Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What are the main attractions in Chiang Mai?

Old Jun 16th, 2018, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

I'm organizing my trip to Thailand and I'm considering to visit Chiang Mai, but what are the best attractions over there? Why should I visit it? I will appreciate all of your answers, thanks!
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 06:37 PM

We don't know your interests and there are plenty of Youtube videos to watch to decide what your interests are.

Happy Travels!
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 01:04 AM

Why are you even considering Chiang Mai if you don’t know what there is to see there? Read a guide book, use google and then if there is something that interests you come back with some specific questions about what YOU would like to do and people here can then can help. There are some very experienced travellers here who will be happy to share their opinions, but, as far as I am aware, none are mind readers ( or indeed travel agents)
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 06:35 AM

Within one hour of city we can find 15 well-kept golf courses which welcome all players for a very reasonable fee. The Thai and western food round here is also tasty and well priced. Great bicycling area offering many quiet country roads. Generally the weather is good, sometimes hotter than i prefer but adjustment is good for the soul and i never get cold toes here. The tourist high season, 1 Nov-1March, is somewhat less good for me as many tourists flood the place, however the weather then is very agreeable.
Night life marginal, some of the more naughty venues under police watch and prostitution has gone under the table. The Thai military govt may dictate a rule at any time which undermines all the above.
Enjoy your visit, bring good walking shoes as the city center is a good walk-about for 3 days: a 100 different golden topped temples.
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 09:08 AM

I agree with crellston, you need to do some research on Chiang Mai. A guidebook is best, IMO. Internet videos and such are not worth much in determining whether you would like a place.

Personally, I'm not fond of CM. People often go, expecting a small town, but it was not a small town even when I first visited in the mid 1980s. And now, it's just urban sprawl. There is no public transportation.. You 'll need to take tuk-tuks to songthaews (pick-up truck with benches in the back) or taxis. The area inside the old city wall still has some charm and there are a number of wats. The one place people cite as a reason to visit CM is Doi Suthep, the Buddhist monastery atop a "mountain" just outside of town. It is lovely in the morning when not mobbed by tourists.

Many people go there to shop. Many years ago, one could find crafts in CM that you couldn't find in Bangkok, but that hasn't been true for decades. And prices are now higher in CM than in Bangkok.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kathie View Post
I agree with crellston, you need to do some research on Chiang Mai. A guidebook is best, IMO. Internet videos and such are not worth much in determining whether you would like a place.

Personally, I'm not fond of CM. People often go, expecting a small town, but it was not a small town even when I first visited in the mid 1980s. And now, it's just urban sprawl. There is no public transportation.. You 'll need to take tuk-tuks to songthaews (pick-up truck with benches in the back) or taxis. The area inside the old city wall still has some charm and there are a number of wats. The one place people cite as a reason to visit CM is Doi Suthep, the Buddhist monastery atop a "mountain" just outside of town. It is lovely in the morning when not mobbed by tourists.

Many people go there to shop. Many years ago, one could find crafts in CM that you couldn't find in Bangkok, but that hasn't been true for decades. And prices are now higher in CM than in Bangkok.
Thanks a lot for your reply, and yes, I will start searching on my own, I just wanted to gather some recommendations on what to see, some special and cool things to do and the general sentiment towards Chiang Mai. It sounds like a place I will enjoy, because sometimes I want to stay away from the busy city.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 11:28 AM

sometimes I want to stay away from the busy city
Then why are you going to Chiang Mai?
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 03:24 PM

Cafe culture (some very good coffee), an eclectic mixture of wats, good ceramics shopping, ladyboy cabaret, Khao soi (delicious!} nature reserves, wildlife and coffee plantations in the surrounding hills.
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 04:34 PM

Population: Bangkok 5+million, Chiang Mai 200,000. And only a few airplane minutes, or a few driving hours, away from CM is the very slow and quiet ethnic community of Mae Hong Son, with various trekking opportunities, etc.
Kathie has always denigrated CM, but i do wonder what she finds so attractive in Bangkok. Some folks really like UBER, a western company, but frankly while i'm in Thailand i use the tuk-tuk, a local transport option.

Every place in SE Asia is under tourism pressure of lodging, rubbish, transport and cultural values so someone looking for 'authentic' will need to search the very remote spots, those with poor transport, poor lodging, no air/con, etc.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 06:05 AM

CM has good food and nice countryside. The city area is like a Bangkok suburb - bad footpaths and dirty like much of Bangkok.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie View Post

Songthaews are public transport. They also have buses.

Prices in CM are much the same as Bangkok. Depends where you go and what you buy. In terms of hotels CM works out cheaper.

Neither city is attractive. Both are concrete messy jungles inner city.

Bangkok has much better nightlife if that matters.
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 08:51 AM

We liked Chiang Mai, and appreciated the old town, the night markets and the beautiful temples.
We mostly took Songthaews and the occasional taxi and tuk-tuk.
These are the highlights of our trip to Chiang Mai (from a personal perspective) but as has been noted, we don't have any idea of what your personal interests or travel style may be.

It's also a great jumping off point to explore the mountain regions of Northern Thailand, and you might enjoy visiting a hill tribe village, but please make sure you understand the ethics of this before booking, which I discuss briefly in that linked post. We booked ours through a local company who took us to a village keen to participate in non-exploitative tourism and it was a really wonderful experience all round.
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 05:07 AM

In Chiang Mai it is easy to find shared tour that can take you to other popular tourist places out of the city area. If your hotel does not have a tour desk there are many nearby travel agencies with all sorts of shared tours you can sign up for. Unless you choose a hotel in some remote area of Chiang Mai there should be a travel agency providing tours to walk to nearby.

Good luck.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 06:58 PM

We loved the old town in CM, Wat Pha Lat, Doi Suthep and Doi Inthanon NP. We visited CM for its culture, nature and birds. You should read about the area and see if anything that it has to offer interests you.