Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   What areas to stay in Singapore & Bali (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/what-areas-to-stay-in-singapore-and-bali-1409539/)

TennesseeVol Jun 17th, 2017 02:29 AM

What areas to stay in Singapore & Bali

I will be traveling to Singapore and Bali in September, staying 3 days/nights in each place. Do you guys have suggestions on which areas to stay in each place? Even though I have traveled a lot, on this trip I will be traveling alone. So I would probably prefer somewhere to feel safe and possibly meet people to hang out with/talk to at night. At this point, I don't have any plans in either location, so I am open to virtually any area of town that makes sense. Singapore (from the limited research I've done so far) seems to be more expensive, but still reasonable compared to US cities, while Bali seems to be more inexpensive. I would say my budget would be from around US $150/night and down. I'm also open to hostels (but I am a little older now at 40), as I have had good experiences in the past meeting people to hang out with in different locations. Thanks for any advice!

Kathie Jun 17th, 2017 08:45 AM

Singapore is expensive. You might want to consider the YWCA International House. Well priced, well-located.

Three nights on Bali isn't much - is there any way you can extend your time there? If you want a beach, I'd recommend Sanur, or stay inland near Ubud, the cultural center of Bali. No matter where you stay you will meet friendly people.

jacketwatch Jun 17th, 2017 09:35 AM

This came up before. Singapore as Kathie said is quite high but if you use a hotel search engine and filter it for your budget you will find a good number of choices. I saw several on Orchard Rd, which is a great location.

jacketwatch Jun 17th, 2017 09:38 AM

https://www.hotels.com/search.do?res...m-0-children=0

kja Jun 17th, 2017 09:39 AM

In Singapore, I stayed at the Adonis, which suited me very well and sounds like it might suit you -- BUT it appears that it has changed hands, as it now seems to be the Hotel NuVe Heritage. It still seems to be getting good reviews, though, so you might want to check it out.

I agree with Kathie that 3 nights isn't much for Bali.

You might find some useful information in my trip report -- it's long, but it is searchable.
http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...a-and-bali.cfm

TennesseeVol Jun 18th, 2017 02:40 AM

Actually, this hasn't come up before in my questions. In one of my questions a couple of months ago, three hotels in Singapore were suggested: Oasia Hotel Downtown, YMCA International House, and The Rendezvous Hotel. But my question now is what areas of Singapore and Bali are recommended. I can and have done a quick search for hotels and see several in my price range. However, I'm not familiar with the cities, and just wanted some suggestions on what part of the islands to stay.

In regards to the length in Bali, I probably will not go back to SEA for a very long time (if ever). While 3 days in Singapore and 3 days in Bali is not ideal, I desire to experience at least a couple of different countries. I've already booked my flight into Singapore, and just can't pass up being that close to Bali and not go. I'm comfortable with the length on this trip, and hopefully I can go back to Bali for a longer stay someday!

It sounds like Orchard Rd is a good area in Singapore? Any other areas?
What about Bali? I see Sanur and Ubud were suggested. I want a beachy, touristy, lively area. I'd like beaches, restaurants, and bars but don't necessarily need crazy up-all-night party areas. So maybe Sanur or Kuta? It sounds like Sanur may be a little more laid-back?

jacketwatch Jun 18th, 2017 05:23 AM

It's come up on the forum before by others besides you.

MmePerdu Jun 18th, 2017 07:35 AM

My accommodation of choice, relatively budget priced by Singapore standards, is the Inn at Temple Street in Chinatown. I love the location, Chinatown is mostly low-rise, plenty of good inexpensive food and lively ambiance in general, very walkable (as is most of the city). The Inn is updated with traditional touches, the staff helpful and kind. After several trips to Singapore I wouldn't stay anywhere else. http://www.theinn.com.sg/

Regarding Bali, I'm afraid I have nothing to offer at a beachy location. I'm an Ubud & environs fan, have stayed in Amed, too, but love Ubud, generally stay just outside in Penestanan.

Kathie Jun 18th, 2017 07:46 AM

In Singapore, the important thing is to be close to an MRT station. There are literally hundreds of hotels that meet this criteria. Orchard Road is fine, MRT stations nearby. It's not my favorite part of Singapore, but it is a of favorite of many. Orchard road is a famous shopping area with lots of upscale stores. The YMCA International House is in a lively area, as is Mme Perdue's recommendation In China Town.

In Bali, you want beach, so you don't want to stay in Ubud. I like Sanur lively but not loud and raucous. Kuta is party central for slightly post-adolescent Aussies. If that sounds like your kind of scene - go for it. A beach area I would recommend against is Nusa Dua. It's a sterile, purpose-built tourist enclave.

jacketwatch Jun 18th, 2017 10:17 AM

Orchard Rd. is to Singapore what north Michigan Ave. is to downtown Chicago and Nathan Rd. is to Hong Kong. If you can get a place near there within your budget it's a good deal.

kja Jun 18th, 2017 01:13 PM

For my purposes, the hotel I mentioned above in Singapore, the Adonis now the NuVe, location was excellent! It is in a charming small street of shophouses with various shops and restaurants just a block or two from Raffles, within a few minutes walk of two different subway stations, and also with reasonably easy walking distance of several sites of interest to me (including Arab St. and the National Museum).

Southam Jun 18th, 2017 01:35 PM

If you don't want to stay at a beach, Ubud is in the centre and has long been the home of traditional and modern cultural events and activities. Most of the accommodation is low-rise, or in bungalows, usually with lush gardens. The steep ravines have been carved into startling farm terraces. Images: https://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/s...Bubud&fr=crmas

Southam Jun 18th, 2017 01:37 PM

Oops, I didn't specify that I was talking about staying in Bali (although there is limited beach space in Singapore, accessible by public transit.)

jobin Jun 18th, 2017 02:20 PM

I stayed in Little India, loved it. Not like the plastic and chrome atmosphere of Orchard Road but rather a laid=back and inviting area full of dining choices, MRT stations, shopping with locals (Mustafa Center), checking out the very colorful temples (no shoe allowed) and getting a glimpse of India/Paki/Bangla.

Very safe too, no one bothers another. Hotels smallish and homey, at least the one i stayed in, the Perak.

I've spent lots of time in China/Hong Kong and now have little interest in those folks or culture, wherever they are.

TennesseeVol Jun 19th, 2017 07:01 AM

Thanks guys. This really gives me a reference point while researching. I appreciate it!

MmePerdu Jun 19th, 2017 07:38 AM

Though I haven't stayed in Little India, I suspect the atmosphere may be similar to Chinatown in general. The decision may come down to which cuisine you prefer. While I enjoy Indian, Chinese is my favorite.

Also, I sometimes visit Orchard Road, especially Takashimaya Shopping Centre for Kinokuniya Book Store & browsing in Shanghai Tang, a district that's for me a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to stay there. That is, of course, a simple matter of personal taste. I prefer low-rise with local ambiance and Orchard Road seems an upscale glass-clad shopping district not unlike those you'd find in many of the world's cities. It isn't what I like most about Asia in general, though I know it has an appeal for many.

jacketwatch Jun 22nd, 2017 05:10 AM

Having visited both little India and China town my personal opinion is that Chinatown would be a lot better. And though crime in Singapore is generally low a friend of mine there who used to be a policeman there says that the highest crime rates in Singapore come from Little India. There have been calls for the riot squad though not in the last couple of years and all those calls came from disturbances in little India.

Mustafa we thought was frankly a bit of a mess.

JM2C.