Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Update to our cancelled reservation at Mandarin Oriental Chiang Mai (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/update-to-our-cancelled-reservation-at-mandarin-oriental-chiang-mai-571278/)

jvrab12 Nov 16th, 2005 08:03 AM

Update to our cancelled reservation at Mandarin Oriental Chiang Mai

For those of you who don’t know, I received a call from the Mandarin Oriental Chiang Mai last Friday regretting that they had to cancel our reservation due to our villa still being under construction and they would have to relocate us to the Rachamankha. This being our honeymoon and never being able to splurge on such luxury before we were very disappointed.
I proceeded to fax and email letters to the Group Chief Exec, Operations Director for Asia and the Hotel’s GM explaining our disappointment.

After calling and leaving messages, I finally received a reply back from the GM of the Mandarin Oriental Chiang Mai last night.
They have relocated us to the Four Seasons for the first three nights and then we transfer back to the MO for the final night.
In addition, they have offered the following compliments of the Mandarin Oriental: our cooking class, our half-day spa treatments and dinner at the Grand Lanna. In addition, they are providing unlimited use of transportation during our stay in Chiang Mai.

Needless to say, we are extremely happy with the way they have handled this situation. Hubby is also overjoyed because we are saving money!!!

Thanks to everyone who replied to the original post on this. I am going to attempt to write a trip report but I doubt it will be as good as the well-seasoned Fodorites.

Bella_Bluebell Nov 16th, 2005 08:06 AM

Excellent news - I saw your original post and really felt for you as so much planning goes into a honeymoon! Now you will be able to stay at both the Four Seasons and the MO - with all those freebies! Result! :) Have a fantastic time!

BB

rhkkmk Nov 16th, 2005 08:14 AM

FABULOUS....the 4 seasons is beautiful...it is remote which will be fine with the unlimited transportation they have offered...lucky you!!! it pays to speak up....was he full of apologies?? or just business like?? i bet you will get some special treatment on arrival as well...let us know....curious eyes want to know!!!

glorialf Nov 16th, 2005 08:20 AM

Fabulous! I thought they would come through and it looks as though they have. Sounds as though this has turned out to be a good thing -- you'll get to experience both resorts and will be given all those freebies.Have a wonderful time!

glorialf Nov 16th, 2005 08:23 AM

and all should learn -- say something when there is a problem. Good hotels (and especially great hotels) will make it right in some way if you do. In other words, make sure they make lemonade out of lemons. :-)

Gpanda Nov 16th, 2005 09:31 AM

JVRAB-glad to see that our faith in Thai Hospitality was well-founded. Use the money you're saving to buy stuff when you're in CM. With a driver, it will be relatively easy to plan to visit many stores and shops. If you're interested, you could do a search on this forum or quickly ask with a post. Have a great time.

SJLBK Nov 16th, 2005 09:36 AM

I have been waiting for someone to stay at these two places on the same trip so they can do a down and dirty comparison! We are debating between these two for a portion of our honeymoon. I will be awaiting your report!!!

CFW Nov 16th, 2005 05:19 PM

jvrab12, Fabulous! You actually lucked out -- TWO gorgeous resorts instead of one, with all the goodies thrown in for free. You'll love having a driver in both places so you can easily get around and the Grand Lanna is wonderful. Have a great time and we'll all be looking forward to drooling over your report when you get back.

StanKase Nov 16th, 2005 06:19 PM

Sounds great but with all they have offered is it worth the hassle to transfer for 1 night?
Also, I read the food at the FS is over-rated and over-priced.

Martinan Nov 17th, 2005 08:00 AM

jvrab12, I'm so happy for you! Your honeymoon will surely be memorable. Enjoy yourselves and I wish you and your husband a life filled with peace and happiness together!