Notices

Visiting Hong Kong Disneyland

Sep 3rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Visiting Hong Kong Disneyland

Hello Fodorites!

I'll be traveling to Hong Kong in December with my wife and two children. We'll be in Hong Kong for four full days (3rd through the 6th). Disneyland is a must visit since neither of my children have been to the other Disney theme parks yet. Unfortunately, my budget is a little tighter than most. I'm looking for a decent (3+ star) hotel not too far from Disneyland, but anything within 30 minutes transit time would suffice. After visiting Disneyland the first two days, we would then be willing to move to another hotel closer to the more active parts of town for the last two days. Would that be in Kowloon? Any suggestions on a hotel near Disneyland, then advice on where to go from there would be most appreciated.
Sep 3rd, 2011, 08:31 PM

Disney can be reached by MTR (subway train) from most places in the city in about 45 minutes, so no need to find a hotel that's close by. In fact, unless you're staying at one of the two Disney hotels, there's no hotel that's too close to it. And being physically close to it means nothing as what matters is how long it takes to get there by MTR.

Also, most people find that the HK Disneyland is so small one can finish it all in half a day. You may want to spend one whole day there, but unless you're repeating each ride 2-3 times, you don't need 2 days.
Sep 3rd, 2011, 09:05 PM

I agree. Hong Kong Disneyland could be done in just half a day or I think 3/4 of the day. You can just go around it and then head to the other places during the late afternoon and look for hotels to stay in for the night. Then the next day, you could explore the other places.
Sep 3rd, 2011, 09:33 PM

Meaning, just stay at the same hotel for your whole stay.

How old are the kids, and are you planning to have just one room? Hotel rooms are tiny in HK, and many won't allow more than 3 people in a room, though of course you can probably sneak a small child in.

A friend of mine was asking me the same thing, and I found that one of more affordable 3/4* with larger rooms (meaning they actually have room for an extra bed for the child) is Royal Plaza in Mongkok. Asiahotels.com have them for about US$156/night for your dates. Not cheap, but you could do worse
Sep 4th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the valuable information. I'll take your advice and cut our visit to Disneyland down to one full day. We'll use the remaining days to see the sights, do some shopping, and pretty much just try to immerse ourselves in the culture. Also appreciate the information with regard to the MTR. As you stated, where we reside (location) is really not an issue since we can get to pretty much any destination within 45 minutes (as long as I can navigate the MTR without much difficulty.)
The kids are 8 and 12 years old. I was hoping to get a room with two queen beds, or even two single beds if we have to go that route to save a few $$.
Any suggestions on where our home base should be located? I assume centrally locating ourselves would be the best bet. Where would that be? Kowloon? I was in Hong Kong many years ago and I remember visiting Victoria Park where I did some shopping. Is Victoria Park still a good option for shopping? Any "must see" recommendations?

Thanks again to both of you!
Sep 4th, 2011, 07:40 AM

I would pick Kowloon. It is bustling with activity both day and night. Shopping is fantastic... both upscale (with lines forming outside of the big names... Chanel, LV, Gucci, etc) and cheap markets, and everything in between. All of it is within easy walking distance. I've never stayed on the HKG island side... from my perspective, it 'seems' to be more business oriented. Kowloon seems to be more for tourists and families. Just my opinion... I've been there 3 times.

I stay at Marco Polo Hong Kong Hotel, which does offer two queen beds, plus a nice sitting area... but probably a budget buster for you. Not sure. There are several Marco Polo hotels, right in a row, attached to a huge shopping mall. The others might be less expensive?? This is also right by the boatdock where you catch the ferry to Hong Kong city. The kids would like the ferry ride, I'm sure. And the cruise ships dock right outside your window, if you have a harborside room (which costs more, obviously).

I think your kids would like the ride by skyrail to Big Buddha. There are things to do once you get there, besides just seeing the Big Buddha. Quite the tourist place, I'd say. The skyride is awesome, and lasts nearly 30 minutes in each direction. There is an outlet mall where the subway ends and you catch the skyrail. It's the last subway stop, and the subway goes PAST Disney on its way to the skyrail.

Also, of course, the Peak. There is shopping in the area. The view is super!

Take a dbl decker bus around Hong Kong island to Stanley Market. The shopping is "OK" but the ride, upstairs, front seats if you can get them, is exciting.

Have a great time. Hong Kong is a really neat city.

Search this Thread