Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Urgent Itinerary & phone Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/urgent-itinerary-and-phone-questions-926923/)

ready2go4 Mar 8th, 2012 01:39 PM

Urgent Itinerary & phone Questions

Hello all,

We leave for Vietnam in a week! And I'm still planning. I have a few specific questions, which follow:
(Family of 4: 2 adults and 2 children, ages 11.5 and 13.5, younger child adopted from Vietnam in 2000.)
1. My 13-year-old really wants to go to stay Vinpearl resort and it's amusement Park in Nha Trang. I have read very mixed reviews of the Park. SO I do not want to make a special stop in Nha Trang unless the Park is pretty great.

Our Itinerary :
Arr: HCM City late on March 17 - CHeck out on MArch 19 (Staying at Sherwood residence apts),
Arr: Phan Thiet March 19 - Check-out March 22 (already booked)
Arr: HCM City - March 22 (Sherwood again)
Arr: Hoi An - March 23 - Leave March 26 Wanted to stay at Palm Garden, which looks full (plan some cooking, biking, photography)
Arr.: Hanoi March 26 - Leave March 30 (back to USA)
(plan Water Puppets, day trips, other depending on weather) Hoping to stay at Essence but it's family rooms are booked, so am trying Sherwood Residence.

2. What's the best way to make international and domestic calls in Vietnam? I have an iPhone 4S, but I'm not sure if I should bring it. I've heard there are better ways to make calls. Any advice is welcome.

3. Any advice on Sherwood Hanoi and/or beach-front hotels in Hoi-An truly appreciated.
Plus Vinpearl Nha Trang.

Thanks again, Diane and Family

sf7307 Mar 8th, 2012 03:50 PM

The best way to make calls is using Skype --- you will need WiFi access, which we found was available absolutely everywhere in VN. We called home either using the iphone app on my iphone 3G or using the laptop every other day. I opted for being able to call my kids on their own cell phones (rather than computer to computer, which is free) -- I put $10 in my Skype account, and when I got home I still had about $9.50 in my account (each call is 2.8 cents (US) per minute). If you do use your iphhone, be sure to turn off cell service and data roaming -- you only want to use it on WiFi.

lifemelody Mar 8th, 2012 07:18 PM

It is nearly same distance between going from Phan Thiet back HCM city and going from Phan Thiet to Nha Trang. And from Nha Trang, you can fly to Da Nang airport, transfer by taxi to Hoi An (around 30km). You go with chidren, so Vinpearl complex in Nha Trang is suitable destination. It is complex of resort, restaunants, indoor and outdoor games, under water world and musical fountain show.

Palm Garden in Hoi An is a good choice. The other options are Victoria Hoi An resort, Golden Sand resort, Hoi An Beach resort. Cooking classes are booming in Hoi An, you can see every where.

crellston Mar 8th, 2012 11:59 PM

The most convenient way is to buy a local pay as you go SIM card and insert it in your iphone- should work fine as long as it is "unlocked" Alternatively, buy a cheap unlocked phone that operates on GSM 900 and GSM 1800 frequency. If you are from Europe this should not be a problem but if from the US where I beleive most phone phones are GSM 1900 you will need to check that it will work in Vn (or simply buy one on arrival). Local calls will be very cheap but check the rate for international calls which can vary (but still shouldn't be too expensive).

Skype is the cheapest way but involves having to get access to a computer & wifi - although you can now buy skype phones. My son has one he uses to keep in conatct with his wifes family in Australia - very cheap calls but I have absolutley no idea how it works!

sf7307 Mar 9th, 2012 08:14 AM

<<<Skype is the cheapest way but involves having to get access to a computer & wifi>>>

Skype works on the iphone -- no need for a computer. although you do need to be on wifi.