uestion about tours in Bangkok

Mar 4th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

uestion about tours in Bangkok

Hi again!

I have been to BKK once and did the Floating Market and Rose Garden Tour ( the later is to forget and didn't enjoy the floating market much either) but I am going to BKK again with a friend who is visting Thailand for the 1st time and wants to go to the Floating Market!

I was searching for tours and found there is one that combines both the floating market with the River Kwai for a full day at www.bangkok,com.
The prices are very high but I thought I could hire Tong as a guide for this tour.

What do you think? Is it worth the full day? I have to go the the floating market because of my friend but do you have any other idea for a combination of FM with some other interesting place?

thanks in advance
Mar 4th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Somehow the q to question missed in my post titel. I am sorry for that
Mar 4th, 2008, 10:17 AM

tong would be perfect and so would ratt or cherry....

with 2 of you going it would not cost that much more for a private car.....i'm thinking about 3500B all in, give or take...

the day would be from about 6:30AM to 7:30PM....you might also be able to do the tigers

rose garden is horrid..
Mar 4th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

True, Rose Garden is a real tourist trap!!!

But do you think hiring Tong for the floating market and river kwai is a good itinerary?

thanks
Mar 4th, 2008, 01:20 PM

How many days are you in the area? You could go up to Kanchanbury to the waterfalls/hike and go through the Floating Market on the way up. To be honest though the market is pretty lame.
Mar 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Actually, you would be much better off getting Tong or one of her team to take you to the Flaoting Market and then to the "secret place". This is a trip to a fishing village during which you go out on the bay, visit monkeys in a mangrove inlet, eat lunch in a bamboo houise in the middle of the bay and just generally enjoy yourself. many on this forum have done it and loved it. There's a recent post about exactly this day. It's great.
Mar 4th, 2008, 08:03 PM

we loved the floating market...it is colorful, interesting and fun...yes some could consider it "commercial" but it is a positive side of that....

great photo ops....fun to ride in the small boats amongst the action

personally i would far prefer the secret place to kantchburi, which i found to be totally boring and a long way away...the ride back to bkk just about did me in...

i would never take a tour to these places if there was more than one person going, as costwise a private tour with tong, etc would be just as cost effective...
Mar 5th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies and tips!

I was also thinking of hiring Tong for taking us round BKK and visiting the Grand Palace, Jim Thompson House, etc and then to the night market. Has anyone done this?