Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Visas for Cambodia and Laos (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/visas-for-cambodia-and-laos-819673/)

roosevelt Jan 1st, 2010 01:54 PM

Visas for Cambodia and Laos

We intended to get our visas when we arrived in the airports in Cambodia and Laos. We were recently told that it is better to complete forms on-line and obtain visas before leaving for Southeast Asia. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kathie Jan 1st, 2010 02:11 PM

Both visas are easy to get upon arrival. Frankly, I wouldn't bother doing on-line visas for either country. In fact, I'm not sure Laos has one.

silverwool Jan 1st, 2010 03:01 PM

Just have your photo(s), passport and pen ready and it takes no time at all. (A lot of people seem to spend five minutes looking for their bits. If you are organised you are at the start of the queue) In Cambodia you fill in a form and hand your paperwork and money to an official sitting at one end of a line of similarly clad minions. Then stand at the other end. When everything is organised the person at that end holds up your passport. You collect it and leave. Simple. I can't remember what the procedure was at Laos but it was very painless.

roosevelt Jan 1st, 2010 03:37 PM

Thanks for that information

susiesan Jan 4th, 2010 05:55 PM

How many photos are needed for each countries' visa? We will be going to both Cambodia and Laos too in Feb. I have 1 photo left over from some other trip and if I only need 1 for Cambodia (which we visit first) then I'll assume I can get a photo taken in Cambodia for the Laos visa fir far less than the local Costco, where passport photos cost $6 for 2.

Kathie Jan 5th, 2010 11:15 AM

You need one photo for Cambodia, three for Laos.

You can also download the visa application for various countries from the web and fill it out before you go. No scrambing for pens or trying to fill it out as the plane hits turbulence...

Vientianeboy Jan 11th, 2010 01:55 AM

Technically you need 2 for Laos, certainly not 3. You will almost certainly only be asked for one.
Laos does not have an on-line visa available.

Kathie Jan 11th, 2010 06:51 AM

VB, the Lao consular site for the US says they require 3 photos. I've seen people who got by with two photos and I've seen them ask for three.

gingsa Jan 11th, 2010 08:35 AM

It took less than 10 minutes when I went to Cambodia. I think they took photos, and charged, for people who did not arrive with any.

cruisinred Jan 11th, 2010 09:23 AM

For the photos, you don't need expensive passport photos.
I just had a digital pic, cropped it on my computer so that just my face was showing, made it passport photo sized, and then printed it in color, on paper.

Vientianeboy Jan 11th, 2010 05:32 PM

Kathie most people get by on one. No one I know has been asked for three and hardlyeeer for two. I think you are confusing Laos with Cambodia.

Kathie Jan 11th, 2010 05:48 PM

Cambodia asks only for one.

Here is the Lao Embassy website for the US embassy:
www.laoembassy.com

And here are the visa requirements: (The fee has gone up since I was last there)

"Procedure (Updated on August 18, 2009)

l. Documentary requirements:

* Two application forms filled out in duplicate.
* Three recent photographs.
* a passport must have at least six months remaining validity.
* If applying by mail, enclose prepaid envelope for return of passport.

2. Visa fees.

* $ 50.00 - US citizens (including Service Charge)
* $ 57.00 - Canada citizens (including Service Charge)

* The fees must be paid by money order or certified check only

3. Validity of Visas.

* All types of visas are issued for one entry and must be used within two months of issue date.

4. The Length of Stay:

- 30 days from the date of entry and can be extended by the Laos Immigration office.

If you need more information please contact to the Consular office of the Lao Embassy at 9.00am-12.00 noon."

Hanuman Jan 11th, 2010 05:58 PM

What's the fuss here? Carrying 3 passport size photo vs. carrying 1? I would go with the advise from Kathie and the laoembassy.com.

silverwool Jan 11th, 2010 08:28 PM

I always carry a few spare passport photos just in case. The cost of a few extra photos is nothing compared to the cost of an overseas trip.

Vientianeboy Jan 11th, 2010 10:58 PM

Hanuman and Kathie have posted information regarding btaining a visa before arrival, obtained at an embassy either in person or by mail. The op asked for information about visas ON ARRIVAl. It pays to read and answer the original post.

Visas obtained beforehand are also more expensive - not the much higher fees quoted by a previous poster to those required for a VOA. It is very easy to obtain a visa on arrival.

By the way, I re entered Lao yesterday. Not one of the pasengers requiring a visa was asked or more than one photo. It is always a good idea to carry a few spare photos anyway.

pammiebarnes Jan 16th, 2010 03:47 AM

You need to $25 to exit Cambodia to you have to pay tp exit Loas

Scotters Jan 16th, 2010 02:25 PM

The exit fee of $25 above is the airport tax which is paid seperatly and not included in the airline fare. If you exit by land there is no fee. The airport fee for Loas is $10 and is included in the ticket price.