What do you like to have from a Spa? Your ideas/tips welcome for a new place

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A boutique guesthouse we often stay at have said that they are planning to add a small Garden Spa, now this will not be Mandara / 5 star type but is aimed at something extra for guests to enjoy. This is a comfy boutique style place, just 6 rooms, so it's not resort style, but they give class service and do things in style.

As those of you who have frequented Spas know the 'menus' can be pages, but do you skip the expensive treatments ? If you are staying somewhwere what really are the things you want ? So here is a chance to have your say and opinions about what you 'really want' from a small Spa/Massage !

Anyone interested can vote from 1 lowest to 10 highest 'value' what they enjoy or would appreciate being available, so you can give all a 5, or whatever:-

Foot Reflexology / Massage -
Pedicure -
Manicure and Hand Massage -
Aromatherapy Oil Massage -
Thai massage ( the pull/stretch style ) -
Scrubs -
Facial massage / Cleansing -
Herbal Steam Room -

Any other ideas/comments and I will glady pass them on!

Thanks for ideas/suggestions.

Old Sep 4th, 2005, 03:58 AM

James-I think the key to a spa is Thai massage. A very important aspect to this is to have masseurs that psy sttention to the client. In a small spa, I suggest you not try to cover all the bases. Some scrubs along with facial and mani/pedicures could compliment the Thai massage. Again, the key is to have the client feel he/she is an individual and not just a body moving through an assemby line.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 08:58 AM

I have to say that I've had all of these treatments at varous spas in Thailand and would vote to have them all, except that doesn't seem practical for a small spa.

Having a herbal steam room is a great adjunct to the other services. I like to steam before a massage. In addition to Thai massage, I'd recommend having aromatherapy massage (not all of us can have Thai massage, Gp). It's nice having foot reflexology available as well.

For a small place, I don't kow that having manicures and pedicures is as important.

I always enjoy having facials and body scrubs available, but they arean't as important to me as the massage options.

I'd also recommend that they put together half day packages of services. That a treat I like to give myself at the beginning and?or at the end of my trips.

OK, so here are my ratings:
Foot Reflexology / Massage -10
Pedicure -3
Manicure and Hand Massage -3
Aromatherapy Oil Massage -10
Thai massage ( the pull/stretch style ) -10
Scrubs -6
Facial massage / Cleansing -6
Herbal Steam Room -10
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 08:58 AM

PS. James, where is this place?
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 10:44 AM

For me it is all about Peaceful Tranquility, no loud noises, (i.e. animal, human or industrial). Soothing sounds, soft music, running water, aromatherapy in terms of pleasant smells, private in/outdoor areas, steam!!! Complimentary fruit juice and/or tea's. Finally, a good spa should be squeaky clean.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 01:39 PM

I know something about, by professional experience of my wife, and of course, first question is Kathie suggestion.."Where is it?"
Or somethig similar, who is your possible public? How much cant he spend?
Personally if I went to BKK i would like to find a place whith a very very nice decoration.
FIRST think we value is the place must be very CLEAN, amd must seem very clean.
It's important to give very good personal tract, undestad english is you want to take tourists.

Aromatherapy Oil Massage It must offer Shower after-
Thai massage ( the pull/stretch style ) -
Scrubs -
Facial massage / Cleansing -

depends of your public you must offer treatments of slimming winkles...
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the ideas, this is a subtle way to ttt the question, come on everyone, we need ideas and suggestions!

My personal tip to them is do do a 3 hours package including the massage, steam, relfexology and I would also like to be able to have some 'relaxation' place with nice aromas, perhaps some gentle old classic Thai soft music etc
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:01 PM

james...i agree with lizanne...the most important thing is the setting and peacefulness of the spa. spa services
should always include thai and aromatherapy massage...

i went to a day spa in chiang mai that was awful...people kept walking in (men
managers or employees and women talking on cellphones). the bathroom and showers were poorly placed and required you to walk thru a lobby area in a towel to get there. it was quite dreadful.

i am going back to the marriott spa...that was heaven and worth the money
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:59 PM

I think having a room that can support couples is always nice. My FH wouldn't go to the spa and get a thai massage without me.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 06:21 PM

a lounge where i can linger for as long as i like, to read, to reflect or just to relax.

i hate spas where i hv to be bundled in then bundled out after the treatment like sushi on a conveyor belt.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

Execllent, this is great, the really good thing is that most seem to agree on aspects and also those things which I also agree absolutely are like staff around and people on cellphones plus I really agree with the ideas of somewhere simply to 'relax '. I will put these and other ideas together but I think heading in the right direction is them actaully 'asking' for ideas ( well, it was my wife's suggestion to them really that I would ask but they thought it an excellent ideas ).
From my experience they will 'do it right' based on their service at the moment and how they do things.