Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What is Japan like around New Year's Day?

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am considering flying to Osaka, arriving on the 29th. A few days in Kyoto and a visit to Arima Onsen would be on the itinerary. Might visit Nagasaki.

Are tourist places open during that period? I suppose that Arima would be packed for New Year's Eve? NY Day is a day to go to a shrine and spend time with family, as I understand it. Looks like Dec & Jan are the months with the lowest precipitation in Kyoto and Nagasaki, so that is good. Average lows around 40.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 07:23 AM

Bonjour mrwunrfl,

Tourist places are teeming with visitors over NY, since most administrations usually close from Dec. 28 to Jan 4 approximately. Expect onsens to be full and the price raised accordingly. Book as far in advance as you can for the nights Dec 31 - jan 2.

On NY day, temples and shrines are packed, most sport fleamarkets (good bargains - the merchants lower their price, it's supposed to bring good luck), very good ambiance.

I just heard my company is giving us 6 days paid holiday (dec 24 - 31) so I'm planning to be there, yippeeee !
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:10 PM

I too am considering my next trip to Japan at New Years, but I am concerned about the entire country shutting down the first 4 days of the year. I want to experience Oshogatsu but I don't want to waste 4 precious days on vacation. What would I be able to do if everyone else is on vacation?

mrwunrfl, what have you planned for these days?
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Florence, I am happy that you will have extra paid vacation! and that you can use the time to visit Japan!

offlady, my current plan is to go someplace else. That is the busiest travel time of the year in Japan and I don't think I would enjoy it as much as at other times.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:41 PM

Bonjour Offlady,

Don't be afraid, Japan is never, ever, completely shut down. During the NY holiday shops are open, so are private museums, showrooms, temples, shrines, fleamarkets, etc.

Only the administration is closed (= state museums and zoos too, alas), to the exception of the main post offices
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:33 PM

So...can this shopaholic still go shopping? Will places such as Asakusa and Ginza be open by Jan.2nd?
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 07:31 PM

From my experience this year, all department stores were closed on NYD, but began their 'fukubukuro' ('lucky-dip') sale on 2nd. Hardly anything was open in Akihabara, Ueno or Asakusa on 1st, many more on 2nd but a few shops didn't open till 4th or 5th (Mon). Convenience stores remain open throughout, some 24 hours.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:23 PM

Hi mrwunrfl,

Was in Osaka on NY Day last year. The city was dead. And if you're not fond of crowds, Kyoto - the city of temples would be teeming with locals. Also the Shinkansens are all fully booked as the city folks make their way to their respective hometowns to visit relatives.

The Osaka Aquarium was opened on NY Day. It boasts a multistorey column of fish. But I found the admission fees pricey since I'm not a fish fanatic.

This is what I did - I caught the train to Kobe. It's a nice quaint town to walk around. I headed for the area where the foreigners lived and you can view the houses they built during the old port days to resemble English Tudor designs or European styled houses. They are open and there are many people walking around. A pleasant walk. Also, it also has the only other mosque outside Tokyo. We just happened to come across it wandering in the small housing streets.

Also managed to visit a Japanese temple on the hill there. There were no throngs of people to contend with as most of them were locals. Caught glimspes of kimono clad women there too.

All in all, was not a wasted day.

Cheers
Tiger Lily