Visa's for Vietnam and Burma

May 27th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Visa's for Vietnam and Burma

Anybody have anything to say about a travel visa or any other documents that may be needed.
May 28th, 2004, 06:52 AM

Visas for both VN and Burma must be obtained or arranged in advance. There is no visa on arrival for either country. Both have embassies in Bangkok where you can obtain a visa (as well as in other SE Asian capitals). You'll need a passport photo or two for each visa in addition to your visa fee. For VN, you have to specify a date you will enter VN. You can enter after that date, but cannot enter before that date. Regular tourist visas for each country are 30 days.

Both VN and Burma are experimenting with allowing travel agencies to pre-arrange visas. Some people have reported that this is more trouble than it is worth - it's certainly more money than it is worth. You must have a visa in your passport (or a fax from the travel agency indicating your visa status for pre-arranged visas) in order to board the plane to either country.
May 28th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Kathie , What should i do if im in the US and not going thru Bangkok or a travel agent?Should i have the tour company from these countrys maybe handle this? What are my other options?Thanks for your comments!!!!!Steve
May 28th, 2004, 07:45 PM

You can easily get a VN visa from either the embassy (Washington DC) or the consulate in San Francisco. I got mine from the consulate in less than a week turnaround. I don't have the web address readily available, but you should be able to find it online.

You should also be able to get your visa for Burma from the US. As you know, you have to send your passport in order to do this, so give yourself plenty of time to complete both visas. I haven't done the Burma visa (I cancelled my trip because of the abduction and re-imprisonment of ASSK last May), but had done all the research and was ready to do so.
May 31st, 2004, 06:52 PM

Here is the web site for the Vietnamese embassy.

http://www.vietnamembassy-usa.org/co.../visainfo.php3
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank You for the info.....
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:04 PM

I couldn't relinquish my passport when out college group was getting its visa [I was in Belgium at the time] so I just mailed it to the embassy. I did use Fedex overnight both ways. They were very efficient.
Jun 9th, 2004, 06:37 PM

If you have a layover in any of the cities that have Vietnamese consolutes, such as Bangkok, Hong Kong, Singapore, you can get a visa issued cheaper and usually in the same day. Check for holidays and hours to make sure. In a pinch, you can get a visa on arrival, more expensive (about US$70) and you will need a fax in hand from the agency in Vietnam who arranged your visa on arrival. You can find these agencies on the net and they are reliable.
Jun 9th, 2004, 07:20 PM

Velo, a pre-arranged visa is not a visa on arrival. Getting a visa in one day at any city you mentioned has a hefty fee attached.