Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   What are some destinations for Aug trip ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/what-are-some-destinations-for-aug-trip-962496/)

shubha_r Jan 12th, 2013 10:04 AM

What are some destinations for Aug trip ?

Hi Fodorites,
Another year and another trip to plan :) how fun :)

We are planning a summer vacation with my 2 kids ages 11 & 7.5 yr old to India to visit family. We are flying to Bangalore from New Jersey. We are planning to take out a week to go visit some place as a side vacation while we are there.

Most of northern India is hot during that time, so plan to be there around early August and hoping that most of summer is gone.

I am looking into few options:

1. Rajasthan, not Agra, since we already did this. May be Udaipur and Jodhpur?

2. Kerala: Kumarakom and Munnar ? I am just afraid of the rains here, but since it is Aug, we may just have some residual rains.

3. Maldives: but we do lot of beaches here, so not my first preference.

I am not new to heat in India, but just want to make sure kids are alright,

Any comments ? Or any other choices ? Even if it is outside of India it's ok.

I was thinking about Thailand or Singapore,, but I believe it's too hot and wet at some places ?

Hoping to hear a few suggestions,

Kush

Femi Jan 12th, 2013 04:37 PM

What are your requirements of the location? Have you considered Sri Lanka?

Jaya Jan 12th, 2013 05:28 PM

How about the hill stations?

shubha_r Jan 12th, 2013 07:50 PM

Femi , where in Srilanka ? No, I haven't thought about it since beach vacation was not on our mind :)

Jaya, which hill station are you referring to ?

Thanks
Kush

Kathie Jan 12th, 2013 08:00 PM

Sri Lanka has lots to do/see, not just beaches. We spent most of our time in the cultural triangle, but also loved the tea country, which has warm days and cool nights. There are a good number of trip reports on Sri Lanka here. Photos might help: www.marlandc.com

shubha_r Jan 13th, 2013 07:10 AM

Thanks Kathie, do you think 5-6 days are enough to SriLanka ? And is the weather cooperative during early Aug ?

We were also considering ChiangMai elephant reserve, but I was told it is too wet during that time.

I saw that you have responded to a lot of similar questions, any help is highly appreciated.

Kush

shubha_r Jan 15th, 2013 05:30 AM

Topping the thread

adventure123 Jan 27th, 2013 10:17 PM

Take the Road to Ladakh, It is very Beautiful...

rogerbinny Jan 29th, 2013 01:24 AM

Aleppey Backwater is the best choice for you. There is not much rain on Aug. It is the better option for you and your kids. You can also look Kumarakam

Another choice is Tamilnadu

Regards,
Roger

jatin_mgh Feb 13th, 2013 03:28 AM

In your first option Udaipur is a better optionthan Jodhpur. Jodhpur is amazing toom, If uf you need to make a choice then go got for Udaipur.

In second; Kumarakom is like backwater tourism & Munnar is a hill station. Both are amazing. You should like backwater or hill station.

Regards
Jatin
Myguesthouse

morekat Feb 18th, 2013 12:36 AM

there are lot of places in india - agra, jaipur, delhi, kashmir leh, shimla , dalhousie and a lots of more, Search travel guide india on net and find solution to their Quesries . just make mind to go out. you dont need to think about places as india is rich in tourist places where ever you will go, you will think why i did not come there before.

indhu81 Feb 18th, 2013 02:13 AM

Hi.. These are some of the place you can visit:

1.Goa is one of the most visited touristed destinations in India and is know for its beaches.
2.Rajasthan is one of the best places to be immediately after the summer months.
3.Shirdi is popular year around and is more so during the monsoon months when several other places in western India are wet.
4.Ooty and Kodaikanal are extremely popular hill stations in the southern state of Tamilnadu.
5.Tirupati,One of the top pilgrimage destinations in India.
6.Mysore,‘The City of Palaces' and an erstwhile capital of the Wodeyar Dynasty,is the second largest city of Karnataka, and also its cultural capital.
7.Munnar,"Switzerland of India" for its natural surroundings and old world architecture, Munnar is one of the best hill stations located in the southern state of Kerala.

Thanks&regards,
Indhu M,
TicketGoose.com

indhu81 Feb 18th, 2013 02:14 AM

Hi.. These are some of the place you can visit:

1.Goa is one of the most visited touristed destinations in India and is know for its beaches.
2.Rajasthan is one of the best places to be immediately after the summer months.
3.Shirdi is popular year around and is more so during the monsoon months when several other places in western India are wet.
4.Ooty and Kodaikanal are extremely popular hill stations in the southern state of Tamilnadu.
5.Tirupati,One of the top pilgrimage destinations in India.
6.Mysore,‘The City of Palaces' and an erstwhile capital of the Wodeyar Dynasty,is the second largest city of Karnataka, and also its cultural capital.
7.Munnar,"Switzerland of India" for its natural surroundings and old world architecture, Munnar is one of the best hill stations located in the southern state of Kerala.

Thanks&regards,
Indhu M,
TicketGoose.com

CaliNurse Feb 18th, 2013 12:10 PM

Kush, what about Himachal Pradesh? We were there in June and it was cool in the hills.

Of course, that is a lot farther from BLR than the places in the South, eg Kerala.

Hill stations closer to BLR would be in the Nilgiri Mts. Coonoor or Ooty. Not sre what weather is liek t hen in August. You and the kids would love the mountain railway.

CaliNurse Feb 18th, 2013 12:12 PM

p.s. unlike Indhu , i have never heard Munnar referred to as the "Switzerland of India." There are no huge mt peaks, as there are up north, so i dont know why Munnar would be called that.