Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

United Vacations, Pacific Bestours, Delight

Oct 24th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

I booked a trip to H.K. via United Vacations. Is this Pacific Bestours or Pacific Delight.

The former, I believe, since I got a letter today about the bankruptcy filing of Far and Wide Travel. I learned that F&W owns Pacific Bestours. They took a $200 deposit for the trip and I was supposed to pay the balance and fix the travel dates by the end of this month.

I see that Globus has a "rescue plan" for F&W customers. They will give a discount on one of their tours up to the amount of my deposit.

The deposit was charged to my Visa Platinum card, so maybe I can get the deposit back that way. The charge was made on Sept 12 and F&W went bankrupt 11 days later. I'm just surprised right now and trying to get a clue. I'd appreciate any info that you might have about this.

Oct 25th, 2003, 09:07 AM

You should certainly be able to get your money back via a charge-back from Visa. However, since you booked though United Vacations, they may be willing to make good on it.
Oct 25th, 2003, 09:32 AM

Hello. My husband and I just booked a trip to Hong Kong via United Vacations so reading your message was quite concerning. I certainly hope your reservations will be honored! We are still waiting for our final confirmation and documents to arrive so I will now be holding my breathe until they do!

When we were having difficulty getting a call back from our agent last week I asked what agency we were working with. The receptionist replied "United Vacations". When I said that there is no such thing, that United Vacations is just a collection of independant agencies she replied Swain Australia Tours. Guess I'm glad I rooted that information out. I don't know if that helps you at all, but perhaps it will be a tip for future United Vacations travelers to get this info when they begin their planning with UV.

I will add that we had GREAT success with a United Vacations trip to London last February so I am hopeful all will be resolved positively.

Best of luck to you!
Victoria
Oct 25th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, Kathie. I have since learned that "they" are Swain Australia Tours. Maybe they are the travel agent that booked the tour for me through Pacific Bestours (the package organizer) on behalf (or under the name) of United Vacations. Swain got my money and somehow are going to continue to operate (Swain is another company owned by Far & Wide, the company that is going bankrupt).
Oct 25th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Best of luck to you too, Victoria.

Here is some of the info I found:
http://www.farandwide.com/
http://www.farandwide.com/consumer.html