Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What clothes to wear in Thailand's heat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Thailand (BKK, CM, Ko Samui) in July and I am cocerned with what shoes and clothes to wear in order to cover up and stay "decent", yet cool. I also would like some shoe recommendations that would endure a lot of walking, cover my toes, stay fashionable, and cool at the same time.

Is this nearly impossible? How does one cover arms, legs, and toes without dying from heat exhaustion?
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 09:46 AM

loose fitting natural fiber clothes...my wife likes cottons and linen....

she also wears a tevia 'dress' sandal made of suade most of the time...

i wore my sandals all the time on this last trip except sas leather walking shoes...

after a while you ignor the heat....and take lots of taxis...i don't find thailand a place to do lots of walking, at least in the cities...
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:04 AM

I saw your pictures, you guys always looked great!
Would tank tops with thin shoulder straps be ok, or is that only for the beach?
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:05 AM

The sun is intense, so you'll be more comfortable with light clothing covering much of your skin. I like cottons or cotton/linen blends but there are some who swear by the hot-weather synthetics. I typically wear sandals most of the time. I like some of the Keen sandals, that cover your big toe.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Save tank tops for the beach.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:34 PM

Ex Officio makes very good shirts. Lightweight and well-ventilated. The sleeves are easily adjustable. Great daytime wear.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 04:42 AM

This'll sound strange but I swear by starched long sleeved shirts. They keep their shape even when drenched with sweat - and trust me - you'll be just that on occasion.

Unless you're into that clammy, stuck to the flesh, wet look -

trust me - this works. Tried and tested.

As for shoes : GEOX
[you'll find them in BKK as well]
mucho holes - mucho foot breathing - ahhh
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 06:49 AM

i always take a couple of starched shirts also....for going out to dinner mostly....
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Long sleeved starched shirts...it doesn't get too hot to wear long sleeved shirts? Where do you purchase some of these brands of shoes? REI?

Sorry for not knowing...when I lived in CA I only wore flip flops and now that I live in Chicago I only wear sneakers and boots.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

P.S. Can I wear a bikini on the beach? Tourists won't mind but Thais will?
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 09:27 AM

You can wear a bikini at the beach. You can wear shorts and tank tops at the beach. But in the cities, dress with more coverage.

As I mentioned above, it often will help you feel cooler to cover your skin and protect it from the sun. I don't wear long sleeves in Bangkok, but I do wear half-sleeves and I wear long pants.

REI carries some good hot weather clothing, but I like Ex Officio even better. For shoes, I find shoe stores all over Seattle that carry Keens and Tevas and others mentioned.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:50 AM

I'm very fair skinned, so sunburn is a big problem. I prefer the cover up method over lathering on the sunscreen on most of my body. I do the sunscreen on the exposed parts. So I take tops that have collars and long sleeves. I wear long pants, too. If you haven't been out in the sun much recently, remember the tops of your feets will sunburn fast. So I have been known to wear socks with my TEVA sandals.

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 01:27 PM

ahhh Ms hoodlims, if I'd only realised you were a women my suggestions might have been different.

I think it was around the time you mentioned wearing the bikini that I worked it out...

So starched shirts mightn't be appropriate.. heh

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 06:02 PM

I agree, cover up a bit, as it is also much more culturally polite. Collars protect the back of the neck from sunburn. Light, natural fabrics, a thin shirt over your tanktop would be fine.
I'm probably older than most Fodorites, but we do lots of walking, all the better to see things, and so I get very hot. I have a white cotton floppy hat, and always carry large linen or cotton hankies to mop my fevered brow. Long linen or cotton pants are more comfy than skirts, and sneakers with very short socks are for me comfier and more hygeinic than sandals.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:32 PM

I'd say to take tank tops for sure, especially for Ko Samui. Take a button front shirt to put over tank if going into a fancier restaurant, temple, or if you think you may get sunburned. Sandels - I like Cole Hahn with the Nike Air system built into them. These are cute sandels that don't look so sporty so they go very well with skirts. These don't cover your toes though (which I was fine with). Skirts are way cooler than shorts, and make them to the knee which you need for visiting temples. We also took very thin cotton t-shirts. Depending on your age and where you are going at night...young Thai and other travelers wore nightclubbing cloths very much like in California (wear skirts though, way too hot for jeans). Beware the rule about a back strap on your shoes for going to palace in BKK (no flip flops). Take your bikini.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 03:06 AM

One thing to remember is that laundry services are cheap. There will always be a place doing laundry near your hotel. Just look for the signs. Consequently, you don't have to bring enough clothes for the entire trip. We bring enough for 5 days and get our laundry done often. You don't have to buy two weeks of clothes.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Dogster, yes I am a woman, but its no problem that you made a mistake. I probably would've too. I was thinking "starched shirts...never starched a shirt before, but if it helps..."

I am young (25) but will DEFINITELY be bringing a hat and sunscreen!

I think I might also save some of my money to buy clothes in Bangkok...they have to have the right things!