Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Vietnam in November--Skip Hoi An/Hue altogether?

Vietnam in November--Skip Hoi An/Hue altogether?

Sep 15th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Vietnam in November--Skip Hoi An/Hue altogether?

Hello! My bf and I (early 30s) are planning a two-week trip to Vietnam coinciding with a friend's wedding in Saigon. The first week will be spent in the north in and around Hanoi, but we are trying to sort out our second week after the wedding. We were considering flying to Da Nang and spending the week in and around Hoi An and Hue, but I've read that the weather in November is likely to be terrible. This is our first trip to Southeast Asia, but it hopefully won't be our last. My question: should we just skip central Vietnam altogether on this trip given the uncertainly (or certainty of rain) of the weather? We both wanted to see the region but are wondering whether our time is better spent in Da Lat or the Mekong Delta or on a beautiful beach in Phu Quoc or somewhere similar? Any feedback from those in the know is greatly appreciated!!!
Sep 15th, 2018, 09:36 AM

The weather is not going to be good in Central Vietnam’s coastal areas so I would avoid Hue and Hoi An. The weather in the Central Highlands will be a lot better in Nov. Dalat is ok for a day or two but it wouldnt be my first choice. Ther3 are some good trelking opportunities around Buon Ma Thot, Pleiku Etc.

For me it would be a waste to go to Vietnam just to sit on a beach but Phu Quoc is as good as anywhere. Personally, I would head down to the delta. many people will only go on a day trip but a week would be a great amount of time to explore. You should be able to cover. Ben the, Can Tho, Vinh Long and Chau Doc with ease in that time or maybe a cruise. There are some really nice Homestays in the delta. There are several entries on our blog about our time there @ https://accidentalnomads.com/categor...ica/argentina/

I suppose if you wanted to split your time you could go from Saigon to Chau Doc, see a bit of the delta from there and then get the ferry to Phu Quoc from Ha Tien. I am not sure but I think there are flights from Can Tho to Phu Quoc so you could combine Cai Rang floating markets if Can Tho with the beach. Lots of options!
Sep 15th, 2018, 08:14 PM

Could you do that on your arrival in Hanoi?
Plan A: Central VN (Hue and Hoian)
Plan B: Southern VN (HCMC, Mekong Delta and Phu Quoc/ Dalat)
In case of bad weather in Central VN at that time.
Sep 16th, 2018, 11:39 AM

I'd plan to skip central VN altogether. It isn't just that it is rainy, but that part of the country has flooding severe enough to cause loss fo life two out of every three Novembers. There is plenty to do/see in VN without visiting Hue and Hoi An.
Sep 16th, 2018, 09:09 PM

Apart from the weather, 1 week in Hue and Hoi An is quite long (maybe 3-4 days). Phu Quoc is also a good choice in November. There are some great cruises in Mekong Delta, so you can consider that.
Sep 17th, 2018, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone so much for the feedback, we needed the "okay" to skip central in favor of other areas, knowing that we can visit that area on another trip when the weather is better. I think we are going to do the Mekong Delta plus a few days relaxing in Phu Quoc, which will be earned after the first part of the trip in Hanoi, Halong Bay, and Saigon!

Last edited by smithgardner; Sep 17th, 2018 at 07:10 AM.

Search this Thread