers, with a pretend engine) sitting in the middle of the restaurant. There was a mechanic (with billy-bob teeth and grease monkey clothing) who "worked" on the car and interacted with the people who were there having their meal. It was really unique!! The guy didn't have to say much, he just worked on his car and let you sit inside his car, which also had a "bed"... FUN in every way.

Expect the unexpected at the Bed.

Carol

simpsonc510 Jan 13th, 2007 06:24 AM

olemiss
If you visit my web site at cjscollection.com, you can view some photos of the BED, along with the car! Just go to the site and click on the PHOTO ALBUM link on the upper left side of the page. Choose the ASIA album and have a look. Seems a little slow to download, but you'll find lots of hotel rooms, apartment photos, as well as my Phuket villa, and SACZ and BED restaurants. Have a look!
Carol

olemiss Jan 15th, 2007 09:15 AM

Carol,

I loved the photos!!! I am heading out on Wen. and will be heading to Bed and Sky bar while I'm in BKK. Phuket looks great. I am staying over in Kata Beach also. Thanks for eveyones help!!!

rhkkmk Jan 15th, 2007 10:20 AM

bamboo bar is nothing special at the oriental...i would skip it...oriental is interesting however as a walk through or for a meal....lord jim is fantastic for lunch...

go to the nite market on wireless and rama IV instead of the weekend market....w/e mkt takes 1/2 day...

do a klong tour instead...

simpsonc510 Jan 15th, 2007 01:42 PM

olemiss
I'm glad you found the photos to be to your liking.

I happen to think (sorry Bob) that the Bamboo Bar has a special ambiance.

Carol

kingbonza Jan 22nd, 2007 04:37 AM

The drinks at the skybar aren't that expensive. 350Baht for a Margurita is OK when you throw in the view.

travelmom13 Feb 23rd, 2007 10:26 PM

Bob-
Is the nite market on wireless and rama IV, sulan nam? Better or worse than...?