Vaccination in Preparation for Vietnam

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Lien Truong

Vaccination in Preparation for Vietnam

To those who have traveled to Vietnam: What shots did you have to take before going to Vietnam. Some web sites say to consult your doctor, but when I did, he asked me what I needed. Maybe I need to see a more knowledgeable doctor, but in the meantime, can anyone let me know the must-need shots. How far in advance should you have them done? I've been told to do Hep A & B, typhoid and malaria pills. Can someone confirm or suggest others? Thanks in advance.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 11:57 AM
jj

Lien, try this site for more competent info.

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/

Depends a lot, where exactly you will be travelling in Vietnam which is a large country.
Went this spring and didn't need typhoid nor malaria pills.
Had Hep A and B for a trip before.

Depends as well, how you will be travelling, i.e. staying in good hotels or backpacking and where you intend to eat.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Lien Truong

Thanks JJ. I actually looked at the cdc web site. Thanks for confirming that it is competent because I wasn't sure. We are going Dec 22 to Jan 7 on a tour package, not back-packing it. We're staying at 2,3-5 star hotels and will start in South, Central, and North)...Saigon, Can Tho, Phan Thiet, Hue, Da Nang, Hanoi. Sounds like Hep a & B for sure since I've seen that requirement almost everywhere. Any thoughts on how far in advance to get the shots? Thanks again!

Lien

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Joe

Lien - Let me preface by saying I am not a doctor, but I believe the Hep A and B are good for several years (if not more)once the series(yes series) of shots have begun. I am familiar with the requirements, as we're going to Saigon/Ho Chi Min and the Mekong delta in November. We're getting typhoid and malaria pills and my wife had to get current on the Hep A & B (I already had been given both). The Hep A and B you could get anytime before leaving as they will be a series of shots (3) at certain given intervals. The first initial shot, one month later for the second, and then 6 months later for the final. Be sure to get both A and B. (It used to be just the A) There is a shot now that has both innoculations - minimizes the needle sticks. I would say a month prior on the typhoid (at least), and the malarial depends on the type of pills you are taking. If the doctor you are talking to isn't knowledeable, try to find a travel clinic, or another doctor. Good luck...

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Kathie

The cdc website has all the info you need.

Hep A & B can be taken in a combination shot as mentioned above. At present, it is considered effective for 10 years. Typhoid vaccine is effective for at least two years and comes either as an injection or a series of (three?) pills. Also, make sure you are up to date on your routine immunizations, tetnaus & diptheria, and polio. Get started on your immunizations soon.