Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What do you think is the most popular trip for first-timers to China?

Old Feb 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everybody--

I'll speaking about destinations that are of high interest to Fodor's Forum members this weekend at the New York Times Travel Show.

I feel like people are interested in traveling to China more then ever. I wanted to ask you if there was a certain itinerary you would recommend to first-time visitors. What combination of cities/places do you think is the best introduction?
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 06:23 PM

Beijing, Xian, Guilin are my choices. I know Yangtse River cruise is at the top of many American's preference, but I opted for Huangshan - so picturesque, different, extraordinary. Many a "seasoned traveler" could not believe I did not do the cruise, but I did not have time for both and so the cruise dropped to the bottom of my list.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if you look at tour brochures, which are presumably pushing what sells, Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai, possibly Yangtze cruise, Guilin, Hong Kong. See http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...7&tid=35112585 for a variant. That's what I did the first time, including the Yangtze cruise (in '97, before it really changed).

You could liven it up by adding Suzhou and Hangzhou around Shanghai, Chengdu for pandas and Leshan, or possibly Lijiang and Tiger Leaping Gorge.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM

Like Thursdaysd, we visited in China (in our first and only trip there) Hong Kong,Guilin, Xian, Shanghai and Beijing.
We made our itinerary based on what we read and what different companies advise.
We were on a private tour (my DH and me, with private guide, driver and car). We had different guides,etc in each city, and we have flights between cities.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 12:02 AM

You have to see Beijing, of course.

And like everyone else I went to Xian (but preferred the Grand Mosque to the Warrious). I took a train to Chongqing and then a trip down the Yangtze to Wuhan. I went to Yangshaou.

My favourite places were probably Xiamen and some small town on the way there from Guanghzou that I can't remember the name of.

It was a first visit (1997) - so I suppose it depends what sort of first time visitor you are talking about.

Old Mar 1st, 2008, 04:31 AM
Amy

My first (and so far only) trip to China pretty much followed the "tourist route" of Beijing-Xi'an-Hong Kong, but with time in Chengdu and Tibet in between Xi'an and HK. Most of it was the "well traveled path" and pretty easy to do; I've got a trip report here if you'd like to check it out:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...&tid=34656568d

I'd definitely recommend this for its variety of experiences in a relatively short amount of time!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 06:24 AM

we are looking at a tour we found at the Boston Travel Show and China was not even at the top of our list but it seems like a great deal and very interesting. My husband is slightly disappointed that Hong Kong is not on the itinerary but it starts in Beijing, Jinan, Qufu, Suzhou, Tong Li Village and ends in Shanghai. We are trying to get a group together for either middle of October or beginning of November if anyone is interested in joining us. Also does anyone know if any of these places are near where we could see Pandas? Any help would be appreciated!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 06:37 AM

Well, you can go to the Beijing zoo to see a panda or two, but the zoo itself is depressing, and you don't get much of a look.

To really see pandas you need to go west, and base in Chengdu. There's a breeding research center just outside town that you can visit on a half day trip (your hotel will know how to arrange that) - you want to get there early, when the pandas are fed and are more active. That was one of the highlights of a long trip for me. Or, further out of town, there's the Wolong National Natural Reserve. I haven't been, but I expect it would be an even better experience.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

I just want to check back and thank you for your thoughtful responses. I did plug the Asia board this past weekend at the travel show---so if you see any new faces around...
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Come to think of it.. I was asked by someone in the audience what tour company was the most popular here on the boards. I explained that many traveled independently of a group; I didn't have a specific recommendation off the top of my head but I encouraged them to come here.

But now I'm curious---do you think there is one tour group/organization that seems to be the popular kid here for trips to China?
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:44 PM

Interesting question - I'm not sure I've detected a fave for China.

The first time I went with the Smithsonian - expensive, comfortable hotels, very good food, interesting study leader, but way too many shopping ops, too many tour members, and it felt like being in a cocoon.

The second time I went with Intrepid - excellent itinerary, budget hotels and transport, so-so tour leader, small group, much more fun.

Then I spent seven weeks touring on my own - much the best! (With a little help from CITS for National Week.) If I were going to use a tour company again I'd probably go with Intrepid.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 04:29 AM

Hi Katie,

As a first-time traveler to China this coming October, I'm planning to fly into Beijing, see the important sights there plus the Great Wall, then head to Shanghai (with visits to Suzhou or Tongli or Xitang; and maybe Hangzhou), Xian, Chengdu, Guilin/Yangshou, and Hong Kong. This is a 24-night trip that I'm putting together for my cousin and me.

Monica