Westin or Hyatt in Kyoto????'s

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westin or Hyatt in Kyoto????'s

Well we are thinking of one of these two hotels as an alternate to the Granvia next April 2008.

Has anyone stayed at either the Westin or the Hyatt?

Anything good or bad to say about these two hotels?

Any info is appreciated.

Aloha!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 04:23 AM

Hi Hawaiiantraveler:

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency on Mar 31 and Apr 1 of this year.

<b>First the bad:</b> it is very close to a hospital, and we were kept awake many times due to the constant screaming sirens. However, we live in a very rural area, and are unaccustomed to such sounds, so we may have been &quot;overly sensitive&quot;. The other negative about that property was their breakfast capacity. They offer 2 breakfasts, one western and one asian. Most people choose the western, and the restaurant could not handle the # of people trying to get breakfast - there were waiting lines of 30 minutes-plus both mornings we were there to get breakfast. For people on a schedule, that can be a problem.

<b>Now the good:</b> The rooms are very comfortable, and the staff is very accomodating and kind. The hotel is very near to Sanjusangendo Temple (famous for its 1001 carved images of Kannon, and very beautiful), and there is a bus stop right outside the hotel. We watched people squeezing and pushing themselves into the bus while eating dinner one night - amazing!

Hope this helps!

<font color="green">Cyn</font>
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

cyn,

That's just the kind of first hand information I was looking for, thanks!

Was the line for the Japanese breakfast also a thirty minute wait?

Is it's(Hyatt)location too isolated?

I also wanted to visit Sanjusangendo Temple as we missed it last time so I thought the location would be perfect for that.

We can get a few free nights there or at the Westin so I was trying to weight the pros and cons of both places. Thanks for your perspective.

Aloha!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Planning a trip for Spring 2008 already?
Are you worried about room availability because of th sakura season?
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Barkinpark,

I know its a little early but we just got back from our 2007 trip in April so early planning helps keep me going till the next adventure.

We actually already have our hotel reservations for our stay during the golden week period next year.

The ryokans we want won't start taking reservations until 4 to 6 months from the dates we want so we have a lot of time to research.

We will be gone over a month and cover from Sakurajima in the south to Noboribetsu in Hokkaido so I have a lot of planning yet to do and it will keep me busy until we leave.

Aloha!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Oh and to answer your question, no I am not worried about room availability at this early stage of the game. Every thing's still open!

Aloha!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:32 PM

HT:
I believe the Asian breakfast was <b>not</b> as full, but don't know for sure. The host/ess would suggest going downstairs to the other dining room, but we never went down to check it out.

As far as location, I don't know the answer to that either - it didn't feel like we had to travel any great distances (except to a harley shop for a t-shirt ), but that could be because everything there was new and exciting to us, so the driving was fun. We had a private car &amp; driver, and a guide who was <u>outstanding</u> - it was always a pleasure to be in her company. Unfortunately, she just emailed us that she may be moving this fall, so she probably won't be available when you are there.

Not much help this time - sorry!

<font color="green">Cyn</font>
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 01:19 PM
emd

hawaii, free room at the Westin is a good thing. You know I stayed there but hopefully someone with more recent experience will reply. IMO, the club level is worth the extra points for the free breakfast (both japanese and western items) and drinks and appetizers in the evening. And on club level is a little &quot;library&quot; w/two computer terminals for checking in w/fodors, etc....

And the Westin has that great indoor pool and hot tub, and wonderful gardens on the grounds, and a little hiking trail. It's all good. Oh, and the lovely Japanese rooms in the garden area...

As you know, Westin is right btwn. Higashiyama and the path of philosophy, and next door to Keage subway stop. Quiet and beautiful location, but it is somewhat remote at night for walking. But taxis are readily avaialable. We just found that we didn't go back out after getting in at the end of the day, we tended not to make the effort, as opposed to when we stayed at Okura (or for you, the Granvia) and had the central city area right at our doorstep.

I think Hyatt is even more remote location, right? I thought it was quiet, but now this ambulance/hospital post...yikes. I could not handle that, I'm a light sleeper.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

emd,

Thanks for answering. I had already dug up your old report and had reread it as I remembered you and your dd had stayed there.

Do you remember if the hot tub was a hot spring bath or just a regular hot tub?

Did they let you choose the Japanese rooms for the free nights or just the American?

I was also surprised and a little bummed to hear the report of the ambulance noises at the Hyatt but better to here about them hear than at the hotel

That's why I love Fodor's!!

Aloha!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 10:26 PM

The Westin is really nice. I agree that the club level is worth it. The hotel has a free shuttle to/from JR Kyoto station and it stops near a subway station enroute.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM

We're SPG elite level members, but chose to stay at the Hyatt last summer after reading uneven reviews of the Westin, especially in terms of rooms. We were not at all dissapointed. As has been mentioned before, the Hyatt is located right next to Sanjusanjen-do Temple, and across the street from the Kyoto Museum.

We never took a taxi anywhere, and chose to utilize the efficient bus system instead. It really gave us a much better feel for the city, having to navigate...took the bus everywhere, from the Golden Pavilion to the train station to Path of Philosophy, etc...and at night to dinner around town.

Really liked the hotel - we never ate there, so can't comment on the food. The hotel was still somewhat new last year, so staff still training. Room was extremely comfortable and peaceful, and we really liked the Japanese style bath with large, walk-in shower.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 11:34 AM
emd

hawaii, the Westin hot tub was not a hot spring, it was a regular hot tub w/jets, really nice strong jets. It was great after a full day of walking. Nice routine to hit the hot tub and pool and then go up to the club level for appetizers and a drink. And there is also a nice outdoor deck to sit on outside at night and watch the stars- the entrance to that is on 9th fl. I think, whereas club is on 10th fl.

I do think you can get the japanese style rm. w/points, but I wasn't interested in that. Call starwood preferred guest and ask...

The only thing I have heard that is uneven re the rooms at Westin is that there are some rooms that weren't renovated (I think they are in a back part of the hotel perhaps? And maybe even thsoe have been renovated by now, tow yrs later). I would inquire to be sure you rm. on points is in the main part that has been renovated. Our rm. was great.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 03:27 PM

My understanding is that there aren't any hot springs in Kyoto. You can find a sento with hot water but it is not geothermally heated and not naturally bearing the &quot;beneficial&quot; minerals.

There is an onsen in the mountains above/near Kobe called Arima Onsen.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your replies.

Both hotels have their advantages and disadvantages.....I will book both hotels for now and hem and haw like KimJapan and wait till I get closer to decide

Aloha!