Vietnamese travel agency

Search

Vietnamese travel agency

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vietnamese travel agency

Has anybody used the services of Indochina Travel Services,based in Hanoi?
I would appreciate feedback on their services.
Thanks
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Well, you've posted 3 times in the last two months on Vietnam travel agencies - twice on Indochina Travel Services and once on Vietnamstay. Have you done a search on this forum?

We used Tonkin travel as have a couple of others here. We were totally satisfied. Good pricing, reliable service. Why don't you just use them?
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 07:58 AM

CestGaston:
A smart traveller always scopes out the market before handing your hard-earned money over. There are too many sharpies in the Ha Noi travel business to accept any recommendation unchecked.

VietNam is not a destination where you really need a tour unless you have special needs. In one end and out the other - on an OpenJaw ticket.

Indochina Travel Services enjoys a good reputation, has no claims against it at VNAT and employs fully licensed guides unlike other Ha Noi agencies recommended elsewhere in this forum.

There is one complaint against them concerning a hotel with a blocked drain, which I guess could happen to anyone and is not really the tour ops fault.

Having a licenced is important fr the traveller as you know that all licence carriers have been trained and rigorously tested and are able to speak at two licences. A knowledgeable guide adds to guests enjoyment.

You should be aware that things are tough in the VN travel business this year and hotels are frequently offering tour ops (and simple travel agents) discounts of up to 75% off rack rate. This means you should be equally tough in negotiating a deal. IF you use a tour VN visas are available at no cost.

Another way to cut costs, when pre-paying by credit card, is to demand the tour op/agency invoice you in Dong as well as Dollars. You can contact your credit card company and find out how it will cost you to pay each way. When billed in dollars they use 'dynamic exchange' which is where Visa/M-card grabs you for high fees. By having Dong entered on the charge (by the seller in VN) you usually save quite a few points. VN Vendors are required BY LAW to invoice in Dong and Dollars.

Happy travels.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 08:33 AM

re: BMT's comment about credit card charges: Know what foreign exchange premium your credit card charges. Most cards issues in the US charge 3% If you card charges 3%, the option to have your charges made in dollars will save you money - unless your card considers charges in US dollars made form other countries to still be "foreign." Some credit card companies do, and charge you 3% on your dollar charge.

What kind of services are you looking for from a VN travel agent? Booking hotels, flights, guide services?
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Capital One does not charge a conversion fee (and I get 1% cash back as well). My Citibank cards would certainly charge the conversion fee even if the charge was in dollars, and if it's in dollars you will probably get a lousy exchange rate.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 02:44 PM

Dynamic Exchange Rates are NOT credit card merchant 'commissions' or, more properly called, 'credit card service charges'.

The 3% 'commission' Kathie alludes to is the fee charged by credit card companies - a 'skim' off the total.

DER is the currency exchange mechanism now being promoted whereby the conversion rate is NOT in the interest of the card user. Always have LOCAL CURRENCY AMOUNTS entered on the charge slips NOT USD$.

For others takes on Dynamic Exchange Rates read: < http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-983832.html >, < http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...g-arrival.html >

An online Dynamic Exchange Rate table can be found here: < http://www.x-rates.com/cgi-bin/cgica...?value=20000&b >
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 03:52 PM

Thursdays, Capital One is the only card I know of that doesn't charge a conversion fee.

BMT, you have missed my point entirely. My point is to know what your credit card charges, and to inquire what the exchange rate would be under Dynamic Exchange Rates (and whether your card will charge the commission even if the charge is in US dollars). Only then can you tell whether DER is to your advantage or disadvantage. The most recent time I was offered DER it was to my advantage. But I certainly checked first. As in most matters there is no absolute answer, only the answer that applies to you in a particular situation.
Old Aug 30th, 2009, 12:49 PM

Cetgaston:

Don't know about Indochina Travel but I do know about this one: http://indochinavoyages.com

I can assure you that you'll be highly pleased by their service. I know I was!
This is a totally locally-owned tour operator who also has a dedicated website for the Halong Bay cruises, check it out: http://www.halongjunkcruise.com

The owner (and now my new friend) used to be tour director for a major US based tour company and offers the flexibility only a smaller outfit will offer you.

And for the record, I do NOT have an interest in this company. I just feel the smaller operators, who may or may not have the exposure the mega-operator have, also deserve a vote of confidence and public recognition from their satisfied customers.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback ! Specially BuonMeThuot (any relation to Ban Me Thuot ?)
Regarding credit cards fees,my feeling is that they sc..w us anyway they can ,these days...