Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Vietnam-Mai Chau (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/vietnam-mai-chau-1711276/)

ebhebert Nov 15th, 2022 04:29 PM

Vietnam-Mai Chau

We are planning a trip to Vietnam in May and want to take a 2 night trip from Hanoi to Mai Chau. We are planning to stay at the Mai Chau Ecolodge. Has anyone stayed there who can share their experiences? Also, we will be hiring a private car from Hanoi to Mai Chau and back. Any recommendations on car services? I think we can get a car service from the Ecolodge but wanted to know if anyone had used those services?

crellston Nov 18th, 2022 10:03 AM

We have visited the Mai Chau Valley several times over the years. it has changed a lot over the last 20 odd years as more and more tourists visit. Many of these are weekenders from Hanoi so avoid the weekends if possible. It is however, a stunningly beautiful valley. We haven't stayed at the Mai Chau Ecolodge though did stop there for lunch on of our treks. It is a very nice place.

The easiest way to get there would be to ask your hotel to arrange a car and driver to take you there. It shouldn't be too expensive (unless you are staying in one of the 5* hotels). There are a multitude of private car services operating out of Hanoi but I hesitate to recommend one as I never use them. If you have the time, pop into one of the many travel agents to get a price and compare with your hotel price. IME hotels usually don't rip off their guests - too much!

Another option, would be to book an inclusive toor that includes transport and accommodation.

Here is a link to our blog entry covering one visit where we trekked and drove fro Mai Chau to Ninh Binh via the Black River Valley and Pu Long NP https://accidentalnomads.com/2014/12...-and-mai-chau/

ebhebert Nov 18th, 2022 10:44 AM

Thank you so much for the information! Also, loved the blog!

crellston Nov 18th, 2022 10:53 AM

You are very welcome. If you have any questions about Vietnam, do ask. we have spent a lot of time there over the years.

Larsay Nov 29th, 2022 10:54 PM

MC Ecolodge

To start with, if BAN LAC is crowded, POM COONG, on top of a small hill behind Ban Lac, is not because very little parking available. I always stay at the Homestay N° of Mrs COM, terrasse with great view on rice-fields and mountains and Mrs Com is a great Cordon Bleu. However, I know the MC Ecolodge well(2 lunches there and I have visited the bungalows). Beautiful place, with pool and large panorama. Reserve a bungalow on top level to better enjoy the view.

Larsay Dec 18th, 2022 05:51 PM

Sorry for forgetting; Mrs Com's house in POM COONG is N° 6

Duong_Nga Dec 18th, 2022 11:07 PM

Mai Chau is beautiful place where you can make the trekking tour around the ethnic village, contact the local people. If you go to Mai Chau, Mai Chau Ecolodge is the best option hotel there, moreover you can consider Mai Chau Lodge or Mai Chau Sol Bungalow for cheaper cost. Depending your group size, you can consider to take a private car or sharing bus.

Another option, i'd like to recommend you, Pu Luong Nature reserve, closed by Mai Chau, you can consider to stay 1 night in Mai Chau and 1 night in Pu Luong. In Pu Luong, you can see the terrace, the ethnic people and quite calm area. Cheers

Larsay Dec 18th, 2022 11:24 PM

Mai Chau Ecolodge is "the ebst option" is you have money ! Most people prefer to eat and spend the night in a Thai homestay house on stilt, more authetic.

Pu Luong is great, but the only public way to go there is the Pu Luong Ecolodge, nice, but not cheap either +, STAY AWAY on week-ends because of stupid karaoke blasting until sometimes 2AM and NO WAY of having it stopped. If Pu Luong, the very best is the DELUXE homestay (eh yes, surprisingly, 2 really deluxe rooms) of Tam and Tung in BAN HIEU (beautiful walk to Ban Hieu Waterfalls)