Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Visiting China, HK and Taipei, have some free time and need suggestions

Visiting China, HK and Taipei, have some free time and need suggestions

Dec 24th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Visiting China, HK and Taipei, have some free time and need suggestions

Hello!

I will be in Beijing, Shanghai, Taipei and Hong Kong on a trip with 70 of my classmates. This is a pre-organized trip so most of our sightseeing and hotels are pre-planned/pre-arranged. However, I still have some time left in each city to do a few things on my own:

Beijing: Staying at the Beijing Renaissance Capital hotel.

One evening, after 8 pm the group wants to go clubbing and I'm absolutely not interested in this. After a certain age, clubbing and such is just beyond me. Any interesting things you feel I could do instead? I love photography, FWIW.

Shanghai:

- Have almost a full free day (9 am to 4 pm).

Hong Kong:
- There is one evening at Temple street. I've never been there. But I've heard its touristy. Should I do it just once? Thoughts?

Taipei:
- Shilin night market: One night we're going there from 7-9 pm and then the folks are heading clubbing. Any suggestions on what I can do after?
- Have a dinner at Xin Yeh another night. After that we're free 9 pm onwards. Apparently there is a 24 hour bookstore in that area. Is it worth visiting?
- 2.5 hours in the afternoon at Jiu Fen streets. Any suggestions on vegetarian food there?
- 11:30 am to 4 pm on another day: Completely free.

We will be visiting in the first two weeks of January.

Thanks!
Dec 26th, 2012, 04:07 PM

Have only been to HK from your list. Thought the Temple Street night market was fairly touristy, but then I'm not a huge fan of night markets. If you aren't buying and just want to wander through a take a few photos you probably won't need to spend much time there.

Is your only free time in HK limited to that one evening? Views from Victoria Peak are gorgeous arriving just before sunset (I think just after 17:30 in January) on a clear evening. Lines for either tram or bus can be long so plan accordingly or you'll only get a nighttime view (still beautiful and great for photos). We also enjoyed taking the Star Ferry. Ambivalent about the laser light show, though it's free if you're passing through.

Doesn't sound like you have a lot of time but Lantau Island is another nice place if you have time to visit Tai-O. Personally I would skip the Big Buddha but that's just me.
Dec 27th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'll take a look at Tai-O but I may not have that much time. I've been to the the Big Buddha and Po Lin Monastery before and actually liked it. I've heard the vegetarian food at the monastery is pretty good.
Dec 30th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi!

A friend suggested:
- Wong Tai Sin or
- Ten thousand buddhas monastry
- Chi Lin Nunnery

Any suggestions on these if I had to pick one?

Search this Thread