Warning: Con Artists in Jaipur

Mar 17th, 2000, 11:34 AM
Humble Traveller

Warning: Con Artists in Jaipur

I am taking the time to warn all travellers or prospective ones to be careful who you do business with - I was in Jaipur (Rajasthan), India in August 1999 and lost a lot of money to a con artist acting under the pretense of a jeweller. I was to receive a package of jewels, sent to me in my home country, to sell to his buyers; this was all to avoid the supposed heavy export tax. In order to do this, however, I had to pay a percentage of the jewels as an insurance cost. Foolishly, I went through with the deal and lost all my money, never receiving the package (I went to the post office with them!). Their scams will be elaborate, suited to your situation, and they have all the time in the world to set it up, acting as if they are friends just helping you out! So please, be careful. Don't do something stupid like I did!

Jul 7th, 2001, 08:10 PM
edwardseco

Well, you have joined a large club so don't feel too bad. The record is about 5000 Ls so if you came in under that consider it that way..

Jul 9th, 2001, 08:07 PM
ndub

Offered a similar scam in Thailand, I followed along out of curiosity, exchanging glances with my travel companion. At the post office, I had my friend stall the two cons, while I looked for police. When they arrived the two were immediately hand cuffed and taken away. On our last day on in Bangkok, we saw the two culprits walking towards the post office with two Americans. We blew their cover and were attacked physically. No one was hurt, but the someone could have been. Moral of the story I guess is that it is best just to fully ignore and not get involved in the situation at all.

Search this Thread