Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

We're *finally* going to Thailand and Vietnam!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a few months back because my UAL ff miles were about to expire. But the flight schedules offered were pretty bad so we thought this trip just wasn't in the cards for us.

But by accident, I discovered that making a reservation in which they "hold" miles-- and then you cancel -- "activates" your miles account for another year! So I put off the planning. And then on a whim, I called and was offered a fantastic route so now, we're headed to Hanoi and Bangkok in October!!!

My husband & I are fairly well traveled but we're not too familiar with SEA. Bangkok has been on our list for quite a while but for whatever reason, it's alluded us until now!

I've been avidly reading some of the newer trip reports but I need advice on a few points.

We'll have 14 full days not including travel days. We've opted to go to Hanoi first because it involves the shortest layover.

We've split the time 50/50 between the 2 cities.

In Hanoi, we would like to do a 2night cruise in Halong Bay.
<b>So, would that leave us enough time to add another destination? Or are we better off exploring Hanoi for 4 days?</b>

From Bangkok, we'd like to do a side trip to a beach.
<b>But is October too wet for Phuket or Koh Samui? If so, what other side trip would you recommend?</b>
(It does not have to be a beach and our interests are pretty broad/varied.)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 11:07 AM

October can be a tricky month for weather at Thai beaches. It is the month when the rainy season switches sides from the Andaman Sea to the Gulf of Thailand. Of course, I could easily spend seven days in BKK and I've been there lots of times. It's endlessly fascinating if you're a city person.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Do explore Hanoi for 4 days rather than choosing another destination. Many peopole feel that Hanoi is the most interesting of the VN cities. You'll find plenty to keep you busy and interested.

If it were me (and it isn't) I'd spend the whole week in Bangkok. If you add up all the time I've spent in Bangkok over the years it would be months aand months, and I still have plenty of things to do/see on my list. My first trip to Thailand was 9 days in Bangkok. I was bitten by the Bangkok bug and it's my favorite city in the world. As Gpanda says, October is not a great time for beach in Thailand, all of the areas are pretty rainy.

In this part of the world, fewer destinations means more experience of the place. You have a new culture to learn about in each place and you want some time to experience it. The weather is hot and you'll want to slow down for that.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 11:39 AM

I agree. Unless you absolutely have to do a beach, you are better off spending your time in Bangkok.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I think that'll give us a good reason to go to Thailand again in the near future (to visit the beaches).

Is the monsoon season just constant daily rain? Or is it more of short bursts? Are there tours/activities that you would definitely NOT recommend because of weather?
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Generally, it rains on and off. Take an umbrella to ward off both the sun and the rain. Mostly you can do whatever you'd do when it isn't raining, though you might not want to do as much walking when it's pouring.

Tell us what kinds of things you are interested in doing in Bangkok and we can offer some specific suggestions.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 01:40 PM

I think 2 nights is too long for a cruise on Halong Bay - there's just not that much to do. Just do one night. Both Hanoi and Bangkok deserve the remainder of your time. Last April we spent 5 full days in Hanoi (not including Halong Bay). On our 2nd trip to Bangkok we spent 8 days there.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 07:53 PM

i could easily spend 7 days in and around each of those cities....you can take a couple of day trips outside the city if you so desire...

can we help you with hotels, especially in bkk?? what are your price points? what do you like?

i have a restaurant listing i share with fodorites...if interested as at: [email protected] its on bkk only..

a nice and easy beach location from bkk for a couple of days is hua hin....the hyatt and sheratons there are fantastic...hyatt being the closer to town..
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 06:42 AM

But - Hua Hin is rainy just like the other beach destinations in Thailand in October.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 06:47 AM

true kathie, but it has less rain than other beachside places according to statistics reported earlier here...

i have had very results with visiting thailand in the 2nd 1/2 of october....little or no rain
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful input!

We're interested in the usual: major sights, strolling, FOOD, and just taking it all in.

When we travel, we usually try to have some ideas of things we want to see or do but we're not too set on it...so if something else presents itself, we're pretty flexible to change.

As for hotel, yes, suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

A good friend has recommended several including Sheraton, Marriott, Peninsula. I have not talked to him about what the pros/cons would be.

Our price range is pretty flexible too. My only peeve with higher end hotels is that the "extras" all come at a premium. If I want to grab a snack via room service, hotel restaurant, evening cocktail, bottles of water, laundry service or whatever... the charges at higher end hotels tend to overcharge. But with that said, we're not ruling anything out yet.

If there's a good hotel that offers a club level at a decent price, that's probably more up our alley. But my understanding is that the BKK Peninsula is **way** worth it?
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 05:32 PM

Ah, you like "extras" - so do I. I always stay at the Royal Orchid Sheraton on the river in the Towers. Towers rooms include breakfast and cocktails and canapes and dessert in the Club every evening as well as snacks and non-alcoholic drinks all day. They will have some great special rates in October as it's not a popular time to visit. Do you have Starwood points? If so, there are some ways to get great rates turning in just a few Starwood points. The Royal Orchid is Bob's least favorite hotel along the river. His fave is the Marriott, which is my least favorite, so we're even.

If you are still thinking about beach time, here is the rainfall data from www.weatherbase.com for October:
Hua Hin: 10.5 inches
Phuket: 12 inches
Koh Samui (using Surat Thai as a proxy) 10.2 inches.

You might get fine weather, you might not. If rain doesn't bother you and you really want a beach, go ahead. Do note that the sea will be rough and swimming the in the sea and snorkeling and such will not be advisable/fun/possible, depending on the weather.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 11:42 PM

Dear Junkgalore,

Royal Orchid Sheraton has Tower rooms currently available. If you would like to Stay at the Royal Orchid Sheraton the unrestricted rate is currently 6,950 baht per room (excluding 10% service charge and 7% tax). The inclusive cost of service charge and tax is 8,181 baht. Other room types packages are available, however I would need further information on when you would be coming to Bangkok. The Towers floors are located on from the 25th to 28th floor.

If you are looking for a beach near Bangkok (approx. 3 - 4 hours drive depending on traffic), may I suggest Hua Hin, Pattaya or an island off Pattaya called Koh Larn.

The hotel is currently undergoing renovation in a number of areas to improve the services and facilities of the hotel. Scheduled to complete on the 31st October 2009, we will embark on the final phase of our extensive refurbishment program which will include the following:

* Upgrade the Riverside Terrace, outside etc…on the river restaurant located on the ground floor.
* Upgrade the pool and terrace area located on the 1st floor.
* Upgrade guest rooms and Corridors from the 5th – 10th floor.

As we work hard to improve the hotel for our guests to relax and connect with friends, family and colleagues, we want to assure you that we will endeavor to manage the project as efficiently as possible and will work with the contractors to minimize the disruption to our guests. We apologize that there will be noisy work each day between 9am – 6pm. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,
Paul Tsuji
Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel and Towers
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for replying.

We have decided to skip the beaches this time.
Looking at hotels, we are torn between a few. But I imagine we can make those decisions anytime. Am I correct in assuming that like the rest of the world, tourism is slow in BKK still?

rhk- you've got mail! I would love your restaurant list. My husband makes fun of me because I remember trips by the food we had

Kathy, yes, the older I get, the more I rely on those little "extras." We really enjoy club level stays so I have looked at the Sheraton. Would you mind emailing me privately? My email is junkgalore at ca.rr.com

Mr Tsuji, Thank you for your input. I did see on your website regarding the construction.

Off to more research!
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 06:00 AM

Hi,

I just wanted to give you a tips about our favourite hotel in BKK.
It´s called arun residence and is located right "on" the river.
On the opposit side of the river you have Wat Arun, and every (they have 6) room has a wiev of it.
Up the street max 5 min walk is Wat Pho with the Thai massage school. 360 Baht for 1 hour. (you have to go)
And 5 more minutes walk up the street is Gran palace with the emerald Buddah.
The hotel is located at Ratanakoshin not sure about that spelling.... and all the sights there are in walking distance.
You also have a ferry stop just a few minutes away from the hotel that takes you to the Skytrain station in no time.

All the rooms are different and the restaurant attached to the hotel is great.
Once you stayed there you don´t wanna stay anywhere else.
I tried a few weeks ago but it ended with me calling and asking at Arun if they could fix me a room for the next night ;-)

Well check it out anyway, it is not very expensiv for the location.... www.arunresidence.com

And for the beaches. Why don´t you go down to Koh Samet for a day or two?
It´s close to Bangkok I think a few hours and kind of weather secure all year around......
Nice beaches aswell especially to the south of the Island.

Have a great trip....
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 06:11 AM

Tourism in Bangkok is, indeed, down. There are some great deals to be had. Since your trip is scheduled for October, you should not have any problems finding just the right spot. If you were heading over during peak season, in December, January, February, then the deals would be a bit harder to find. The better island resorts get booked up a year ahead for the Christmas/New Years holidays. I know that from personal experience (but that was pre-tsunami and pre downturn in the world economy. But I assume there are still folks from Europe and other Asian countries that are still traveling to Phuket for relaxation, pampering, and ringing in the new year.

Have fun on your trip. I'm headed over next Thursday to Bangkok for about 2 weeks (with a couple of days on Samui right in the middle).
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 07:24 PM

penn does not have a club section.....it is a personal fav of ours however...

look at krungthrup (sp) wing at shangri-la...

conrad, away from the river...

plaza anthenee

any of the lux hotels really....
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 07:25 PM

seems like the sheraton is always redoing floors...they do little to disguise the smells from varnish....that was my most disappointing thing about ROS...it drove us from the room and the staff downstairs really did not care...
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 07:30 PM

Bob, you were checking out...
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 07:33 PM

Junkgalore, I've emailed you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -