Search

Update from Casey & Tina's honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update from Casey & Tina's honeymoon

Okay...

We've been here lessthan a week and are already planning to come back. I've gotten serious compliments from other travellers here for " the incredible choices " that I've made and " the awesome planning " ALL thanks to you guys ( Bob, Kathy, JamesA and so many others ). You have all seriously made my honeymoon something special. One bad thing... Tong says that the Grand Palace is closed for days ( damn !!! ). Maybe we can fit it in on our half day after Cambodia... it will be hard to drag Tina from the shopping though. The Blue Elephant was spectacular... Tina saw it in a recommended eats book and I remembered it from this board. She insisted on going to Patpong to see a show ( boring and slimy...yuck ). The Calypso show is definitely something she will want to see...they had something similar on Samui, but we didn't go...thanks again Bob.

Will write again soon,

L
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 08:11 PM

maybe she is going to have you audition for the show??

glad it is going well....i guess GP and other things will be closed until all the festivities are over...some are perhaps staying in the royal guest house there...

it in itself is a reason to return...probably better to leave it until next time rather than squeeze it in and have to run through it...although you could get an idea about it in 1-2 hours time...any longer is toooooooooooooo hot...
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 01:49 AM

Casey - Thanks for the update. I don't think you should leave Bangkok without seeing the GP. It is truly amazing. Try and get there when it opens at 8;30 in the morning. If you can have Tong as a guide, that would really help. For the first hour it will be relatively empty and it will not yet be that hot.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Egads !!! shopping from hell !!!

Scirrocco rained out, looking for an alternate now ( 7 PM here ) if nothing else we will suffer with the Blue Elephant again...seriously yummy ( The fare at Scirrocco wasn't our style anyway, we want Thai while we're here ). I'll try to talk her into GP first before the final shopping trip when we get back from Angkor. Off to find eats ant Calypso Cabaret.

Ciao for now,

L
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 05:51 AM

Check with reception about fireworks and other celebrations, also the Royal Barges on the river which is Monday I think, we couldn't make it into the city but have been glued to the TV here and it's a wonderful atmosphere this weekend, there is just so much going on in Bangkok at the moment, Monday and Tuesday too.
Where are you off to next, CM ? CM Simon is more theatre style than Calypso but I think you will enjoy, have fun !
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 05:56 AM

thai----lets see

face on soi 39, sukhumvit

basil in the sheraton grande on sukhumvit...easy to get to from the skytrain after caberet

cabbages and condoms on soi 12 (??) sukhumvit

baan khanitha, soi 23, sukhumvit

salathip at shangri-la hotel

or my two favorites harmonique and tongue thai not far from new road near to sheraton and sharngri-la hotels
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Extreme memory overload.
Tong...I seriously can't say enough good things about her...maybe the best decision I made for the trip. The Royal Barge Procession was awesome.
China House tonight.
Will write again when my brain re-boots.

L
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM

I am sooo jealous that you were there for the procession. I would have loved to see that!

Don't fret about the GP. I've made 9 trips to BKK so far and have never been to the GP yet!!! Imagine that. My 10th trip is coming up end of Aug. I'll have to arrange to take the time to see it THIS trip!!

Glad to hear that you are loving BKK as much as the rest of us do.

Waiting for more of your report.

Carol
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 02:27 PM

The Oriental Hotel Thai dinner show across the river next to the Peninsula is pretty good. I think it starts at 7PM. You take a boat from the Oriental Hotel. You will probably need reservations.