Westin Miyako Kyoto

Jan 6th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Westin Miyako Kyoto

Have anyone stayed or can tell me more about the Kasuien Japanese Guestrooms in the Westin Miyako Kyoto? Is it worth the 40,000 Yen per night?
Jan 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM
mjs

We stayed in these rooms last year but it cost me about 25% less. Worked alright for us as we could fit four in these rooms. It was cramped for four but managable for a four days. If you are a couple I would try the western rooms in the Westin or another hotel. Depending on when you are going to Kyoto I would imagine you could find good rooms in Kyoto for more like 25,000 to 30,000
/night.
Jan 6th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you MJS. I do have four people in my party. And I will stay only two days. I can choose two western rooms at a rate of 13000yen each/night, but I saw review that these "cheap" rooms are no good (not renovated). So I thought may be trying out the Japanese style room to have a "Japanese experience". Are these japanese room relatively nice and worth the "Japanese experience". Any comments/suggestions are welcome? Thanks
Jan 7th, 2005, 06:20 AM
emd

este9: There are several reviews of the westin miyako on tripadvisor.com and one is a person who stayed in the Japanese rooms, so check that out.

(aside to mjs: I switched the hotel for the Tokyo portion of our trip from Yoko. Sheraton to the Westin at Ebisu. I am SO happy w/this decision. I know it will make a very positive impact on our trip. Thank you very much for your help and input on that.)
Jan 7th, 2005, 09:40 PM
mjs

It is hard for me to comment on 40,000 yen/night value for the Japanese ryokan room at the Westin in Kyoto as I believe we paid about 30,000/night last April. I would check the Starwood website and some of the Asia hotel services to see if you can get the rooms for less. One option which might work is to get the Starwood AMX card to get points if these hotels will accept the 2000 pt 50% off rack rate voucher during your time of travel.
I would guess that the 13,000 yen rooms you are talking about are in a "business" hotel which tend to be abit spartan although usually servicable. I would prefer the Miyako at 30,000 for four vs 26,000 in a business class hotel but at 40,000...... I should add that the Miyako Japanese room was tight for two adults and two teenagers. If you are 4
6 foot adults it will be very cramped. Still, if you are not going to spend any time in a ryokan setting while you are in Japan it will give you a good taste about how the Japanese live in small quarters.
The Miyako is a nice hotel but not in the same league as the Ebisu hotel. The rooms at Ebisu are average American size (not NYC ) so we fit ok but if you are four large size adults it too might be cramped for you. Location of the Ebisu is much better for Tokyo touring than Yokohama. I am not sure there is much to see in Yokohama other than the ramen museum and china town. Do have fun and I will be happy to answer any other questions.