Water Festival - Bangkok

Search

Water Festival - Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Festival - Bangkok

We will be in Bangkok during the Water Festival, April 13-15, and I'm wondering what to expect. I'm 50-ish, obviously an American tourist. Will people be throwing water on me? Or on my 25-year-old daughter? Are there certain parts of the city or certain times of the day that this is more likely to happen? Can I expect to be sprayed with water as I walk down the street minding my own business? Does this go on for three full days?!? If the weather is as hot and humid as I think it will be, then the water will probably feel good, but I would like to be fully prepared! And yes, I do understand that this is a fun-filled celebration of the New Year!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

I see my question moving farther and farther down the list! Can anyone help me out?
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Yes OJudy you will be receiving some water sprays but at that time of year you will be glad of it and anyway you will quickly dry off!It mostly appears to be done by children/young people and mostly using a sort of water pistol.The Thais love the festival especially getting the foreigners! There is no malice intended , just good fun so relax and enjoy it.You can't really plan for it as it can happen anywhere at any time..just be prepared .The only time we didn't want it to occur was one night when we were dressed to go to a nice restaurant.When we explained to the kids we didn't want to get wet this time they just laughed, gave us beaming smiles and moved off to find a more likely victim! Have a great time!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Songkran is a good time to be in Bangkok, as many people return home for the New year celebrations it is relatively easy to get around.

In Bangkok you shouldn’t have too much of a problem with water, unless you decide to visit Khao San Road where you can expect to be drenched.

The further North you go the wetter it becomes; here in Chiang Mai any tourist can expect to have a bucket of water emptied over them. Most of us retire behind our gates for the period and only venture out in cars with the doors firmly locked.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 04:01 AM

walk around in slippers and bring zip lock bags too place your money and camara..

it's fun for the fist day. by the 2nd and third day you feel like your in Beirut wondering when the water snipper will tag ya..

if ya go too Khaosan rd it's an insane party..

remember it's not just the water but the red dye stuff and baby powder they rub on your face.... the whole combonation has ruined lots of my cloths and shoes.. so walk around in cloths you can throw away later..

=============
yes.. I too buy provisions. fill my tub with water and go into lock down... untill the water fest finaly fineshes... the crazy thing is that in some provinces the festival lasts for 1 week...
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. We will come well prepared!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Don't know how true this is but my Thai friends tell me that this year has been particularly dry in Thailand and the Government is encouraging(?)Thais to save water and not celebrate in the usual way.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 02:25 AM

Very very dry but BKK got a soaking the other day I think, also some rain around the Gulf, they are using rain making at the moment, but water seems always available for Songran!