Udipur to Jodhpur, drive or fly?

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Udipur to Jodhpur, drive or fly?

My family of four (kids ages 15 and 10) will spend a few days in Udaipur then a couple of days in Jodhpur. We are thinking about hiring a car with driver for the trip, but we're concerned about safety and comfort. Is the road between the two cities particularly unsafe? Some of us are susceptible to motion sickness if there's a lot of swerving or jerky starts and stops. I'm not looking for a luxurious ride, but I don't want to have a miserable 5 hours either. Going in a larger car might help. Are larger cars available and how might I arrange for them? Advice (besides just taking dramamine) appreciated.

The alternative is flying, but I only found a non-stop on Air India, which doesn't have a good reputation for reliability.

Thanks to all.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:07 PM

swerving, jerky starts and stops? On Indian roads, that is all you get!

Seriously, driving on Indian roads is quite an adventure and not for the fainthearted.

definitely rent an Suv (like a Qualis)if you do decide to drive. 5 hours in a Tata with just two of us was pretty crazy.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 03:59 AM

Dear Mike,
Roads in India are not as horrible as lcuy has shown picture. Though at many parts roads are being widened to four lanes so is Udaipur to jodhpur. It is hardly 275 kilometers one way but always a return journey kilometer is charged even if you use one way & if you keep the vehicle with you a minimum of 300 kilometers are charged per day. Comfortable Taxi Vehicles are available in udaipur such as TOYOTA INNOVA / TOYOTA QUALIS / Tavera which can accommodate 4 to 6 guests alongwith their baggage & is very nominal. Further you can contact a local travel agent in udaipur for Transportation & Hotel Bookings whose e-mail ID is [email protected] for more / local assistance in Rajasthan. Presently there is only one flight of INDIAN whilh leaves from udaipur at 1705 hrs & reaches at 1745 hrs but to avoid uncertainity, road transportation is preffered & to start from udaipur in the morning & enroute visit the world famous Ranakpur Jain Temples.
Regards,
Sheil
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 04:38 AM

My wife and shared your concerns. We spent most of our India time in Assam, which was marvellous. However, at various times we had to use hire cars and drivers, and they were appalling. They passed on crests of hills and blind corners, used cell phones as they drove, and were - in general - bloody scary.

When we left Assam for Agra and Jaipur, we used a company calld Rajasthan Four Wheel Drive, and they were superb.

The vehicles were like new, and extremely well equipped. The drivers wore uniforms. And the company was run by an Indian who spent time in Australia researching his enterprise. He outs all his drivers through defensive driving courses, and it shows.

For instance, if their cell phone rings while they are driving, they pull over to the side of the road, and stop while they take the call. Totally unlike drivers we used in Assam and Kolkata.

They were mid range price wise, and totally reliable.

I made contact with them following the advice of another Australian who, with his wife, used them for some 10 days of touring - and found them to be exceptional.

At the end of our four days with them, we were even given a gift - an ornate carved wooden box inlaid with brass.

The website is www.fourwheeldriveindia.com

The manager is Anil Sinha, and his email is [email protected]

While based in Jaipur, the vehicles operate in other states adjacent to Rajasthan.

I doubt if Udipur to Jodhpur would be any problem. We paid a daily rate for day hire in Jaipur of $30US. We paid $90US for the journey from Agra to Jaipur (we had to pay for the driver to drive to Agra to collect us and drive us back to Jaipur (for the same journey, our hotel - the Oberoi Armavilas - offered a price of $350US).

The vehicle was equipped with seat belts, bottled water, and first aid kit etc.

It was spotlessly clean. And when we stopped for meals, the food was always superb, and at excellent cafes/restaurants.

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 04:43 AM

I should add...the contact numbers are:

+91 141 657 1122/ 272 2025/ 254 6563

Cell phone for Anil is +9198297 66640.

I contacted him on his cell phone. His English is impeccable, and our phone arrangements work out exceedingly well.

Feel free to email me direct if you wish on [email protected]
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Hi Mike,

I flew from Udaipur to Jodhpur. It was a 30 minute flight and couldn't have been easier.

However, some friends of mine were doing the same flight a few months ago and they plane was delayed and delayed for 12 hours. Indian airlines is fine from a safety standpoint, it just has many schedule issues issues due to fog/smog and simply being in India.

So....I would suggest you drive. Follow Mitch's advice and get a good driver in an SUV. Stop at the spectacular Ranakpur Jain temples on the way. Make a day of it. Hold on tight and close your eyes when the trucks approach You will have more to talk about after you nearly sideswipe a bullock cart or two!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:30 PM

After a couple of harrowing flights on our Rajasthan trip, we decided to go the car/driver route for the rest of our trip. We were on the roads all over the region. The drive from Jodhpur to Udaipur was one of the absolute hightlights -- lovely, interesting scenery (very unique - beautiful terraced farmland) and a fascinating stop at Ranakpur. We would absolutely recommend driving this leg -- it was a great day.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Hello there! Greetings from a American who lives in India!

I would suggest to do the route with car/driver, as the beauty of India is also found in the life on the road, what you see between places, the unexpected surprises, the scenery, the various modes of transport, the animals that pop up, etc.

Plus, u can go at your leisure, stopping when u want for rest stops, photos, stretches, etc..

Domesitic flites are great in India for the big distances, but for a route like this, well, i would be prone to suggest the car/driver route, as it is filled with local color. Plus, by the time u drive to the airport, arrive one hour before, then have a one hour delay?, then the flight,then drive to the hotel you are usually talking about-4 hours, so...

And yes, all size cars are available now, so would probably suggest this!

take care, and feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions. Happy to help [email protected]