Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Udaipur: nice old hotels with a bit of atmosphere, but which won't break the budget?

Udaipur: nice old hotels with a bit of atmosphere, but which won't break the budget?

Sep 23rd, 2004, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

It seems that there are some great places to stay in Udaipur, but most of the really great ones are WAY above a backpacker's budget! At the same time, we don't want to stay in a dormitory and share a bathroom with 178456 other people. In some places we have found our "dream" accommodation: musty old places, faded but fascinating, with corridors that echo, which evoke the era of the Raj, and which haven't changed the furniture (or the plumbing) in seventy years. Does anyone know of a hotel like this in Udaipur?
Thnaks for all suggestions!
Sep 23rd, 2004, 02:55 PM

Alan,
I'm in the middle of finalizing our itinerary for 4 weeks in India in Nov and December.

I'm not sure what your budget is but we've booked into Kankarwa which is reviewed on Frommers.com (sorry fodors)! Our room with private bath is Rs.1,000. It is an old haveli but redone mainly in white with flashes of colour so it may not confirm to your "dream" accomodation!

Another resource which you may already have found is indiamike.com They have a hotel listing section on their board with suggestions.
Sep 23rd, 2004, 03:49 PM

Assume u have already scrolled thru the site I reco www.heritagehotels.com. Take a look at www.hrhindia.com - rates on the site are a bit higher than what u have mentioned but u could write to them directly and see whether they negotiate a bit. ENJOY - udaipur is a gorgeous city.
Oct 11th, 2004, 08:09 PM

Alan-we've just retd from Sth America and I had to post and tell you we met a great couple in El Calafete, Argentina who had stayed at a real gem of a place in Udaipur. I've emailed them for the details as we're about to book for there as well. When do you leave for India? Pls post soon and update us of your plans/trip etc. All the best.
Oct 12th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Hey, Lyndie, nice to hear from you again!

We've taken the plunge and booked our Udaipur lodgings: we chose the Kumbha Palace, a double room for 250R, which is "situated in old city of Udaipur, just down from city palace wall." It's another month before we get there, so it will be mid-November before I can write back and tell you if we made a good choice.

Regardless of the fact that we're committed, I would really love to hear the name and details of the place your friends stayed at. In case when we arrive at Kumbha Palace we find that we're put out in the stable with the camels (or the camel riders!), we have kept the name and address of a "fallback" hotel -- the Badi Haveli, where double rooms are $US7 per night. It wouldn't hurt to have a second back-up!
Oct 15th, 2004, 10:02 PM

Hi Alan-I have not heard from my mates! I found a notepad where I'd jotted down the names of the places they rattled off-Wonderview & Hotel Samovar. Both were apparently very good value. Also Hotel Baba gets a gong! Getting close now, for you! Cannot wait for you to post and let us know how you coped with all those crazy touts etc! We fly Dec 1 for 2 weeks in Krabi, Samui etc then 2 weeks in India so getting excited also! Have a magic trip, Alan!