Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What is the best destination in Asia to travel in 2020

Oct 22nd, 2019, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Hey guys I am planing to visit Asia next year with my wife. I need to know the best destinations of Asia to visit as I need to plan my tour before I visit. I have toured in many European countries and this is my first time in Asia. So I need to get all the knowledge as mus as possible to travel joyfully and safely. So please help me to make my tour safe and happy. Thank you
Oct 22nd, 2019, 05:00 AM

There is no best destination.

All we can do is help you choose what would be best for YOU, but you need to tell a lot more about yourselves.

When in next year? How much time will you have? How much money? What are you most interested in? Palm fringed beaches or snowcapped peaks? Or both?

What kind of trip are you looking for? Backpacking(budget travel via public transport)? Trekking in the Himalaya? Horse riding in Mongolia? A diving cruise around the islands of Indonesia? Cycling/motorbiking Vietnam?

If you don't know where to start, start here:

Backpacking: Budget Independent Travel - Advice, guide & packing help

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Asia

Last edited by BDKR; Oct 22nd, 2019 at 05:03 AM.
Oct 22nd, 2019, 05:07 AM

I see on your profile that you listed Thailand and Japan as favourite destinations, so you could start with those. Both are quite safe(in case of Japan very safe) destinations and work great as a first trip to Asia. You could even combine the 2 countries if you have at least a month. I you have less than a month I'd choose either Japan(best time spring and autumn) or Thailand(best time November-February) perhaps adding some time in Cambodia or Laos or Singapore or Malaysia etc.
Oct 22nd, 2019, 07:00 PM
kja

if you don't already have specific interests, you might want to go to your nearest bookstore or library to consult some good guidebooks.
Oct 23rd, 2019, 04:39 PM

Your budget should be a consideration. SEA is much cheaper than Japan, for example. You need to consider transportation, food, and lodging costs.

Another factor to consider is your tolerance for the exotic. Japan is quite clean, but other parts of Asia, not so much.
Oct 29th, 2019, 03:29 PM

Everyone has favorites, but I think that Japan is a great introduction to Asia. Here is a link to a great resource, which has info for planning itineraries as well as suggestions by areas of interest and time of the year: https://www.japan-guide.com/
Oct 30th, 2019, 09:02 AM

Yes, please share some more info so we can make suggestions. And the internet is a good source to get a feel for a country.
Oct 30th, 2019, 06:17 PM
kja

Originally Posted by JessicaBr View Post
the internet is a good source to get a feel for a country.
I must admit that I disagree -- it's too hard for most people to tell whether the information they are finding on the internet is valid, reliable, current, representative, etc.

I'll take a good guide book or two any day!
Oct 30th, 2019, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by kja View Post
I must admit that I disagree -- it's too hard for most people to tell whether the information they are finding on the internet is valid, reliable, current, representative, etc.

I couldn’t disagree more. I still buy guidebooks, they are a bit of a comfort blanket but, in reality the last few I have bought have been next to useless - esp. the Rough Guides South Africa I am using for our current trip is particularly hopeless! I have found much more useful info on travel blogs, travel websites.
I would be happy to share some of these for Asia but I suspect that as the OP has not returned this is just another post eating our time. Hopefully they will prove me wrong and respond sometime soon....
Oct 30th, 2019, 09:41 PM
kja

Originally Posted by crellston View Post
I couldn’t disagree more. I still buy guidebooks [but] I have found much more useful info on travel blogs, travel websites.
crellston, I suspect that you are not the "usual" consumer of internet travel information.
And to be clear -- I would never recommend that anyone rely ONLY on guidebooks.
But to get an idea of where to start planning "a first trip to Asia"? I definitely recommend starting with guidebooks. JMO.
Oct 30th, 2019, 10:53 PM

Au contrive kja, I suspect that I am an entirely usual consumer of internet travel information. I can’t think of anything that would cause me to be singled out as special case

There are many parts of the world where a guidebook IMO, is entirely superfluous because of the wealth of info available online . New Zealand and Japan immediately spring to mind, but there are many others.

My first line of attack when planning a trip, is to look at certain tour operators, travel magazine and newspaper websites many of whom provide an astonishing wealth of information, way in excess and more up to date than any guidebooks, even down to detailed itineraries.

Each to their own. Would nts life be boring if we all did it the same way. If we did, we would all probably end up in the same place!

PS is using block capitals any different from using bold type? Just kidding!!
Oct 31st, 2019, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by kja View Post

I don't understand. So if the OP is looking for advice on which country he should visit in Asia, he would need to buy guidebooks for all countries? I suggested the internet so he can see and read about different cultures, things he would like to see. To give him an idea of what would be of his interest.
I have been to many countries in Asia. And they are all so different. At least with the use of the internet, he can narrow down which countries he might like.
Oct 31st, 2019, 07:02 AM

"So if the OP is looking for advice on which country he should visit in Asia, he would need to buy guidebooks for all countries?"

Rough Guides used to have a travel planner guide First time in Asia(although it never included all of Asia)

Amazon Amazon
Oct 31st, 2019, 07:46 AM

I don't understand. So if the OP is looking for advice on which country he should visit in Asia, he would need to buy guidebooks for all countries? I suggested the internet so he can see and read about different cultures, things he would like to see. To give him an idea of what would be of his interest.
I have been to many countries in Asia. And they are all so different. At least with the use of the internet, he can narrow down which countries he might like.
I agree. The www is a good start. If a guidebook is desired some highlight world regions and not specific countries.
Oct 31st, 2019, 03:53 PM

Pardon me, but IMO the OP sounds like a early teenager asking the best restaurant in NYC.

Let me suggest the nearest public library to learn more of what's available in the world of Asia. Perhaps with the ascendance of social media, many folks are too timid to find their own path thru life, or even thru a 2 week holiday.
Oct 31st, 2019, 05:40 PM
kja

So if the OP is looking for advice on which country he should visit in Asia, he would need to buy guidebooks for all countries?.
Uh, no. The OP can go to a library. Or a bookstore that allows browsing. The OP would have all sorts of books with all sorts of information speciifically intended to help people plan -- pictures and possible realistic itineraries for independent travel and information about climate and when to go and what the highlights might be and maps and all sorts of information, all in one place. And IMO, libraries and bookstores are nice places to visit for any purpose.
Nov 1st, 2019, 07:12 AM

anyway, I think the OP has lost interest already?