Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Visiting Hiroshima Peace Park en route to Miyajima - luggage?

Visiting Hiroshima Peace Park en route to Miyajima - luggage?

Jan 6th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Visiting Hiroshima Peace Park en route to Miyajima - luggage?

Hi all,
We will be visiting the Peace Park on our way to Miyajima from Tokyo. Is there anywhere within the Park where we could store our luggage while we visit? We will have two wheeled suitcases with us. I don't really want to leave it in a locker at the JR Hiroshima Station as we would have to back-track to get it before heading to the port.
All ideas gratefully received.
Cheers.
Jan 6th, 2010, 01:02 PM
kja

There are lockers at the Peace Memorial Museum, but I don't remember whether they would be large enough to hold a wheeled suitcase. And of course, you would have to get the suitcases to the museum in the first place. If they fit in the lockers at the JR Hiroshima Station, that might be your best bet.
Jan 7th, 2010, 09:16 AM
kja

BTW, another option is to leave your wheeled suitcases at the JR Hiroshima Station for the duration of your stay in Miyajima - just take a small overnight bag with you.
Jan 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM

Most people who travel in Japan, especially the Japanese, will use the takuhaibin services to move their luggage from town to town. Usually the only people with luggage on a train are the foreign tourists.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html

Aloha!
Jan 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM

Your other option would be to leave bags at Hiroshima station and then return to the station from the PP and take JR to Miyajimaguchi and the JR ferry to the island.
Jan 8th, 2010, 09:41 AM

There are also boats directly from the Peace Park to Miyajima
Jan 8th, 2010, 09:59 AM
cwn

Hi,

Be sure to visit the Hall of Rememberence at the PP park...it is a very moving experience.

If you can, do use the luggage trasnfer service, it is great not to have to deal with luggage while you are changing location and sightseeing at the same time...ranks right up there with the great train service in easy of traveling in Japan.
Jan 8th, 2010, 03:16 PM

I see, there is a boat from the PP in addition to from Hiroshima port.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3454.html
Jan 8th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We haven't started packing yet, so depending on our luggage we will either leave the bags overnight while on Miyajima, or backtrack to the station from the PP and get the JR line to the ferry terminal.

Hawaiiantraveler - I am busily cutting and pasting parts of your 2008 Cherry Blossom trip into my "mission control" (you know, the folder that has all your printouts and info in it, as we are covering some of the same areas! We leave Monday.
Cheers.
Jan 9th, 2010, 08:45 AM

Here is a Japanese site for the Hiroshima bus and tram schedules and maps if you haven't seen this already. It is very easy to get from the PP back to the JR station and over to Miyajima-guchi.

http://www.hiroden.co.jp/train/rosen...eetcar_map.htm

I am glad that someone finds something I write useful,lol. Enjoy your trip and tell us about it when you return.

Aloha!
Jun 6th, 2010, 10:06 AM

Sorry to hijack this post but I was wondering how much time one might want to spend at the Peace Park. We are considering taking the train to Hiroshima from Tokyo, going to the Peace Park then grabbing the boat from PP to Miyajima. Can we do that in one day and have a reasonable amount of time at the Peace Park?
Another question. Would we be better off seeing PP then spending one night in Hiroshima then leaving for Miyajima the next morning. Then spending one night in Miyajima?
Or doing Tokyo-PP and arriving in Miyajima in one day and therefore spending 2 nights in Miyajima?

Hey hawaiiantraveler. I know you are the master guru on japan so any insights would be great.

Thanks!

Search this Thread