Sanur, in November??

Old May 13th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sanur, in November??

Can anyone tell me what the typical weather would be like in November in Sanur? Is Sanur a good area to stay in for our first time in Bali? Is there enough to do for 3 weeks there?
What could one expect to pay for dinner there? I know lots of questions, but any help would be appreciated. Has anyone stayed at the Inna Grand Bali Beach resort? Is it within walking distance to restaurants and bars?
Thanks,
Rob
Old May 13th, 2018, 09:17 AM

November is moving into rainy season, but even at the height of rainy season it doesn't rain all day every day. You are likely to get brief, but intense downpours, then it stops, the sun comes out and everything dries off.

Sanur is my favorite beach area on Bali - it is actually a small town, so has restaurants and shops and locals (Unlike Nusa Dua which is a purpose-built tourist enclave,) There is plenty to do on Bali for three weeks, but I have to say I wouldn't stay at a beach the whole time. I'd spend at least a week near Ubud, which is the "cultural capital" of Bali. In any case, you'll want to see the whole island, so you'll want to hire a car and driver for some of your days. With there weeks, you could also take a short trip to Java to see Borobudur.

I don't know the Grand Bali Beach resort, but any hotel in Sanur is within walking distance to bars and restaurants.

BTW, Lonely Planet has an excellent guidebook for Bali - and you will want one. Enjoy!
Old May 14th, 2018, 06:39 PM

November is just the start of the rainy season. You'll get a balance of days with rain, days without rain. Impossible to predict whether the rainy days would mean brief downpours or lingering stormy weather, but within three weeks you'll most likely get some of each.

Whether Sanur is the right destination for your trip depends on what you like to do and how you intend to spend your time in Bali. Sanur is a quiet, laid-back beach community with ample moderately priced restaurants, shops and spas, but not much in the way of night life. The beach is protected by an off-shore reef and is calm and good for swimming.

The Grand Bali Beach Resort is a large all purpose resort, well situated on the beach in the center of Sanur. Whether it's in walking distance to where you want to go depends on your destination as Sanur is quite spread out. Taxis, however, are cheap. The hotel was built before height restrictions were imposed in Bali and has the dubious distinction of being the only highrise building in Bali. The gardens are spacious, but the overall the property is somewhat rundown and in need of refurbishing. If you want a big resort with diverse facilities at budget prices, it would suit your purposes, but I think there are better choices in Sanur and other beaches areas.

The cost of food varies widely, so it's impossible to generalize. Local food and local beer in modest surrounding can be quite cheap. Imported wine and spirits can be exorbitantly priced. Hotel tax on food and beverages really adds up.

I would agree that it would be a good idea to spend some time in the Ubud area, which is the center for culture and nature.
Old May 14th, 2018, 11:54 PM

As well as being a pleasant, fairly low-key seaside town, Sanur benefits from a long, long boardwalk, running the length of the beach.

The town itself is long and narrow, probably no wider than 3 or 4 hundred yards, and about 4 miles long.

if you decide to use any of the ferries, make sure it's got all the H&S features you'd expect.

One warning.....beware of money-changers. If the rate looks too good, then it probably is. Never let the person dishing out money touch it again once it's left his fingers. I know that's standard advice, but there are a few sharks in Sanur.

And yep, spend a few days in Ubud. It's only an hour by road from Sanur.