Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Where to go for a Couple Days from Hanoi

Old Jan 9th, 2018, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

A friend has a week in Hanoi. She has traveled a lot in SEAsia, but it's her first trip to VN. She is interested in going somewhere in addition to Hanoi. I suggested Mau Chau or Halong Bay, but wanted to provide her with some other options. Pretty ecletic in what they like to do, but no long, difficult hikes. Any suggestion for some place she and her sister could go for a couple days from Hanoi?
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi eYestravel. I agree with your suggestion of Mai Chau. People also recommend Ninh Binh for a day or two trip from Hanoi, but of the two, i preferred Mai Chau.
No need to take strenuous hikes there (I don't "do difficult" either.) In Mai Chau and its surroundings, there are nearby villages--some relatively "touristy" but still imho great fun. They are called Lak 1 and Lak 2,
What kind of accommodation do they like? I stayed at a lovely "resort" hotel, a bit out of the main town, surrounded by mountains and rice fields. There are easy local walks (or bike rentals--possibly from the hotel) where they will through the surrounding farms. It is called Mai Chau Eco Lodge. NB: on the weekend, there were lots of Hanoi families with happy but noisy kids at the pool and dining area.--avoid then, if possible. There's a similarly named small guest house right in town which gets great reviews (I passed it, but didnt stay) called Mai Chau Lodge. Perhaps have your friend ad he sister check TA reviews for more details and photos and see if that appeals.
I also agree with your suggestion for a cruise, as long as it's not just a day trip. I loved the overnight cruise on one of the Indochina Junk Company boats, to Bai Tu Long Bay (via Halong Bay) if they'd rather be on water on a small comfortable boat with yummy food, and the fun of other folks--I traveled solo and met singles, couples, friends, multigenerational families, from all over the world--another fun idea! However, the actual trip from Hanoi to MC will be an hour or so shorter than to the one to the Halong Bay dock.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cali. As I recall the drive to Mai Chau was rather scenic? Is that a correct memory? I was amzed when I had googled Mai Chau how much more developed it was then when we were there 6-7 years ago.

Can you tell me anything aobut Ninh Binh as I wasn't there on our trip.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 01:54 PM

Agree with Cali. We were in Vietnam in May and did the two night Bai Tu Long Indochina junk trip and were picked up from there to visit Ninh Binh and Mai Chau. This part of Vientnam was one of the best of our three weeks Very scenic.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

live42day-thanks! Would it be too much to go from Hanoi to Halong Bay for an overnight on a junk. The next day after docking back at Halong around noon, go to Nihn Binh for a night/day? I don't think there is enough time to also incude Mai Chau.

What were the highlights for Nihn Binh?
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 05:56 PM

We went to Ninh Bihn after the Mai Chau Valley. It’s like Halong bay on land, with limestone karsts rising above. There’s also lakes and rivers to be rowed on with natural caves in the limestone. We saw langkors romping around on the karsts, and heard tales of their formation by mythical beings. Another highlight for us was lunch in a rural homestay.

Your friends could go straight to NB with a private car, it takes about 3 hours. We used Ethnic Travel for our private tour, they came highly recommended by this forum. The drive back to Hanoi from NB according to Rome2rio is 1 hour. Perhaps we went the long way, I recall it was more like 3 hours. In any case, they could fit in an overnight with time for a row boat ride and scenery (same same but different) to Halong Bay.

FWIW, I thought the Mai Chau Valley more scenic and far less developed than NB, that was April 2016. There’s more details in my TR - Another SEAsian sojourn
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 06:58 PM

sardonic i know it seemed forever to get back to Hanoi, but our driver was extremely careful, and slow....
If your friends want a more active time then I would suggest Mai Chau and Ninh Binh over the boat on the bay. It is amazing, but with limited time I would chose the land version.
Ninh Binh we hiked, biked and went on a row boat tour. I think I liked MaiChau better of the two as well. The hiking was more scenic.
If you want to see my trip report it is here
https://debbeanddougstravels.travellerspoint.com/66/
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 12:18 AM

2 days for Ninh Binh NOT Mai Chau (3 days) but I would prefer Halong Bay (Worth a visit). Hiking => Ninh Binh
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the post YT! And everyone's replies - planning our March trip now
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Glad to be of service.

Last edited by yestravel; Jan 10th, 2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 07:10 PM

h again, YT, and welcome to the new Fodors as we all try to get the hang of it!
I thought of Mai Chau as a sort of VN version of a Swiss village surrounded by green hills. Yes, ui recall at least p art of the drive back to Hanoi as scenic. I came from NB and the drive got more scenic as we got closer to MC.
In Ninh Binh, the big attraction is the wet caves (there are different ones) and also, if they are into history sites, the ancient kings village. Neither are right IN the town of NB which is itelf uninteresting---noisy trafficky, characterless. The interesting stuff is outside the central town.
Leaving the boat at HaLong pier, getting a private driver to NB, staying overnight there then back to Hanoi, is certainly do-able but it seems rather rushed.
At which point of the trip will they be, when they do the excursion from Hanoi? They might be ready for some r and r, instead of car travel time.

You said your friend has a full week in Hanoi, which is (others may disagree) more than enough time. With two nights away, it leaves her five nights remaining in Hanoi. Four nights there--three full days, plus some extra--imho is sufficient. Again, JMO. . But perhaps three full days in Hanoi, and then a trip to Mai Chau and NB over three nights,(sort of a triangle to/from Hanoi) would make for a nice experience of city plus two quite different geographical countryside areas.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, CaliNurse. Getting the hang of this new format will take me some time. I appreciate your description of NB.

This will be at the end of a trip which has the first half a work one in Bhutan and then 1 week in Laos where a friend living there will take them around. I liked Hanoi and we found 5 days there a good amount of time, but everyone is different with cities. I'll be interested to see what they choose among the different options.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 10:00 AM

From Hanoi I did a trip to Halong Bay and another trip to Sapa. I think both were 3 day trips (or maybe 4 for Sapa). For Halong Bay, we just booked it in one of the travel agencies. Unfortunately it was very foggy and the view was not as great as on all the pictures you see. To Sapa we took the train - I personally preferred Sapa. But if I hadn't been and had to choose between the two, I'd probably have chosen Halong Bay just because it looks so amazing on the pictures and it was to be one of my highlights in Vietnam.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelThoughts
From Hanoi I did a trip to Halong Bay and another trip to Sapa. I think both were 3 day trips (or maybe 4 for Sapa). For Halong Bay, we just booked it in one of the travel agencies. Unfortunately it was very foggy and the view was not as great as on all the pictures you see. To Sapa we took the train - I personally preferred Sapa. But if I hadn't been and had to choose between the two, I'd probably have chosen Halong Bay just because it looks so amazing on the pictures and it was to be one of my highlights in Vietnam.
Thanks! We also had fog the first day on Halong Bay -- it was sort of ethereal so I still liked it. Our return day was less foggy but still not real sunny and it was still nice. I think it will depend upon what type of activity they decide to do. They will wait until they get to Hanoi to decide.
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 12:53 AM

At this time, Hanoi and neighboring areas are quite cold, so Halong is usually cloudy and sprinkling. Mai Chau and Ninh Binh are the two good places to travel from Hanoi. In this season, Mai Chau has plenty of peach blossom and the landscape is very beautiful. About Ninh Binh, you can come here any time. Your activities will be not much affected by the weather condition. The best things to explore in Ninh Binh are Trang An and Tam Coc - Bich Dong.
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 12:06 AM

Wow, I just googled images of Ninh Binh. That looks amazing! Good reason for adding Vietnam back on the travel list
Old Jan 13th, 2018, 04:44 AM

Thanks for this discussion. Vietnam is definitely on the top of my list! One of these days.....
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 04:57 AM

I am in Hue right now after 5 nights in Hanoi, 2 nights outside Sapa at the Topas Ecolodge. We also did an overnight trip to Halong/ LanHa Bay with Oyster Cruises. Loved Hanoi but the best part was a street food tour which was fantastic. I highly recommend doing this there with Mark from Street Eats. Also really enjoyed the cruise, despite cloudy weather. Loved the Topas and hiking in the mountains outside Sapa and visiting the hillside tribes in the villages. We took their van instead of the train but others who took the train one way said it worked out really well.
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hurrygirl
I am in Hue right now after 5 nights in Hanoi, 2 nights outside Sapa at the Topas Ecolodge. We also did an overnight trip to Halong/ LanHa Bay with Oyster Cruises. Loved Hanoi but the best part was a street food tour which was fantastic. I highly recommend doing this there with Mark from Street Eats. Also really enjoyed the cruise, despite cloudy weather. Loved the Topas and hiking in the mountains outside Sapa and visiting the hillside tribes in the villages. We took their van instead of the train but others who took the train one way said it worked out really well.
Thanks! I will pass on the name of the food tour. Glad you're having a good trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -