Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What I wished I had known before I left for India?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip with my 22 year old daughter to visit my son(who is in India doing an internship)next month. Is there some piece of advice or information that you wish you had known to see or do before you went to India? Thanks!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 07:47 PM

to be more relaxed and adjust to the indian way of life and movement....move slowly

allow more time to do things...don't pack too many things into days...

we were glad that we choose to visit fewer cities and to get to know the ones we visited better
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 08:32 PM

Be prepared for a relentless sensory barrage. Keep a sense of humour about yourself. India can be unpleasant. But if you approach it he right way mentally it can be an unforgettable experience.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 04:50 AM

I agree with all comments above. If you take your time and approach everything with an open mind, it'll be an incredible experience for you. Rushing will only lead to frustration.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 03:54 AM

"When in Rome ...".

Yes, don't rush; don't ever get frustrated with things not being quite like home!!

Marvel at the largest democracy on the planet and forgive what sometimes seems to be crazy beaurocracy.

And carry a loo roll, water bottle, and "wet wipes" at all times.

Where in India are you going? Without that piece of info it's hard to throw out suggestions for places to see that you might not have come across in your research.

Cheers.

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Delhi,Agra,Deehra Dun and possibly one other city.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 04:43 AM

And how are you travelling, dutyfree? Assume delhi-agra by train (and return?) - yes? no?

And how are you getting to Dehra Dun?

I got there via a very roundabout route, and left for Calcutta on the train. But, again, if one knew how you were getting there, it would help with your original question. But then, pause, maybe what you really want is hints on things you can see anywhere, rather than particular places or locations.

Am I missing the point?

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

No,actually its more of a general question.Kinda like when people are going to Rome or traveling Italy and ask for the basic "hints".
I have been trying to read up on my guidebooks but know that Fodorites always seem to know more on the real deal of traveling in that country.Since India is quite different than going to Europe, I was just looking for those tips that one says when they get home from India.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 02:13 PM

I wish I had known what great same-day laundry service most of the hotels have (all the hotels where I stayed). I would have packed half as much.

Give them your laundry before 8 AM, its back on the foot your bed by 6PM, all wraped in nice packages. Inexpensive. Perfect.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 03:05 PM

I haven't been to India for quite a few years but I wish I had packed even lighter since they sold the best, lightweight cotton clothes for that climate. I ended up buying a few things there and wearing only those items since they were so comfortable and cool.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks-this is what I am looking for!
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 05:25 AM

And hand sanitizer, useful in most countries, is practically indispensable in India.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 02:50 PM

I saw a post about great and fast laundry service in hotels. We will be staying so called "1st class " hotels. Does anyone know about the cost of the laundry service? If it is reasonable, it would certainly reduce the weight of my luggage.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Dutyfree is in India RIGHT NOW. And I will be in India and Nepal starting the first of February-for FIVE WEEKS-can't wait!
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 07:14 PM

Each hotel has been different. $5 for a shirt at the Oberoi in Shimla, aobut $7 in Agra, $1.20 at Samode Haveli in Jaipur. You may find it much cheaper to drop it with a dhobi wallah near your hotels.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 03:35 PM

I wish I had really appreciated that most of my clothes (tops) really would not be suitable for India (because they were too formfitting, showed too much of my shoulders, etc or did not extend far enough down toward my knees) and that I would be buying an new travel wardrobe mostly at Fabindia, wonderful fabrics) on arrival. And that it was fun to do that and not too expensive. It would have saved me a lot of weight in luggage and given me more space for the return trip.

I wasnt fully prepared (though I understood about beggars, etc) for the limits I had to put on my self in interacting with people - and how much unwelcome attention my daughter received from men, even though modestly dressed in an Indian style. She taught me not to respond or even look at touts, beggars and others, even to say no - just to ignore them - it truly went against my American grain, but she was right. Taking pictures, looking at what people are doing etc immediately can propel you into a situation - if you dont want people to try to sell you things, stare at you etc. you have to tone down your friendliness, smiling, etc.
I wish I had not been so neurotic about packing hand-sanitizer type items - it really was not needed though relatively frequent hand washing and drying was a good idea. I actually was glad I took a cloth handtowel along.

Id say give yourself time to be relaxed and do the things that appeal to you as you go along - and do go to some of the small places, castles, and villages which are a welcome contrast to the cities.