URGENT - Bangkok - 15 monthold baby

Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
URGENT - Bangkok - 15 monthold baby

Hello all,
over a year since I was in Thailand and can't wait to get back!!! Maybe xmas this year...
Am writing on another matter entirely, though:
Good friends of mine have just been given the final (much awaited) go ahead to adopt a baby from Thailand. They were told last night and have to travel to Bangkok in about ten days time to stay there two full weeks to get through all the formal paperwork. They will be assigned the baby, a 15 month old baby boy, the day the arrive.

Now, the question is: where to stay. COndiering they will be needing space, a relaxing place, somewhere to get to know their baby son and to start being a family. At the same time though, they cannot afford to be too far away from the centre as probably they will need to do quite a few trips in and out of government offices to do paperwork.

What hotel would you suggest? Would somewhere like the Marriott Resort&Spa be too out of the way and with too much goingon? Would somewhere like the Mariott Executive Appartments (Mayfair) feel a little too isolated (meaning in terms of little service). What would you all recommend??

Am so pleased for my friends (this is the end of a long long many-year-long journey to adoption) that I'd like to assist them with finding the best possible location to spend their first two weeks as a family. (ps: the adoption agency will of course probably also suggest some locations but probably only based on location).

Thanks for any help you might have
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:04 AM

First of all congratulations to your friends! I'm not sure which agency your friends went to for the adoption and which government office they will have to contact. If you can ask your friend then I(and others here) can help in advising a place to stay that is both convenient, for travelling, and suitable for a family with a baby.

All I know is that the Thai department of social development is responsible for adoption and they have many offices around town. Ask your friend and let us know.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:05 AM

either of the marriotts would be a good bet for them, esp. the spa....but they might like the apartment options....so mayfair is excellent....also there are several centre point serviced apartments....same concept as mayfair...the aptartment might work well for a "new" family...

take a look at prices at:

www.huahin.20m.com

they list several centre points: silom is good, so is wireless---both near to grocery stores.....luang suan is also near a store...prices around $100 US per nite....
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi Hanuman,
thank you for your message. They office they'll need to be going to (turns out they don't need to go there that often anyway) is Department of Social Development and Welfare (DSDW)
225 Ratchawithi Road.
I guess, however, that the hotel being quiet, relaxed and child firendly is more important than the location (as long as it is within a relatively short taxi ride).
Thanks again
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you rhkkmk, i'll look up the centre point option
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:32 AM

I agree with Bob that a serviced apartment would be ideal for them. Centerpoint Silom would be right next to the Skytrain and next to the river. Emporium Suites is one that a regular on the board, Guenmai, swears by.

And now with the info about where they need to go for paperwork, Hanuman may suggest others.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Katie
just looked up Centre Point Silom and they're all full (surprising really) for the two week period.
am about to go look at emporium suites
if it were me i suspect i might opt for the marriott resort&spa (which i've never been to) just because with 15 days of a lot of staying in and no real sightseeing i guess i'd like the gardens etc...
i keep looking
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:38 AM

Ok I've just talked to the office that you've mentioned(again please congratulate your friends on the adoption of their daughter) and the nearest sky train stop is the "Victory Monument". From there you will have to either take the bus or taxi and in case of a bus it's a 3 bus stop ride distant. The man on the phone said that the process should take from 2 weeks to 1 month so a service apartment is the best choice. I will leave the suggestion for the other posters on this board since I'm a local and have not stay in any apartment around Bangkok.

For your information here's a link to a map and website(in English).

Web site: http://www.rajvithihome.org/banraj_eng.html

Map(in Thai): http://www.rajvithihome.org/map.html
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Hanuman
thanks for congratulations (it is a boy) which i'll pass on, and thanks for the information.
They already have the date for their final panel/interview which is 29 august so they will be staying two weeks in total.
I'll pass on the maps and sytrain stop information
thanks
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Hanuman,
i understand now why you mentioned a girl... the link you sent is something else (same street just number 255 rather than 225)
the office they need to go to is
http://www.dsdw.go.th/
thanks again
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:13 AM

The address that you gave me is an orphanage for girls. I guess they must have some boys too!

Merde!
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:17 AM

Ok now I got it.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:15 AM

Congratulations on your adoption! And, yes, I recommend a serviced apartment. If you go on moveandstay.com there is a long list of them to look at. You need not book through moveandstay though. It's great for the list.
And as Kathie has said, I stay at Emporium Suites which is attached to an an office complex, Bangkok Bank, the skytrain station, and the Emporium Shopping Mall which has a full grocery store on the top level. I can't think of any other building that has such convenience and I've been in a lot of buildings. Plus, you can roll your shopping basket straight from the grocery store over to the building and into your apartment. The corridors are very wide, too making it easy to maneuver a baby stroller and grocery shopping cart. There is a very wide choice of different sized apartments...there are three sizes of studio apartments alone which I have not seen in any of the other buildings I have been in. So, you can check it all out at emporiumsuites.com. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Guenmai.
I personally loved the food hall at Emporium. I'll recommend the Emporium Suites! On asiarooms i see it is quite a bit more expensive than the marriott appartments but i guess location is better
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:50 AM

Also check the prices at sawadee.com. Or you can also contact the building directly which is what I do as I vacation there twice a year. If you can get a coporate discount try that,too. It's cheaper. As I said you absolutely can't beat the convenience and you don't even have to leave the air conditioned building complex to get to the bank, office complex which has Star Bucks and Au Bon Pain...and then a few steps past there is the passage way that leads you directly into the Emporium Mall and next to the elevator and escalator that you can take to the top level where all of the food courts and restaurants are along with the supermarket. There's also a movie theater up there...although you won't be needing that. Smiles. There's also a Boots pharmacy in Emporium Mall and an internet cafe which is quite inexpensive. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:54 AM

I forgot to add that I have been to the Marriott serviced apartment building that you've spoken of. I had a walkthrough of it. As for convenience Emporium is much more convenient and especially with a 15-month old. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:29 AM

I just spent 9 days at the Somerset Suan Park View apartment hotel. There were a number of families with small children there, so I can assure you they are very family friendly. I paid just over $100 per day. It was clean and friendly, and the location is 5 minutes walk from the ChitLom skytrain station. I can recommend this place!!

Carol
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:44 PM

Congrats to your friends on the new addition to the family!!!! My wife and I plan on doing the same thing in a few years!!!!!
Now to derail the thread a bit, Hanuman, I have been reading your posts for a LONG time, but just last week really read your screen name!!! I thought it was something that you made up, but last week my wife got a big Hanuman tattooed as part of her leg piece. We had a lot of help with the local Thai people figuring out how to do it!!! After she got it done we went back to see them, and they all joked with her saying, it demon it demon, not hanuman, wrong monkey! I will have to send you a pic so you can see it. Our e mail is [email protected] send me a note and I will send you the pic! Jeffrey
Derail finished, back to the thread!!!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM

That's so great for your friends, and so nice of you to help them.

The Emporium Suites would be perfect I think. Lots of food, supermarket right there, the big department store there (forgot the name) has a fantastic toy section...I recommend the PLAN brand of toys they sell - really nice wooden, simply colored and fun for little ones. They have cute clothes and baby supplies as well.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all (and Hi Kim!!!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information