What is the best Jet-Lag cure?

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best Jet-Lag cure?

I am travelling to Thailand in 18 days (but who is counting?) and upon return I am imagining terrible jet-lag. In the past, returning from Malaysia a couple of times, I have faced a horrible week of being wide awake at 3 am and completely sleepy at 3:00 in the afternoon. Has anyone found anything that REALLY works?
Thanks,
Susie
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:48 AM

I use melatonin and have found it very helpful. I augment it with behavioral strategies such as exposure to early morning light, etc. If you are a melatonin responder, you'll likely find it helpful, but about 30% of people are not responders.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:49 AM

PS do a search here for jet-lag and you'll find some long discussions.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM

I have the same issues but just figure it is just part of the process of traveling overseas.

I also get a lot done between 2-8 a.m.!

I try to stay awake as late as possible and each day I am able to sleep a little later but my sleeping pattern doesn't return to normal for about a week.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 02:08 PM
PackedAndReadytoGo

Knowing that a person traveling a long distance is accustomed to a particular time zone it is advised that one take numerous short naps along the entire duration of the flight. This typically eliminates jet lag. This is what we do and it does help. In addition, when we arrive to our overseas destination, we take multivitamin and mineral supplement called Berocca (many websites on this) and then take a light sleeping pill in the evenings to ensure a solid night sleep. We only do take these for the first 2 or 3 nights. We fly from eastern USA to Singapore. Berroca is available should be available in Thailand. We get in Singapore.

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:09 AM

I did two things after a 12 hr difference from Boston to Cambodia trip- one- accept that you will have this so you don't feel depressed about it, its natural and two- get a prescrip for Ambien or something like that and once you get to your trip destination and then again when you are home, take it for a couple of nights each time to get more quickly into the sleep routine where you are. Avoid excess caffeine, don't take too many naps that will prevent you from falling asleep according to the clock and good luck on the plane(s) which is the one place I had no luck with naps. Oh well! Jet lag for a couple of days won't kill you luckily!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:23 AM

Another vote for Melatonin the first 3 nights after you arrive. It worked for us.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 12:35 PM

I'm totally against drug therapies unless you are self-destructive.. The best thing to do is to avoid napping, work-out daily, eat clean (no excess fats or sugars), vitamins, water, no caffeine and wait for the time to pass!
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Returning fron SEA I always have a week of jet lag, waking at 2:00 a.m. I just regard it as part of the trip. I've stopped worrying about it. Why add agonizing to the jet lag. After a week it always goes away.
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 03:07 PM

I did the melatonin thing ONCE and that was enough for me. Had the most horrible nightmare... I'm someone who cannot tolerate the annual flu shot...haven't had one in 42 yrs.

DH likes Ambien. I've never taken any sleep aide. I just grin and bear it for about five days. There's a lot I can get done at 4:30 in the morning! lol
Carol
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 09:45 PM

Sunshine is the best natural way to beat jet lag. Here's a link to a site about it:

http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/c...er/jetlag.html

And below is a quote from a different site:

A third technique uses light to reset the body clock, because light has the ability to inhibit the production of a brain hormone that triggers sleep. If you are traveling from east to west and arrive during daylight, go outside and take a walk in the sun. If you are traveling from west to east, avoid the sun for the rest of the day. The next morning, no matter which direction you have traveled, take a walk outdoors in the sunshine. Avoid wearing sunglasses when outdoors during the first few days, and keep lights on indoors during the daytime.

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 03:05 AM

I think preparing yourself for a long flight also has a lot to do with it. Make sure you are packed and ready days ahead, avoid stress by being prepared, getting to airport in plenty of time, try not to ['think' about Jet-lag too much, try to relax and enjoy the flight.
On arrival I would treat your body with 'care', relax, unwind, eat simple for the first few days and don't rush things.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 10:49 AM

I used "No Jet Lag" on flights from Los Angeles to Asia. It is a product from New Zealand. It worked like a charm. I had no jet lag which is a miracle for me. You can find it at Magellans and Whole Foods.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:07 PM

Well, I like to arrive to Bangkok off of the 6:20AM flight out of L.A., then go to my serviced apartment,unpack, and go to sleep for about 3 hours.I set the alarm clock. Then wake up and stay up the rest of the day and go out shopping and eating. I then go to bed at my normal time and keep on that schedule. Now, when I return home, that's a different situation since I usually return home the night before I go back to work and am at work around 7:15AM the morning after having just gotten off the plane. I just work the week on a mind-over-matter mentality and then when the weekend comes, stay in bed the whole weekend. It's worked for me for decades of long flights. Happy Travels!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:33 AM

look what is now a jet lag cure.....maybe I'll get some

http://tinyurl.com/yqz3sm

Aloha!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM

A few weeks ago it was dried cherries.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:58 AM

HT - LOL
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:52 PM

HT, you are too funny, what can the girls do?!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:02 PM

Wonder what "the certain side effect" was??
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:28 AM

Hi

I came to Bangkok a couple of weeks back and I landed early in the morning (about 6 am). I was able to stay awake all day with the help of Red Bull (the little brown bottles that they have seem to do the trick), coffee and moving around in Bangkok all day. I also went to the fitness room at the hotel and did an hour of workout. I think I went to bed at 11 pm and I woke up a bit early the next day but from there on I didn't have any problems. But the time difference to Thailand is only 5 hours for me these days Have a great trip.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -