Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Weather in Japan...November (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/weather-in-japan-november-645848/)

Mycuppajava Sep 11th, 2006 01:14 PM

Weather in Japan...November

Hi,
Anyone been to Japan...Southern (Fukuoka Perfecture) during November? Some have said it was warm and sunny, someone else has said to take a wool coat. Please give me any experiences that you might have had. Thanks much.

Kathie Sep 11th, 2006 01:30 PM

take a look at www.weatherbase.com

mrwunrfl Sep 11th, 2006 06:11 PM

My apologies. On your other thread I did say "jacket was not necessary", yet I do have a photo of me in Fukuoka, about to enter the sumo arena, wearing a jacket. Wool with leather sleeves. That was during the day. But I didn't have to bundle up and it was sunny. You will get to use your pea coat and you should be prepared for freezing temps. It was 50s & 60s IIRC (and sometimes I don't RC).

Mycuppajava Sep 12th, 2006 05:30 AM

Thanks!
Someone did direct me to the site of weatherbase and it is suppose to be 55 average. That is cold here in Tennessee, I guess it is the same cold as in Japan. Would thermals be a good idea...so not to have to wear so many layers? Or...would layers be more sufficient? I do appreciate your thoughts on this. I have limited space and want as many changes as possible. :)

angethereader Sep 12th, 2006 06:51 AM

Do you have a lot of humidity in TN?
It makes it feel more damp when it's cold, and Japan is very humid.

Mycuppajava Sep 13th, 2006 05:20 AM

We have humidity, but it is usually in the summer. I just bet that 55 degrees in Japan is actually colder than here in Tennessee, ya think?

kappa Sep 13th, 2006 07:00 AM

> We have humidity, but it is usually in the summer...

Like in Tennessee, or even more, typical Japanese climate generally is Summer hot/humid and Winter cold/DRY. That applies to Fukuoka too but a bit less I suppose since the area is sort of surrounded by sea.

angethereader Sep 13th, 2006 08:43 AM

Living on one of the great lakes I can tell you we're much more damp in winter (MUCH less humid than summer) than other Midwestern areas that are not near a large body of water. Much of the time it's really cold and damp. It makes it much more bone chilling.

andrewmlin Sep 13th, 2006 11:57 AM

Last fall I was in the central Honshu area of Japan, venturing to Mt Fuji. I definitely needed a warm coat at times (sweater and windbreaker at least), especially during the night.

mrwunrfl Sep 13th, 2006 05:10 PM

Problem with thermals is that you can't take them off if you are too warm. By layers, I mean a jacket, sweater or sweater vest, long sleeve shirt, t-shirt, scarf. Ski cap. Lots of options to fine-tune your body temp.

angethereader Sep 14th, 2006 04:44 AM

mrwnrfl is right (as usual), layering is the way to go.

Mycuppajava Sep 14th, 2006 06:27 AM

Thanks. Making a list now to take scarves, gloves, long sleeves...don't think there will be a need for short, do you think? Man, one piece of luggage is short. Guess I could take long sleeves and if need be, can always roll them up. Since Fukuoka has three sides of water, guess it will be cold and damp, ya think?

mrwunrfl Sep 14th, 2006 11:13 AM

No, I wouldn't think that. Gloves would not be absolutely necessary. Other thing about layers is that places are often overheated. So, I would wear a jacket and a scarf, but with a t-shirt or short-sleeve shirt underneath.