Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   What gift to bring on my visit to Tokyo office? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/what-gift-to-bring-on-my-visit-to-tokyo-office-688382/)

jh0507 Mar 16th, 2007 09:40 AM

What gift to bring on my visit to Tokyo office?

I am visiting the Tokyo branch of my office (Broker/Finance business) and understand it is custom to bring a gift on a visit. What do you suggest I bring as a gift for the team?

angethereader Mar 16th, 2007 10:41 AM

whiskey

lcuy Mar 16th, 2007 11:35 AM

Chocolates or goodies that can be shared amongst the "team".

Make sure the box is wrapped. Wrapping that indicates you bought it at a "name store is even better.

signmeup Mar 18th, 2007 08:19 AM

Buy the whiskey on the plane-duty free if you want. and you can bring them some other goodie-- chocolates or something sweet- depends where you live.

mdn Mar 18th, 2007 11:44 AM

They will probably open the gift & keep it open in a central location in the office, usually by the assistant's desk, so that everyone in the group can help themselves.
Hence, a box of "American" goodies, like chocolate from Vermont (whole Foods has some), or some snack will be appropriate.
The point is not to get something that's expensive or branded (although branded stuff is always appreciated in Japan ;)
So, for example, if you're from NY, a box of chocolates from a local NY shop as opposed to a Swiss brand. Something like a bags/cylinders of potato chips in Texas BBQ flavor is also fine. If you can't find something with a local flair, then, opt for something "American".
Last option is Godiva & if for a single person, then get whiskey or JD. If you're buying for people that are more senior to you, then a bag of chips will not cut it. :) Although, I've known of some Japanese people who brought white T-shirts with pics of sumo wrestlers as gifts for their senior level mgmt Americans. It was a good laugh but probably not advisable.

W9London Mar 19th, 2007 06:32 AM

First question: is it for the office or for some particular clients? If the former, something sharable, definitely NOT whiskey. The gift is really meant for the "office ladies" and junior staff. Whiskey or wine would be more appropriate for a particular clients, or for the big cheese.

Third question: when are you visiting? I don't recommend a box of chocolates if your visit is in August.

Other etiquettes: shared gift (eg chocolate box) does not need to be wrapped (most duty-free shops don't), but individual gifts do need to be wrapped. Make sure you remove price tags. Godiva is received well (m&m is not), whereas Acme Brand macademia nut chocolates with pictures of Eiffel Tower or Statue of Liberty (or whatever) is rather, er, too touristy. Beef Jerky and those packages of 5 miniature lipsticks (meant to be shared among "office ladies) are rather passe.