Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

WEDDING IN INDIA-what to know before I go, IF I go..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Rather Pampered

Oh-Oh! I might be going to India for a wedding and all I ever hear is to get ready and prepare yourself! So, what do I need to know? Bring water, stuff to eat, what else? Should I bring bug spray to put on me at night for sleeping lest there be bugs in the bed or what? What will I be able to find (besides curry) there? I assume there are no 'stores' as we know them here. Do they have whole milk there, for instance? Do they sell film? (crazy questions!). Do you think I will lose or gain weight in India. I know, it depends how much of the candy I bring with me I actually consume, right? I don't eat fish... but rice is okay. I like vegetables too... I hate bugs, though... and cockroaches! Do you think I'll die of fear of bugs when I go to bed or what? Should I bring my own pillow do you think to be more comfortable? I keep hearing how dirty it is in India, and you know how nice it is to have your OWN pillow when you travel! Okay, lay it on me!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 04:33 AM
Madhulika

I'm Indian, work for a travel company, and think I might be able to help out a bit. Which city are you going to be staying in? If it's Delhi, Mumbai, Calcutta, Chennai, Bangalore or Hyderabad, you needn't think you're heading for the back of beyond. Bottled water- very safe- is available everywhere, even in smaller towns, as is bread, cheese, bug spray and almost anything else you're likely to need. Western brands are not widely available, but large stores in Delhi, Mumbai etc do stock them. Curry is not the only thing you'll find- most large towns have international restaurants, and MacDonald's, Pizza Hut, Dominos', TGIF et al have outlets. <BR> <BR>And yes, we do have whole milk (and toned, and skimmed). And film. <BR> <BR>Cool it, things aren't so terrible. Yes, it's much less clean than lots of other places, but not one big rubbish heap. <BR> <BR>Would like to help out if you need any more help- don't want my country to be unnecessarily blacklisted, I guess!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Anju

Let's step back for a moment. If you go with this attitude, you are going to be miserable. <BR> <BR>Leaving our borders if often a challenge because yes, the East lacks many of the creature comforts that we have in the States. But as a Veteran India traveler (and being Indian-American myself), I can say that if you go with an open mind, you will be amazed. Accomodations, while not plush, are certainly clean and livable. There is no need to bring water with you across the ocean! Just exercise common sense. Drink bottled water (widely available) once you get there. Bring bug spray and use it in the evenings. Bring sun screen as you will be close or on the equator. <BR> <BR>OF COURSE there are stores. Duh. India has a huge economy. You will find every commercial product you need, and many of the same brands they sell here. You will find many different foods. Do you think a country of 1 billion people subsist on curry and rice alone? You will find Chinese food (neighbors to the north, after all). You will find pizza. Heck you'll even find cornflakes. <BR> <BR>Bottom line: change your attitude, chill out, and you will have a great time. India will have everything you need and give you the experience of a lifetime if you are open to it. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 08:29 PM
Tarun

Would suggest you check out a website called journeymart.com. Check on the `Destination Explorer' page, where you'll find tonnes of unbiased information on India. Have a look- you'll discover that India really isn't a decrepit little land on the other side of the moon!

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 10:25 PM
deepa

Considering your attitude and your name, I think you should just stay home. Travel is obviously not for you, not to India, not anywhere, since you just do not have the important things that any hoilday needs -an open mind and a smile.