Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Visiting China? Have a 2nd thought. (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/visiting-china-have-a-2nd-thought-1671923/)

jobin Sep 17th, 2019 10:19 PM

Visiting China? Have a 2nd thought.

Had a good laugh when i read this report. LOCKDOWN HOTEL: THE PARTY IS NEARBY.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/09/12/...ary-functions/

jacketwatch Sep 18th, 2019 09:24 AM

My goodness! Unthinkable. :furious:

What if you are flying home one of the days???

jacketwatch Sep 18th, 2019 04:26 PM

What jobin said about the hotel lockdowns is true.
We were in China a year ago for around 11 days and all went well.

MmePerdu Sep 18th, 2019 04:28 PM

I'd put it somewhere between "yikes!" & about as weird as travel gets. Come to think of it, some of my weirdest travel moments have been in China.

Anyway, good one jobin!

janisj Sep 18th, 2019 04:43 PM

That would be a REALLY important little detail for visitors.

. . .

crellston Sep 18th, 2019 11:25 PM

I can think of worse places to be put under curfew than a Grand Hyatt.

We worked on a volunteer project in Sierra Leone a few years ago and spent some time in the capital Freetown. When staying in one of the worst hotels we have ever known, we were locked in whilst one of the many "secret societies" held one of their many meetings/parades in the streets outside. The staff joined in and left the foreign "guests" locked up behind steel doors and barred windows. I bet those in the Hyatt at least got a free buffet!

jacketwatch Sep 19th, 2019 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by crellston (Post 16988277)
I can think of worse places to be put under curfew than a Grand Hyatt.

We worked on a volunteer project in Sierra Leone a few years ago and spent some time in the capital Freetown. When staying in one of the worst hotels we have ever known, we were locked in whilst one of the many "secret societies" held one of their many meetings/parades in the streets outside. The staff joined in and left the foreign "guests" locked up behind steel doors and barred windows. I bet those in the Hyatt at least got a free buffet!

My God that’s scary. How long were you under lock and key?
Did a minute feel like an hour?
No good deed goes unpunished so it is said.

crellston Sep 19th, 2019 09:32 PM

We were only locked up for an evening, maybe 4-5 hours. Did a minute feel like an hour? Not really, we had got used to it by then as it was (almost ) the last in a very long chain of events that caused us to cut short our time in the country. As they say, "what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger" total BS of course, but it helps at the time :-)

kja Sep 19th, 2019 10:12 PM

@ crellston: There are many times when I envy your travel experiences. Other times, not so much. ;)

jacketwatch Sep 19th, 2019 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by crellston (Post 16988821)
We were only locked up for an evening, maybe 4-5 hours. Did a minute feel like an hour? Not really, we had got used to it by then as it was (almost ) the last in a very long chain of events that caused us to cut short our time in the country. As they say, "what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger" total BS of course, but it helps at the time :-)

And I thought an AC which sounded like a jet engine was bad,

Glad you are around to tell the stories man, :tu:

Gl

zebec Sep 25th, 2019 04:01 PM

'We didn't fly across an ocean to be stuck inside your hotel.'

For better or worse, I once stood up to Authority in Huanglong park. A power-hungry young cop had refused entrance to our guide, an inoffensive young woman who'd previously guided American Senators and the like. In other words, she was a real pro, with all the necessary paperwork I.D. to prove all that. Lucy had already been with us across that part of China for a week, and not once had any issues whatever. For some bizarre reason unknown til this day, the stern cop would not allow her to accompany us as we prepared to take the lift up towards the park's main section. She was almost in tears.

I got real pissed at the egotistical policeman because we'd paid for Lucy's services to include hefting some of Mrs Z's weighty camera gear up through the park, a necessity as my wife had recently been ill. I got in the bully cop's face and embarrassed him in front of a long line of local tourists. There'd been no logical reason for his excluding our innocent guide.

Unfortunately, my bravado later caused our guide to be fined. I paid the fine and also chose to write a lengthy, detailed description of what happened for her supervisors back in Beijing, so that she'd not be blamed.
She eventually gave up guiding for a teaching career and is now a school Principal in the Guilin area.
I am done. The end.

kja Sep 25th, 2019 07:41 PM

FWIW, I think the moral of zebec's story is that if working with a guide in a country like China, it would behoove one to think long and hard before placing that guide in jeopardy. It is, I think, extremely unlikely that any of us would full know or understand all the issues involved. JMO.

crellston Sep 25th, 2019 09:49 PM

It rarely pays to argue with anyone in uniform in a foreign country. In many countries, including China, this confrontation could have had much more serious consequences for the guide than a fine. It sound as though it wasn’t only the guide acting in an "egotistical" manner. In many cases, there is usually little to be gained by confrontation and causing someone in authority to "lose face" in the Far East can have serious consequences.

kja Sep 25th, 2019 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by crellston (Post 16991679)
It rarely pays to argue with anyone in uniform in a foreign country. In many countries, including China, this confrontation could have had much more serious consequences for the guide than a fine. It sound as though it wasn’t only the guide acting in an "egotistical" manner. In many cases, there is usually little to be gained by confrontation and causing someone in authority to "lose face" in the Far East can have serious consequences.

Well said, crellston.

jacketwatch Sep 26th, 2019 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by zebec (Post 16991578)
'We didn't fly across an ocean to be stuck inside your hotel.'

For better or worse, I once stood up to Authority in Huanglong park. A power-hungry young cop had refused entrance to our guide, an inoffensive young woman who'd previously guided American Senators and the like. In other words, she was a real pro, with all the necessary paperwork I.D. to prove all that. Lucy had already been with us across that part of China for a week, and not once had any issues whatever. For some bizarre reason unknown til this day, the stern cop would not allow her to accompany us as we prepared to take the lift up towards the park's main section. She was almost in tears.

I got real pissed at the egotistical policeman because we'd paid for Lucy's services to include hefting some of Mrs Z's weighty camera gear up through the park, a necessity as my wife had recently been ill. I got in the bully cop's face and embarrassed him in front of a long line of local tourists. There'd been no logical reason for his excluding our innocent guide.

Unfortunately, my bravado later caused our guide to be fined. I paid the fine and also chose to write a lengthy, detailed description of what happened for her supervisors back in Beijing, so that she'd not be blamed.
She eventually gave up guiding for a teaching career and is now a school Principal in the Guilin area.
I am done. The end.

I am happy the guide landed on her feet so to speak.
Pick your battles. You are lucky you were not fined or arrested though I certainly understand your outrage. Brother I’ve been there. Sue and I practically melted the buttons on a customs officials blazer in Delhi when he was trying to shake us down for a bribe.