Reload this Page >

What cities to visit - 8 days in Japan.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2001, 08:36 PM
Connie

Hi! We have 8 full days to rail tour Japan on our own in early June. We want to stay in Tokyo for 2 nights and then head out. How many days in Kyoto? and then sleep on the train overnight and wake up in Sapporo? visit Hiroshima, visit Takayama? visit Beppu? What is the best town/place to stroll and chill out for a day? I know I can't see it all, but I would like a flavor of the country and not just see the big cities. I want to remember 1 great castle, temple, garden or view and not count off how many of each I have seen. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. <BR> <BR>

Old May 16th, 2001, 04:37 AM
leo

Connie, <BR>Eight days is not that many. You will be jet lagged the first two. My advise is to limit you travel to SEE MORE. Leave Sapporo, Beppu, Takayama for another time (you will come back). I also remember reading somewhere that the night train to Sapporo is sold out months in advance (but someone can correct me on that). <BR>I think 3 nights in Toyko (depending on your flight), 3-4 nights in Kyoto and maybe one in Hakone or Miajima Island (it depends on your departing flight schedule). You could make it to Narita from Hakone (Hakone to main Yokohama station to catch the Narita express) for a flight at 1 or 2 PM. I think it is better to take day trips from a central location than travel to exhaustion, but then you do end up spending time in the big cities, which you say you do not want. <BR> <BR>You can see Hiroshima and Miajima Island as a LONG day trip from Kyoto. On my next trip, I plan spend a night there. It is a very beautiful place and would be a very nice island to stroll around in with all the day-trippers gone. You will want to stay in a traditional roykan one night. That could be in Miajima or Hakone. <BR>In Toyko, the Asakusa area was a suprise. Very small-town neighborhood feel, and I enjoyed walking through the little stalls on a Sunday afternoon. For local flavor I also really enjoyed the temple flea market, the walk through Kyoto at night, the visit to the brush store in Kyoto. You have to seek out the small town experiences in the big cities, but they are there if you look. <BR>Anyway those are my suggestions- I'm sure there will be others. Have a great trip

Old May 16th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Florence

First, I suppose you'll buy a JR railpass. IMO, Beppu is too far away and you can't do Sapporo AND the south in a 8 day trip, unless you want to spend more time in trains and checking in and out of hotels than visiting the sights. I'd personally skip Hiroshima too, and concentrate on Kyoto and its area, but I know how many people feel about seeing it. <BR> <BR>You could go directly to Hiroshima from day 1, stay 1 night, visit Miyajima island, then head to Kyoto, with a stop on the way in Himeji for the best castle in all of Japan (the TV series Shogun was shot there). <BR>Stay in Kyoto for 4 days, have daytrips to Nara and Kurashiki (Takayama is great but 5 hours from Kyoto and 4 from Tokyo). <BR>Then spend the last 2 days in Tokyo. <BR> <BR>My favorite: <BR>Best castle: Himeji <BR>Best garden/temple: Myoshin-ji in Kyoto <BR>Best town to stroll: Kurashiki, Miyajima <BR>Best place to see the Japanese in action: Nishiki food market in Kyoto, Yanaka area in Tokyo <BR> <BR>I wish you a very pleasant stay. <BR> <BR>

Old May 16th, 2001, 04:53 AM
mari

connie-- <BR> <BR>it's been a while since i lived in jpn, but one of my favorite castles was himeji castle on the shinkansen bullet line btwn tokyo and kyoto (in okayama, i think?). u can see it from the train. it's known as the white heron or white egret bc it looks like that bird, poised to fly. last time i went, there was no concrete and no elevator, as w/ some other castles. i also really like nijo castle in kyoto, home of shoguns, and the best feature in my mind are the nightingale floorboards, which squeak beautifully when u walk on them and which served as an early-warning system against intruders. my last favorite was across the jpnese alps in nagano, matsumoto castle. u can see clearly how the castle was defended at different levels, and climb terrifyingly steep stairs to the very top. <BR> <BR>as for temples, gardens etc., i like the ohara area outside kyoto--more serene and naturally gorgeous in any season.

Old May 16th, 2001, 06:29 AM
Florence

Himeji castle is in the town of Himeji, close to Okayama (where there's a very famous traditional garden), the Shinkansen (bullet train) stops there.

Old May 16th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Connie

Thank you to everyone for the quick replies! I am most grateful and am now thinking perhaps - Day 1&2 in Tokyo, Day 3 on Miyajima Island (with short visit to Hiroshima), Day 4,5&6 (with stop in Himeji on the way to) Kyoto and then Day 7 back to Tokyo. <BR> <BR>Does that work? <BR> <BR>Can you also help me with: <BR>1.where to stay on Miyajima? <BR>2.what is in Hakone? (stop to look for Mt. Fuji? or is there more?) <BR>3.what is in Kurashiki? <BR>4.I would love one nice ryokan lodging with 2 meals - what city would I find my best chance of experiencing this? <BR>(I can splurge for one night at about 10-12,000 yen ($80-100US) per person) <BR>5.Leo - what flea market? I really enjoy seeing what kind of "stuff" people sell. <BR> <BR>Thanks Again! <BR> <BR>

Old May 16th, 2001, 11:56 PM
Florence

Sounds good. A few indications to help you organise your travel: <BR> <BR>Tokyo to Hiroshima by Shinkansen: 4 h 52 <BR>Hiroshima to Miyajima: around 1 hour ir I remember well (train + ferry from Miyajimaguchi station) <BR>Hiroshima to Kyoto by Shinkansen: 2 h 13 <BR>Hiroshima to Himeji " " : 2 h <BR>Himeji to Kyoto " " : 1 h <BR> <BR>There are a few ryokan and hotels in Miyajima but Hiroshima would be cheaper and more convenient to return to Kyoto. <BR> <BR>Hakone is (IMO) only good to see Fuji-san, not much else to do. Favor Nikko or Kamakura as daytrips from Tokyo. <BR> <BR>Kurashiki has very well preserved old neighborhoods and crafts. See http://www.city.kurashiki.okayama.jp...u/index_e.html for information. <BR> <BR>Try a search on this forum for "flea markets" under Japan. I've listed most of them in Tokyo, with addresses and dates, some time ago. <BR> <BR>In Kyoto, the two main are Toji market on the 21st of each month, at Toji temple behind the main station, and Kitano shrine on the 25th, both big monthly events, there's a smaller (and easier to navigate) one on the 12th at Myoren-ji (?) and a crafts market on the 15th near Kyoto Univ. You'll find the references and directions on the free monthly Kyoto Visitor's guide that you (must) can pick at the TIC in Kyoto (http://www.kyotoguide.com/e-whatson/index.html). <BR>

Old May 17th, 2001, 12:51 AM
Florence

Bonjour Connie, <BR>I've topped "Tokyo Flex Market" for you

Old May 17th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Connie

Thank you Florence! <BR>I saw the Flea Market posting and have printed it. The train times are very helpful! <BR> <BR>(By the way, it is funny you said Bonjour since we just went to Paris, so if you go there, I can share info with you.) <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 17th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Florence

Bonsoir Connie, <BR> <BR>I'm French and I was in Paris last weekend, from Geneva where I live, between travelling to Japan and recently Arizona.