Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What clothes to take for November in India?

Sep 14th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi, folks.I leave in six weeks for a month(November) in India.Getting excited!Do I need to take some cold weather clothes with me? I will be travelling as far west as Pushkar and as far east as Varanasi.Will the nights and mornings be cold?

Also ,another unrelated question.What immunizations have you gotten for India? I have gotten Hep A,Typhoid,polio and tetnus.I'm reading on Lonely Planet that some are getting Jap.Encephalitis and lots are getting rabies.What do you think?Of course,I'm taking Malarone,also.Thanks in advance!
Sep 14th, 2005, 08:46 AM

It would be wise to take a warm fleece jacket. It will be cold in the evenings and early mornings in Pushkar and as you go North.

As for the vaccinations, depends on what you intend to do..Hep A/Typhoid and tetanus are the norm..
Sep 14th, 2005, 10:49 AM

Do have hep. B? That would be wise. If you ar flying from the USA then check with the CDC for the latest recommendations. Besides the usual meds there may be others specific for a certain area and/or time frame, i.e. related to various outbreaks. Once when we went we had to get enceph. shots as well but only 1 of 5 times. Also be very careful, as I bet you will be, about what you eat. I always caution tourists against eating from street vendors. The aromas are tempting but its risky from a sanitation POV IMHO. Good luck!
Sep 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Here's what the travel doc at Johns Hopkins told me-if it's hot when it arrives,it's safe to eat.It doesn't matter where you eat,the most important factor is the hygiene of the person preparing your food,and you can't tell that by looking at the dining room.If it's cooked and hot,bacteria will be killed.That's what she said.
Sep 14th, 2005, 05:09 PM

You def need some warm clothes for Nov evenings esp. The rule with India is to layer so you can shed or add gradually. I would say take a full sleeve lightweight jacket or sweater and a woolen wrap or shawl then you can wear 1 or the other or both depending on weather. Jap encephalitis is your call - I have not had it but my partner has. Hep B makes sense.
Sep 15th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Massagediva: Its not just bacteria/germs its also the quality of the ingredients used. The aroma from the fresh samosas is enticing but what about the oil used? How old is it and what kind is it? It could be old and though not infectious it could make you sick. Also what about the flies that are around an open stall? Don't forget that in India cows are sacred and thus roam wherever they wish to go, and go wherever they wish to go! Feces and flies. Now you see? I am not so sure about all germs being killed by heat but I think that is generally true. If you are coming from the US or Europe you already have a virgin belly. Why chance it by eating from stalls? If you have never been to India before perhaps once you are there for a day or so you may begin to agree with me. Its like nothing you have ever seen before I'll bet. BTW I have been to India 5 times in the past 26 yrs. "Delhi-belly" has hit me all but one time and once I got typhoid so things can happen. I think it is best to be very careful. The sanitation there is relatively substandard. JM2C. Good luck.
Sep 15th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Actually I just did this: Put "cooking and bacteria" in the goolge search box. Interesing results.