Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Vietnam Itinerary & Hotel Recommendations - February 2010 (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/vietnam-itinerary-and-hotel-recommendations-february-2010-a-785267/)

ddunn May 18th, 2009 04:49 PM

Vietnam Itinerary & Hotel Recommendations - February 2010

Hello,

We will have 9 nights on the ground in Vietnam. We'd like to see Hanoi, Halong, Hue, and Hoi An. How many nights would you suggest in each? Any good hotel recommendations? We're looking for comfortable 3* boutique hotels under $75 p/ night.

Any good restaurant finds?

We will be flying in and out of Hanoi.

Thank you,

-David
San Francisco, USA

Smeagol May 18th, 2009 09:23 PM

Hi David?
Have you been before? I ask because i think you could short change those places with only 9 nights (and dont forget it takes time to get to each of those)
I am alos planning my trip to Vietnam this November and am trying to make sure i spend some quality time in each place (i have 16 nights and only have 4 places on my list!!)

Others will chime in i am sure. check this web out for fab advice on Vietnam www.reidontravel.com written by an expat

Cat12345 May 18th, 2009 11:10 PM

For most tourist, 9 nites are adequate to see Hanoi, Halong, Hue, and Hoi An, unless they want to become Vietnamese.

3 nites in Hanoi -land- 2 nites in Halong -flight- 2 nites in Hue - land- 2 nites in Danang/Hoi On.

Cat12345 May 18th, 2009 11:15 PM

Don't really think Halong worth to spend 2 nites.

Cat12345 May 18th, 2009 11:31 PM

Most people look at Vietnam as tropical.
February could be pretty cold in Hanoi and Halong.
Hochimin City would still be in the 90 degrees at the same time.

Craig May 19th, 2009 02:00 AM

We had 5 full days in Hanoi in April this year which was just about right. There is plenty to do in Hanoi. We also had 2 full days for our overnight Halong Bay trip. We would not have wanted to stay longer on HB. That part of the trip uses up 8 of your 9 nights - maybe you'd want to reconsider your plan. The weather in February could be chilly...

jm1971 May 19th, 2009 08:03 AM

I was in Vietnam last fall and visited all the places you mentioned. I was very happy with the hotels I was booked in.
Hanoi-Daewoo hotel-nice hotel but a little ways from city center, however cabs are cheap so not really a problem.
Halong-Halong Plaza- nice hotel, great huge swimming pool, practically had it to myself
Hue-Imperial hotel-LOVED this hotel probably my favorite hotel I stayed at in Vietnam. Even if you don't stay here, do go up to the roof top at night and have a drink. You get a 360 degree view of Hue at night...absolutely beautiful.
Hoi An- Palm Garden resort. Nice hotel on the beach. Unfortunately stayed there during a monsoon and it rained buckets, but still a great place to stay, Hoi An is a lovely town, even lovelier when you don't have to wade through a foot of water !

Kathie May 19th, 2009 08:10 AM

I'm of the opinion that slower travel works best in SE Asia. You need some time to absorb an experience of the place. personally, I think you are trying to cover too much in your 9 days. I spent a week in Hanoi and found plenty to do. Remember, as Smeagol says, it takes time to get from place to place. Some travel days you'll spend the whole day or almost the hwhole day in transit, so 3 nights somewhere becomes two days.

junglejelly May 19th, 2009 01:58 PM

Life Resort ..Hoin Ann ..superb

Cat12345 May 19th, 2009 06:43 PM

3 nites could be 2 days or 4 days, depends on the departure/arrival time.
Travellers should adjust transportation schedules as part of the planning.