Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Waterfront Promenade in Hong Kong (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/waterfront-promenade-in-hong-kong-422971/)

Kathie Apr 16th, 2004 08:16 AM

Waterfront Promenade in Hong Kong

The waterfront promenade along the Kowloon waterfront looking across at Hong Kong is one of my favorite places in the city. I know that there was construction there earlier this year, but it was supposed to be finiished "in April." I'm headed to Hong Kong on 4/23 for a week, Does anyone know if the promenade has re-opened?

Kathie Apr 18th, 2004 08:44 AM

Anyone know? If not, I'll post an update upon my return.

Peteralan Apr 18th, 2004 02:52 PM

Hi Kathie...we were there in September last and they were in the midst of construction ( including a new station I think ). Not sure if it is complete yet but they seem to be fast and efficient so would not be surprised. However there was no problem enjoying
thr view . We always treat ourselves to one drink in the foyer of the Intercontinental Hotel (previously the Regent)where the view at night is breathtaking. We have also sat in there by day which is lovely too. Of course you can simply walk along the waterfront and get the same view. Hope you enjoy!

Kathie Apr 18th, 2004 03:51 PM

Thanks for the input, Peter. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I love evening walks along the promenade to see the lights of Hong Kong.

twotravel Apr 18th, 2004 09:44 PM

Hi Kathie, we were there in February (19th) and the construction was still on going. We stayed at the New World Renaissance and the construction extended (at that time) if I remember correctly, past TST East, (we didn't walk - view from taxi). The only part of the promenade we accessed was from the star ferry to the Intercontinental. I am sure that the construction will be on-going for some time I believe it's for a new MTR station, perhaps Peter N-H will have more details?

rkkwan Apr 18th, 2004 10:28 PM

I don't know if the promenade has been reopened or not, but I can explain what they are doing.

The project is to extend the KCR-East trains from the current Hung Hom terminal down to Tsim Sha Tsui, with a station somewhere between the Shangri-La and the New World Renaissance. The rail will then go back north along Canton Road, and up West Kowloon to connect to the just-opened KCR-West trains at Nam Cheong. [There are further plans of another route through Eastern Kowloon to connect to the Ma On Shan route under construction, plus another cross-harbor route, but those will be finished much later.] Original plan also includes another station near the Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel, but that's been scrapped.

What's ironic is that they tore up the tracks and demolished the Tsim Sha Tsui train terminus for KCR trains less than 30 years ago. The clock tower next to the Cultural Center was what's left of that historical train terminal. Now, they're spending all this money basically to replace the exact same route, though underground.

Kathie Apr 19th, 2004 07:10 AM

Thanks for the additional detail on what they are doing with the construction. I hope the promendae will be open when we get there. I will report back when I return.