Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Update for restaurants in Sanur (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/update-for-restaurants-in-sanur-858770/)

SusanneH Sep 10th, 2010 09:22 AM

Update for restaurants in Sanur

I found the 2007 post about Sanur restaurants. I am a senior woman traveling alone and plan to eat early dinners so I won't have to worry about transportation after dark. Will I be able to do dinner at 6pm or so?
Staying near the south end, and I have heard of Massimo's-Italian, but would prefer to eat more native.
thank you,

marmot Sep 10th, 2010 03:14 PM

Susanne I'm not up to date on Sanur restaurants, but in general in Bali many places, especially with local cuisine, are open straight through from lunch to dinner. You won't have any problem finding something at 6:00 p.m.

The sun sets early in Bali (around 6:30-6:45) so you may not be able to avoid being out after dark. But don't worry, there will be plenty of people around and the area is quite safe.

Take a cellphone that works in Bali and call a taxi to pick you up. If you're staying at a resort, you could also call them and they'll send someone for you.

rhkkmk Sep 10th, 2010 03:58 PM

no problem walking in the main parts of sanur after dark...

the village restaurant is fantastic, but basically italian...

at your end of the street there is a very good local place...quite good, but i forget the name....its on the side of the street away from the beach... huge place..

Frances Sep 11th, 2010 03:36 AM

We were in Sanur in November last year. We stayed at La Taverna which is just about in the centre.
There are stacks of restaurants in Sanur and we ate all but one night of our week's stay there. Many restaurants line the beach and there is a footpath which runs all the way down the beach and so passes all the restaurants. This footpath is lit for most of its way but in any event it is busy- you will not be alone. The only time we tried to go to a restaurant towards the southern end of the town we decided to walk along the footpath and came to a point where it was no longer lit. We eventually turned back as we couldn't actually see the outline of the path. We could have got to the restaurant along the road which is bustling with life at night but had chosen the footpath as we thought it would be more peaceful.
We only booked three nights in Sanur but when we were thinking of moving on,the variety of restaurants within walking distance was one of the things that made us decide to spend the whole week there.

Elfincius_Hazman Sep 17th, 2010 06:35 PM

try warung wayan near SMKN3, ask the taxy driver...it's a native restaurant..but i like to try ARENA, well it's a western food..but quite nice

cocomoco Sep 18th, 2010 01:58 AM

Like everybody already mentioned, it gets dark pretty quickly in Bali but there are always people on the street so it's really safe to walk around. And I actually like walking at that time, it's nice and cool.

Anyway you also mentioned that you wanted to eat something Balinese. I highly recommend Warung Blanjong. It's located in the south on Jalan Danau Paso, towards the highway to the airport. If you want to prevent walking around in the dark, you can also have lunch there. It's really good!

Another great places to eat are right on the beach. In the south part you can find little restaurants that serve Indonesian food. They will be happy to serve you dinner anytime of day.

If you want to check out other restaurants I like in Sanur you can see pictures and reviews on http://www.bali-travel-life.com/sanur-restaurants.html.

Enjoy your stay in Sanur. I'm sure you going to have great time because Sanur is a nice place for people travelling alone.

jonbarb709 Sep 25th, 2010 06:25 PM

We have been to Sanur 4 times in the last 5 years. Lots of Restaurants - our favorites:
MEZZANINE - right outside the Puri Santrian hotel.
Almost across the street from the Mezzanine is the Cat and the Fiddle, real local place.
Ribs was one of our favorites
and Cafe Lotus - they have restaurants in Ubud, and Candidasa. - this is a place I would call native.