Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Urgent advice appreciated-Myanmar 9 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/urgent-advice-appreciated-myanmar-9-days-1160319/)

mister_e Nov 28th, 2016 07:37 AM

Urgent advice appreciated-Myanmar 9 days

Hi folks,

Planning a trip to Myanmar . Was unsure about getting leave approval and now with approval today, the need to plan at short notice. Flying from Bangkok on 10th aim to return 18th or 19th. Thinking of doing the big four Ynagon, Bagan , Inle and Mandalay(surrounds) .

1. Is it better to fly in to Mandalay and work my way to fly out of Yangon? Or the other way round?

2. Is it more rewarding to leave Mandalay out and focus on Bagan and Inle? Then fly in and out of Yangon?(I need to decide on the port of entry to apply for my evisa asap)

3. Can consider a domestic flight or two..Which ones would you advise ?

4. Dabble in photography hence your top spots and tips appreciated.

5. Cannot ride a bike:( what are my options to cover Bagan best? Which places are the best for sunrise and sunsets and how would you advise to get there? Specially if I want to stay back until it is a bit dark?

6. Hearing other names in the vicvinity Kalaw, Mt Popa, Kakku etc..are other nearby places recommended and how o do that?

7. My current thoughts were this:

10th Dec reach Mandalay(or Yangon if other way round ) around noon: cover the city
11th The surrounds including Sagaing Amarapura Take overnight bus to Bagan
12 Bagan
13 Bagan
14 Bagan Overnight bus to Inle
15 Inle
16th Ile
17th flight to Yangon / and Yangon
18 Yangon
19th Fly out

Thanking you in advance for your kind responses. I may have a few questions related to buying tickets for buses and flights and hotels but that is for later!

Kathie Nov 28th, 2016 08:00 AM

I think you might be best served by skipping Mandalay this trip (that is what we did on our first trip) in order to give yourselves enough time to get a sense of Bagan and and Inle and a glimpse of Yangon. So I'd fly into Yangon (lots of choices for flights) and immediately fly to either Bagan or Inle. Spend 3-4 nights then, then on to your next destination. Again, 3-4 nights there, then back to Yangon to explore the city. I'd fly between destinations. Unless you are young and good at sleeping upright on a bus, the flights will be worth the cost - about US$100 per flight.

You could certainly do the itinerary you've laid out, but you will likely feel rushed through Inle and Bagan.

CaliforniaLady Nov 28th, 2016 07:18 PM

Regarding your question about Bagan, it is best to hire a horse cart driver to take you around. The advantage is that they can take you to places that are off limits for cars and buses, so there will be less people at those temples. The driver will have a set itinerary to follow, based on the number of days you are there, so you don't have to worry about planning.

We had our driver pick us up before sunrise, and take us back after sunset. We took a two hour lunch break, but we never went back to our hotel, we just rested at the restaurant. Again, the driver will know the best places to see sunrise and sunset.

I met a brave young lady who was biking around. She showed me how she set up an itinerary on her iphone, and used the GPS to guide her. In theory, it sounds great, but I would not want to bike around with all that dust.

zoso Nov 30th, 2016 04:35 AM

I'm in Began as we speak. We rented ELECTRIC scooters to get around. It was fabulous.Cost was 5000 Kat per day or 4 usd per day.All electric.
You can go off the beaten path it's great! We rented from a man in new Began
Across from Crown Prince hotel.Very nice people.Very honest and helpful.
Do bring a face mask even if u ride on a horse cart.Lots of dust.

zoso Nov 30th, 2016 05:22 AM

Forgot. Sorry....Sunrise and Sunset was excellent at Shwe San Daw Pagoda.
Many people for sunsets very crowed.

We are taking a taxi back to Mandaley tomorrow from Began 60 USD for 2 people
Takes 4 hrs.Booked thru our hotel.No problem.

susiesan Nov 30th, 2016 12:34 PM

zoso: how are the temples looking after the earthquake? Has the damage been repaired yet? Are any of them closed?

welltraveledbrit Nov 30th, 2016 01:14 PM

The advantage of Mandalay is that you can do a one way itinerary as you've suggested, the disadvantage is you don't have a lot of time. I agree we liked the electric scooters too (well until I crashed it!) and spent one day sight seeing in Bagan by car and another on regular bikes which was hard work given some of the sandy paths.

I blogged about our trip here, including the sites/towns you mention...
http://www.somuchmoretosee.com/search/label/Burma

zoso Dec 1st, 2016 02:36 AM

Yes, there are a few closed and many under repair.Some have tarps over them some with scaffolding around them.

zoso Dec 1st, 2016 02:44 AM

We made it back from Began to Mandaley by taxi in the 4 hrs today.
No problems.
Very easy no need to book a tour company in my opinion.Unless you U like
that.
We booked with our hotel.
The cost was 60 USD going and coming for two people.
Did everything on our own. Flew Bangkok Air to
Mandalay.
Stayed at the Sahara hotel...ok place, clean.