Asia Forums

Post New Topic

Recent Activity

  • Announcement:
  • Come explore the new Fodor’s Forum
    by ibobi Fodor's Editor | Posted on Dec 4, 17 at 08:03 PM
View all Asia activity »
  1. 1 Trip Report Mongolia - Blue Silk Travel
  2. 2 Nha Trang,Vn taxi
  3. 3 Please Help First-Timers to India!
  4. 4 Trip Report RHK's Fall SEA Trip
  5. 5 4 nights in Himalayas - Bhutan,Nepal, India?
  6. 6 Bago or Golden rock
  7. 7 Looking for advice on first-time Hong Kong trip
  8. 8 Trip Report Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
  9. 9 Bangkok
  10. 10 Sri Lanka compared to southern India, which do you prefer?
  11. 11 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
  12. 12 Please help! Planning honeymoon in Malaysia!
  14. 14 altenratives to Chiang Mai for "northen Thailand experience"
  15. 15 Restaurants in Bangkok
  16. 16 Food for thought- Restaurant suggestions for India Feb 1-18
  17. 17 Junk boat cruise-halong Bay,VNam
  18. 18 Need some info on travelling to Malaysia?
  19. 19 Unique Map & Guide to Tokyo
  20. 20 Sulawesi
  21. 21 Racism danger in Cambodia?
  22. 22 8 Days in Bali
  23. 23 two health related questions
  24. 24 Princess Cruise
  25. 25 Best day trip from Phuket
View next 25 » Back to the top

Trip Report Vietnam Part 4 - Hue

Vietnam Part 4 – Hue


The rains had become more frequent and heavy during our stay in Hoi An. Typhoon Haiyan had been threatening for days, but we had decided to continue on with our trip to Hue, which lies some 80 miles away. We had never been through a typhoon, and assumed the hotel would keep us safe and that it would be an interesting experience. I explain this attitude to show that even experienced travelers can be naïve. The huge force of Haiyan never did hit the coast of Vietnam, but if it had, the Hue would have been devastated. Stay away from typhoons, unless you are in rescue mode.

At any rate, the route we were to take led back to Danang and then north parallel to, but not hugging, the coast. With great reluctance we checked out of the Betel Garden in Hoi An. A shuttle bus had arrived and, while not the large bus we had been told would be taking us to Hue, turned out to be very comfortable. We soon stopped at a bus garage in Hoi An and were told to disembark. By then the rains were drenching and the temperature was still rising. After waiting quite awhile in the stuffy humid interior, we were told to proceed to another location – on foot, dragging bags (including a huge plastic bag holding all our lanterns), in the rain. I was not a happy camper at this point. At this second location we waited again, and eventually another vehicle came. This time it was indeed a large bus, but not your average Greyhound. It was the dreaded sleeper-bus that we had actively attempted to avoid booking.

These buses are the size of our long distance buses here in the U.S., but instead of seats, they are equipped with reclining seats. This may sound really good, but trust me - this is a once in a lifetime way to travel. And I mean it – do it once with foreknowledge of how uncomfortable it might be, but never do it again. There are three sets of seats on the level where you enter the bus, roughly 2-2-1 on our bus. Then above that are another level of seats, a mix of two rows or three rows, 2-3 seats deep. One accesses these by climbing bunk bed style ladders, or just standing on the arms of the seats below and hoisting yourself up. Our bus was partly loaded when it arrived, so there wasn’t much choice. Turns out, there were loads of relatively well-situated seats, full of boxes, so obviously they use the buses for cargo runs, too. I thought I would find 2 seats together on the lower level, but no luck, so save a single lower seat for Mike and clambered to the final row on the upper which had an open seat. I really didn’t want to be on a lower interior seat, with no view and no air circulation, so I opted to be up top. One young American guy kindly shifted over for me, giving me an outer seat. I stashed all my stuff next to an elderly Vietnamese lady on the lower seat. So there we were, sprawled out with our feet encased in spaces surrounded by hard metal boxes, which were not designed to hold big western feet. You could rest your feet on top of the box if the person in front of you was sitting upright, but that would risk having them squished, should that person suddenly lower their seat back. My choice of upper seat meant I did have better air circulation, but that air was rank with the odors emanating from the nearby toilet. And there was still no view. I was getting grumpier by the moment. Mike, meanwhile, was completely unaware of my situation. He had a view, and no stench, but he was hardly in a blissful state, as with no foot room, he was forced to adjust his body, which led to hip discomfort. We stopped when we got to Danang, some people got off, and I moved to an upper bunk with a view and no unpleasant odors. Much happier, I could now settle in to enjoying the trip a little. Funny, how that works. It reminds me of the children’s book called "Too Much Noise", where the inhabitant finds his home too noisy. When he follows the advice of the local sage, he ends up thinking it is all just fine. No more spoiler here, just get the book for your kids or grandkids. We had one more stop en route. Time for some fresh air, a stretch and a bowl of not-too-bad pho.

I have included a link to pictures, but all I can say, is “Why does everyone look so happy?”

By the time we arrived in Hue, it was mid-day, with no clouds, no rain and blisteringly hot. The hotel staff had told us that the shuttle bus stop was just a few steps away, and they were right. The problem was we hadn’t taken the “shuttle bus”. We had disembarked at the last stop for our bus, a true bus station. I had the hotel address written down, and we asked for directions, still not realizing that we were not “steps away”. After about 20 minutes of redirection and sweaty walking, we arrived at the New Star Hotel. It’s a fairly large business style hotel and quite sterile in every way. The room and breakfast are ok, but not great. The location is good, and it does have a rooftop pool but it took me a day to discover it, as the staff made no mention. Issues with charges led us to leave, so I do not recommend it. More on that later.

After checking in, we set out to find a cold drink and some food. It didn’t take long to discover the Little Italy/DMZ restaurant and bar. We had snacks and some ice- cold beer – extra-large glasses of Tiger draft. Mmmm…good. The family near by said they really liked their dinner and the place has good reviews online.

Then it was off to the Citadel/Imperial Palace. It was mid-afternoon and we expected to see it at a trot, but we didn’t know what the remaining days’ weather would hold, so we wanted to at least get a glimpse. It was a fair walk down the esplanade along the Perfume River and across the bridge. The compound is far larger than we had imagined. We spend about 2 hours constantly on the move, and I don’t think we saw everything. Some areas were closed, but in the heat-induced stupor, I think we still missed a good chunk of it. We did see horse-drawn and motorized carts but did not figure out how to book one. Even though the grounds were rather neglected, and much of the architecture is being rebuilt after the destruction of the war, it is still an impressive site to visit and highly recommended. Dripping though we were, we headed over to the Royal Antiquities Museum, as entrance was included in the Palace fee. It was quite a trick finding this building, as we thought it was inside the grounds of the Citadel. In fact it is east of the grounds. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the clothing, battle gear, jewelry and furniture. However, it had no AC and few fans, so it was a bit of a slog. Mike ended up sitting outside in the garden. It was rush hour as we headed back to the hotel, and the vehicle pollution was really getting to me, so we tried to keep inside the park boundaries between Le Loi and the river. We ended up walking that stretch several times during our stay, but always found a new sculpture to enjoy and it was always a welcome break from the streets. It was on this route, that we saw a group practicing for an outdoor cultural show. We had hoped to see it in the evening, but the rain ended up being too heavy. Not sure if it took place, however there is an office for these cultural shows near where you can rent boats to go out on the river. Continuing our walk, we saw another Indian restaurant very near to our hotel. We decided to return there for dinner.

You might be wondering why we are in Vietnam, and now in its culinary capital, and not eating indigenous food. The simple truth was that we got lazy. We had planned to check out “royal food”, but once in Hue, the reviews seemed less tempting, and the desire to get dressed up and take a taxi, totally unappealing. However, Shiva Shakti (27 Vo Thi Sau Street) was fantastic! The food was delicious, interesting and cheap. The service was excellent. And it was at most 5 minutes walk from our hotel.

We had only one more full day in Hue, so we decided to visit and art museum we had passed on one of our walks. The museum houses a wonderful exhibit of La Ba Dang. He was born in Quang Tra but lived in France from 1939. His exhibits have been shown around the world and he has international recognition. Have a look at the photos of this really wonderful art or visit the website –

We had hoped to do a tour to the tombs in the afternoon, but the weather was turning nasty, and none of the boats were running on the river. Because a car and driver would be expensive, and the weather might make the trip impossible to finish, we decided to forgo the visit. It remains one of our regrets. Next time…. We did take a taxi to the local Ho Chi Minh museum – closed for lunch - and then on to the Thien Mu Pagoda. I loved the pagoda, with its lovely garden and vistas, and its massive entry guardians.

By the time we got back to the hotel, the storm was getting closer, and it became clear that our flight might not be leaving the next day. I asked if we could extend our checkout time and then if we needed to spend the night, book an extra full night. The staff checked with the manager, who was all too ready to take advantage of people in potentially dire straits. If we wanted to stay until next afternoon we would have to pay an extra full day, and at a higher rate than I had booked. No thank you. We went for a beer, and then I started searching for a hotel near by to book for the next night if necessary. I found a couple with reasonable pricing and reviews. We went off to the roof deck where Mike sat and read while I worked had an agro-releasing swim. We ended the day with a relaxed dinner knowing that we would not be homeless on the following day.

That night the rains were torrential. By the morning, our daytime flight had been cancelled, and another one added for 10 p.m., but no guarantee that it would actually happen. We decided to walk to the nearest place on my list and see if they still had space. The Holiday Diamond Hotel was the polar opposite of the New Star. It is a small hotel, with a tiny area for eating meals. It has a small lounge area, a tour booking desk and Internet terminals. It’s in an alley off the street, so you have to look for the overhead sign and then walk as there is no car access. We were absolutely drenched by the time we entered their doors. They immediately rushed to see us in and offer us hot drinks, all before we booked anything. We explained the situation and said we would like to book a room, but that we might leave and return again, if the flight didn’t depart. Would they keep our room after we checked out to leave for the airport? Of course! They insisted on sending a porter and taxi at their expense back the short distance to the New Star in order to pick up our bags. I was delighted to see that the New Star manager was at the desk when we checked out. We could show what truly good service was like and she was not very happy.

Fully ensconced in our new digs, I decided to have a shower and crawl under the covers for a bit. Mike skipped the shower part. When we awoke, I was getting dressed when I noticed that the large rip-stop bag holding much of our stuff was missing. Mike headed down to the desk, and they proceeded to call the taxi driver, assuming the bag must have been left inside. Mike decided to walk back to the street. There on the side of the street, tucked out of the rain, was our bag. Mike surmises that it was not stolen because it looked just like the bags they use for trash collection. I prefer to believe there are just kind and honest people in the world. We spent the rest of the day sipping tea, and getting to know the staff. Who’s dating whom, who came from where, who’s going where. Great fun actually.

With the storm in full force, not to mention the possibility of flooding, almost every restaurant near the hotel was closed. But not our lovely Shiva Shakti. We had another wonderful meal while watching the rain drench the streets and passersby.

Our flight did leave that night and almost on time. We had once again had to adjust our travel plans – no tombs and no Perfume River trip- but we it was still a good stay. And the Holiday Diamond Hotel will remain a fond memory for years to come. I hope we can stay there again one day.

Photos:[email protected]/sets/72157640598123503/

No Replies |Back to top

Sign in to comment.