Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What are thr best day tours to book in BKK to see the sights and how do we go about booking them?

What are thr best day tours to book in BKK to see the sights and how do we go about booking them?

May 14th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Can we wait until we get there? Are they expensive? Thanks for your replies!
May 14th, 2005, 01:37 PM

Here's a good operator that we've used in Bangkok and you'll see some of the day tours offered out of Bangkok by just scrolling down and clicking on them:

http://www.turismoasia.com/incoming/tours.htm

They're not too expensive, but keep in mind that some include meals or other services so that has to be weighed in. I don't think booking after you arrive is a problem, but I suppose that depends on how much time you have and your schedule. Not all tours are available on all days.
May 14th, 2005, 02:18 PM

We used Turismo also on our recent trip to Bangkok. They had a travel desk in our hotel and we simply signed up a day in advance. We took three trips with them - to Aryuthaya and the Summer Palace (about $40 US each, including a buffet lunch and a very pleasant 3 1/2 hour cruise down the river), to the Bridge on the River Kwai (same price, including lunch, train ride, boat ride and bus ride. Only four people were in our group. It was a very nice day out of the city.), and a trip to the Rose Garden (about $20, for an hour or so of dancing shows, boxing exhibition, elephant show, etc. We had some extra time, so we did this, but I wouldn't really recommend it. Very touristy.) The guides and drivers were all very good. We enjoyed the company of the other people on our trips. And there were no stops for shopping at over-priced stores, as on some tours.
May 14th, 2005, 02:20 PM

One more thing - it is very easy to get around in Bangkok itself and see the sights on your own. No need to book tours to see the Grand Palace, Jim Thompson House, Wats/Temples, etc. You can enjoy them all at your own pace by using the sky train, subway or taxis for transportation.
May 14th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Our first time to Bangkok we booked a tour through the Peninsula's concierge that sounded great but...it wasn't.

It was just us, that was good. But, we were very rushed everywhere we went, the guide didn't have much to say about Wat Pho, the canals, or the Grand Palace...except hurry, hurry, hurry, time is running out. Little did we know she wanted to have the time at the end to take us to some jewelry/craft shop and have us buy stuff. We bought nothing, she was angry. We complained to the concierge, and were given a 100% refund.

From then on, we used a car from the Peninsula to go to places far away (Ayuthaya and the Floating Market)...and went on our own inside Bangkok. The price of the private car was not much more at all than the tour price, so represented good value to us.

If you decide a tour is what you want, then you can certainly wait until you get there. That way, you can see the options you've got, and let how you feel and the weather play a part in your decision.
May 14th, 2005, 03:13 PM

There is truly no need for tours within Bangkok. You can hire a car and driver if you'd like, but I just take whatever transport is most convenient to get me to where I want to go. So I take a water taxi to the Royal Palace or Wat Po or Wat Arun. I take a taxi to the Jim Thompson house, etc. If you feel unsure of getting around, you can have your conceirge write down your destinations in Thai for taxi drivers. Always carry a hotel card with yous to give the taxi driver to get you back.

By the way, if you do opt for a tour (like to Ayutthaya and the Summer Palace) it's always cheaper to book once you get there.
May 14th, 2005, 03:35 PM

One of the nicest things you can do is to hire a long tail boat (they come with the driver) for a ride on the klongs. You can hire by the hour at the dock near the Oriental Hotel. You don't need a tour. I would not recommend the day tour to Ayuthaya, it's much better to do it on your own. We did the boat trip and you hardly see anything in Ayuthaya. We've also gone on our own and spent a night there, a much better option. As everyone else has said, you do not need tours in BKK, everything can be done on your own. Just get a good guidebook.
May 15th, 2005, 03:01 PM

i agree with the others about a guide in bkk proper...some however have hired drivers like rat or julie to take them around in the city and it facilitates this nicely and you are able to cool off more easily between sites in the a/c vehciles which they bring right to the door....you of course loose some of the fun of getting around on your own....i like both actually...we have never used a guide in bkk...we use a combo of skytrain and taxis....lots of taxis...you have to know generally where you are going and i often get the hotel to write something for the taxi man, should he be able to read which is not often the case...i also make sure the door man tells him where we want to go...i also use primarily the green and yellow taxis as they seem more savvy...

each hotel has tours available and they are also offered at every travel agency and at the piers at river city shopping and taskim pier....

the cost of a hotel car is significant...i disagree with what has been said above about that....they are nice and offer good service but usually are the most expensive...

every thai tour ends up in a shopping venue....i often leave the tour at that point---having told the guide that i am doing so....

no need for tours inside bkk...do it on your own or with a driver...do some sightseeing homework and it will all work out fine...
May 16th, 2005, 03:53 AM

I agree with those who say you don't need a guide in Bangkok. Taxis are amazingly cheap, too. For a really classic experience, hire a tuk-tuk (something my family members found to be a little more excitement than they wanted!)
May 16th, 2005, 06:21 AM

If you really want to see a lot in BKK within a limited time frame, do like we did last Nov, and on advice of many people here on this board. Book a taxi with a taxidriver who is used to this type of needs, and is efficient. Ratt is the name of the lady, of Chinese origin, who drove us around, with the efficiency no tour operator can match. Definitely for the very reasonable amount of money she asks
May 16th, 2005, 06:28 AM

Get Ratt- and stay away from the Tuk Tuks- unless you like to be "taken for a ride"
May 16th, 2005, 07:07 AM

I agree with Bill...stay away from the tuk tuks. And as for hotel cars, they are overpriced. I took a tour once, back in the 90s, and just booked a day tour of the floating market and the River Kwai area.I didn't want to have to figure out how to get there on my own. I had been in Southeast Asia for three weeks traveling around alone..and was wiped out... and found out about this tour the day before I was to fly home so I thought to "Just do it!" Plus it was all organized and easy.I paid $40. to the tour agent located within my hotel and that was it. The only drawback was that we were taken to some expensive tourist gift place. But we just used the stop as a restroom stop. At least the restrooms were sparkling clean. Then we all got back on the bus,early, having bought nothing.I think the tour organizer got the message. It was a great outing. I was on a small bus, with very few people...all independent travelers... and met some incredibly interesting people and we had a ball. It was a 12-hour day tour.Other than that, I've been vacationing in Bangkok for years...and before the sky train existed and have always just done inner Bangkok on my own. It's totally unnecessary to buy a tour for inner Bangkok. Happy Travels!