Travel between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning a retiral trip from Scotland to Australia in January 2012. We want a stopover in KL via Singapore (using Qantas as we will be flying within Australia). We intend flying from Singapore to KL but want to return overland to catch an onward flight to Melbourne.
There appears to be a choice between coach and train. Has anyone experienced this trip and can recommend the best option. I gather both options are not too expensive so we're more concerned with comfort and seeing the countryside.
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 01:07 PM

With large luggage I think a coach is easier to deal with as you slide it underneath and forget about it.

We took the train in second class and it was an experience. The scenery isn't really all that great, but we enjoyed it for the one time. I had hoped to take an air conditioned coach but they were hard to book online during the Christmas season so we just did the train.

The food car was very very basic with a few microwaveable noodles and hot chocolate. Most people bring their own feast.
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 02:32 PM

there are luxury a/c buses that ply that route... i bet the conceige at your hotel would help you with this in advance.
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 12:45 AM

We took the night train from Sing to KL. It was comfortable, but of course there was no scenery except the last 1/2 hour or so.

I've taken the bus from KL to GeorgetownPenang. It was a very nice trip. The roads in Malaysia are beautiful, the rest stops clean and the bus was very comfortable. They even served a lunch and the scenery was pretty good.
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 03:17 AM

We have done the trip by both train and bus. The bus was very comfortable with large seats and plenty of room. Snacks were served en route and there were seat back videos on demand with plenty of choice to pass the time. Views along the route were not that great.

The train (in first class) was fine too but the seats were less comfortable but that was offset by the ability to get up and walk around. Getting on an off the train at immigration at the border was a bit of a pain as we were not happy to leave our bags unattended in the carriage. Journey time was about 7 hours in total

The trai
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 02:31 PM

I flew from KL to Singapore last year. It was a very short flight and it only cost me 10$ on Air Asia!
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your comments.

mcbg1 - as my first post states,we're flying from Singapore to KL. We want to return by land to see some of the countryside.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 06:53 PM

Oops, sorry about that. I was considering taking the bus last year and some VIP buses looked like a really good option.